Great Farmer bonus placement restrictions

Kakafika

Warlord
I'm having difficulty understanding the restrictions for Great Farmers placing bonuses. I have the resources via trade. My map was created with the option for abundant bonuses (won't be doing that again!) and abundant rivers (relevant to the following example). I'd like to go through my process for Guinea Pigs to see if I can get some help about where I went wrong:
Spoiler CIV4BonusInfos :

Code:
<BonusInfo>
            <Type>BONUS_GUINEA_PIG</Type>
            <Description>TXT_KEY_BONUS_GUINEA_PIG</Description>
            <Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_BONUS_GUINEA_PIG_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
            <BonusClassType>BONUSCLASS_LIVESTOCK</BonusClassType>
            <ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_BONUS_GUINEA_PIG</ArtDefineTag>
            <TechReveal>TECH_SCAVENGING</TechReveal>
            <TechCityTrade>TECH_SCAVENGING</TechCityTrade>
            <YieldChanges>
                <iYieldChange>1</iYieldChange>
                <iYieldChange>0</iYieldChange>
                <iYieldChange>2</iYieldChange>
            </YieldChanges>
            <iHealth>1</iHealth>
            <iPlacementOrder>4</iPlacementOrder>
            <iConstAppearance>100</iConstAppearance>
            <iMinAreaSize>3</iMinAreaSize>
            <iMaxLatitude>45</iMaxLatitude>
            <Rands>
                <iRandApp1>25</iRandApp1>
                <iRandApp2>25</iRandApp2>
                <iRandApp3>25</iRandApp3>
                <iRandApp4>25</iRandApp4>
            </Rands>
            <iTilesPer>64</iTilesPer>
            <iUnique>2</iUnique>
            <bArea>1</bArea>
            <bHills>1</bHills>
            <bFlatlands>1</bFlatlands>
            <bNoRiverSide>1</bNoRiverSide>
            <bNormalize>1</bNormalize>
            <TerrainBooleans>
                <TerrainBoolean>
                    <TerrainType>TERRAIN_ROCKY</TerrainType>
                    <bTerrain>1</bTerrain>
                </TerrainBoolean>
                <TerrainBoolean>
                    <TerrainType>TERRAIN_SCRUB</TerrainType>
                    <bTerrain>1</bTerrain>
                </TerrainBoolean>
                <TerrainBoolean>
                    <TerrainType>TERRAIN_PLAINS</TerrainType>
                    <bTerrain>1</bTerrain>
                </TerrainBoolean>
                <TerrainBoolean>
                    <TerrainType>TERRAIN_GRASS</TerrainType>
                    <bTerrain>1</bTerrain>
                </TerrainBoolean>
            </TerrainBooleans>
            <FeatureBooleans>
                <FeatureBoolean>
                    <FeatureType>FEATURE_SWORD_GRASS</FeatureType>
                    <bFeature>1</bFeature>
                </FeatureBoolean>
            </FeatureBooleans>
            <FeatureTerrainBooleans>
                <FeatureTerrainBoolean>
                    <TerrainType>TERRAIN_GRASS</TerrainType>
                    <bFeatureTerrain>1</bFeatureTerrain>
                </FeatureTerrainBoolean>
                <FeatureTerrainBoolean>
                    <TerrainType>TERRAIN_PLAINS</TerrainType>
                </FeatureTerrainBoolean>
                <FeatureTerrainBoolean>
                    <TerrainType>TERRAIN_SCRUB</TerrainType>
                </FeatureTerrainBoolean>
            </FeatureTerrainBooleans>
        </BonusInfo>

I took a look at the modding wiki to figure out what these mean:

iMaxLatitude is the distance from the equator (in either direction) in which the resource can be found. My map is 72 tiles tall, so 45 degrees from the equator would be half of the 90 degrees of latitude to the poles, so it would have to be within 18 tiles of the equator. Curiously, the guinea pigs on the other continent are within 10 tiles, though this may be due to the abundant resources/rivers, bonus placement order at map creation, and the fact that the continent only extends 10 tiles north of the equator (a large island is above it).
bHills, bFlatlands, and bNoRiverSide means that it can found on hills or flatlands, and NOT next to a river.
TerrainBooleans mean that the resource can appear on Rocky, Scrub, Plains, Grasslands, and no others, I think.
FeatureBooleans was not identified at the wiki, but I'm assuming it means that the resource can appear in tiles with SWORD_GRASS feature, which I think is bamboo... maybe Savannah or Tall Grass, though. No others, such as Forests, are allowed. I assume any tiles with NO features are acceptable. One of the GPigs on the other continent is on a naked grassland. One of the GPigs on the other continent has a forest, but I'm assuming it grew there after map creation.
FeatureTerrainBooleans was not identified at the wiki, and I'm not sure what it means. Maybe when TERRAIN_GRASS (and the others) are used as FeatureTerrain here, it points to the Tall Grass, Savannah, and maybe Cactus features? I'm guessing that no other features are allowed, again. Does Great Farmer placement actually *require* one of these? One of the GPigs on the other continent is on a naked Grassland, so I didn't think so.
EDIT: bArea means that the resource will only appear on 1 continent. As I've placed other resources restricted to one continent, I don't think this affects Great Farmer placement (eg Corn, Almonds, Apple, Fig, Guava, Lemon, Camel, etc)

