Great Engineers

pza

Prince
Zup guyzes!

I'd like to express my feelings on great engineers (and/or possibly other great persons).
I feel they're quite (or too?) powerful in the first third of the game, as they complete wonders instantly. Later on, their use is really strongly reduced. Once in the industrial or modern age, they hardly complete normal buildings and manufactories are far less than exciting, often even worse than other non-great improvements of your other tiles. i didn't gather numbers or screenshots this time, but that's been my experience in all of my games that went so far.

Thoughts?
Do we need a new use for them in endgame (e.g. donate to city states for <benefit>)?
Do we need to adjust numbers?
Do we need weight the strength of extreme strategies like full blown great people generation over the "normal" games?
How much do you care about this topic?

One of the reasons their power is reduced in the late game is over-use in the early game. I think they'd have more kick late if you built more manufactories early.

One of the reasons their power is reduced in the late game is over-use in the early game. I think they'd have more kick late if you built more manufactories early.
From what i know you'd need to have 12 manufactories to double the amount of hammers. I might be wrong, but that's a really high number. By industrial age i might have 3-4 engineers at most. (and manufactories are really bad compared to about any wonder to that point.)

I'm pretty sure each manufactory increases the effectiveness of the ability to rush production by 20%, so you'd need 5 manufactories to double the ability.

Yes

If you are getting that many GEs you are suffering in other areas. I think the balance is okay.

there is 2 components of the rush right? base hammers + scaling component. anyone confirm manufactories multiply the totaled number, not just 1 component?

Am i the only one never focussing great engineers?.

Really, i prefer to focus some great merchants in early game. Manufactury is a really bad tile.

Really, i prefer to focus some great merchants in early game. Manufactury is a really bad tile.

I'm the same. I much prefer a Town early game. Honestly, I generally prefer a Town in General.

I'm pretty sure each manufactory increases the effectiveness of the ability to rush production by 20%, so you'd need 5 manufactories to double the ability.
Ok, I currently have no time to test it so i believe you. But i dont think even doubling it via manufactories would instabuild wonders in the late game like it does in the early game. And early game wonders are usually more important.

It depends on how you settle. A tall empire thrives on food, but if you have already many cities you don't need that much growth. Having more production in a few cities, those where you produce most of your units, might be better.

I just hit atomic era in my current game and Manufacturies are granting me 21 production on flat desert tiles, in addition to a few other yields. Now this is buffed by various religious beliefs, buildings, and resolutions but all in all it's a pretty nice tile.

I've planted 4 or 5 throughout my empire and was able to build/invest/GE rush/complete Neuschwanstein (Industrial era wonder) on the same turn in one of my secondary cities (capital didn't have mountains). I think GEs are in a very nice spot right now.

Top Bottom