All of the tiles I selected for placement are able to have other bonuses placed on them by the Great Farmer (so no hidden bonuses that prevent placing a new bonus).
All 3 of the tiles I've attempted placement on do not have Fresh Water and are not adjacent to rivers.
I chopped forests on all 3 of the tiles (I think that was necessary).
All 3 of the tiles are grasslands (this is what most of the GPigs are on at the other continent)
Of the 3 tiles that I've attempted to prepare for the resource, all 3 were within 7 tiles from the equator, but only 1 was within the latitudinal range found on the other continent. That one was next to a city, so maybe the Fresh Water from the city is affecting placement?

The only other option I can think of is to clear a forest on a space without Fresh Water, not next to a city, on one of the other terrain types, but but I've been having similar problems with Kangaroos, so I thought I may just be missing something. Regarding Kangaroos - I thought I had found a place for them previously, but can no longer find it; does it matter how long the trade deal has been established? I recently ended the deal and made a new deal that is still under protection from being canceled (less than 30 turns, IIRC). This was not the case when I was trying to place Guinea Pigs.

Thanks in advance for your help! My quick search of the forum showed that somebody else had requested more info on the Civilopedia regarding Great Farmer bonus placement restrictions - I am willing to contribute text entries for each bonus if this would be helpful! I could even commit changes, but would need a walkthrough, as my only experience with github is downloading SVNs using TortoiseSVN for various mods.

EDIT: I should have stated I'm using v39 with a patch I found linked somewhere called "PPIO - C2C v39 - v0.7 in a" from September 22, 2019.

Last edited:
Great Farmer can place any resource you already own (plant or animal) on any tile. You must be using pretty outdated SVN.

Also great farmer can't place any bonus on tile, if tile already has some bonus, even if its undiscovered.
That is great farmer can detect undiscovered resources.
List of map resources, that are revealed after Prehistoric era:
Diamond - Mining
Rubies - Mining
Sapphires - Mining
Lead Ore - Mining
Iron Ore - Mining
Sulphur - Mining
Natron - Masonry
Platinum Ore - Metal Casting
Coal - Coal Mining
Natural Gas - Scientific Method
Oil - Scientific Method
Geode - Geology
Manganese - Geology
Fossil Beds - Geology
Ancient Relics - Archeology
Bauxite Ore - Industrialism
Titanium Ore - Advanced Metallurgy
Uranium - Quantum Physics
Geothermal Energy - Modern Seismology
Methane Ice - Modern Seismology
Hydrothermal Vent - Volcanology

Last edited:
I should have stated I'm using v39 with a patch I found linked somewhere called "PPIO - C2C v39 - v0.7 in a" from September 22, 2019.

Is this all changed in the 9 months since then? Sorry if so :crazyeye:
I was attempting to do one full playthrough to finally experience the "cosmos" aspect of the game... I've only just now passed where I've always ended up quitting in the Renaissance (playing on Marathon with a larger map), so I think I was just poking around the forums to find a stable version that wasn't too different from what I was used to... :thumbsup:

I did note in my original post that other resources were able to be placed on these tiles, so I'm sure they don't have hidden resources

EDIT: I should have stated I'm using v39 with a patch I found linked somewhere called "PPIO - C2C v39 - v0.7 in a" from September 22, 2019.
@Kakafika then you just posted very outdated stuff.
Also we released V40.1 few months ago.
I guess you missed release announcement.

PPIO is integrated in V40.1
V39 is very outdated - it was couple releases ago.

My mistake, sorry! I started this playthrough 9 months ago. It looks like v40.1 is save-compatible, so I think I will switch to it! Thanks for the reply!

My mistake, sorry! I started this playthrough 9 months ago. It looks like v40.1 is save-compatible, so I think I will switch to it! Thanks for the reply!
On V40.1 turn processing will be shorter ;)

Also are you playing on space scenario?
Mapscripts don't generate space.

On V40.1 turn processing will be shorter ;)
It looks like it's overall a great QoL patch, which decided it for me! I normally watch Twitch streams while playing turn-based games anyway, but shorter turn processing is always nice! I'm impressed reading the changes

Top Bottom