1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Great game - awful turn times

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Greasy Dave, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Greasy Dave

Greasy Dave Prince

I've searched for this subject in these forums and can't find anything especially relevant apart from a two year old thread about Civ V vanilla. I'm sure turn times have been discussed already in here - if anyone can refer me to the relevant thread I'd be grateful.

If not, here's my problem:

I have a strong pc - i7 930, 12 GB RAM, HD 5850 1GB video card.

Playing vanilla I never had any really serious problem with turn times - even on large maps (I never played huge). With G and K, it's awful.

I've tried all the advice I've read given for people who had problems with vanilla - turn off animations, play in strategic view, lower video settings and NOTHING makes a difference. I don't want tohave to reduce the number of CS's present or the number of AI's in a game.

I have a large pangea deity game I just finished and at the end, at turn 260, my end turn times were roughly 120 seconds with movement animations turned on but combat turned off - in whatever view, with whatever video settings (I tried medium, high, low, I tried strategic view, and low detail strategic) all of them produce a 2 minute time between turns.

If I turn off BOTH movement and combat animations I save myself 30 seconds and turn ends take 90 seconds. Whatever view I use! Whatever video settings!

I have been unable to get lower than 90 seconds. And 90 seconds is not only too long its almost unplayable! (The last 15 turns of the game took almost 1.5 hours!)

I have one mod active, info addict, when I was playing this game- will playing without this mod improve times?

If you're getting faster end of turn times than 90 seconds on large maps (without lowering the number of cs's or civs in the game) can you post your PC specs and the settings you're playing at, and any other information that might help me lower mine.

I don't want to play standard maps or smaller, every game. And I don't want to have to reduce the number of CS's or AI civs etc - I personally see that as a failure of the game. But right now, I'm kind of cheesed off. The game was fantastic. The time it took to play was the complete opposite.

2. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

I don't understand people with better comps than I do and get worse turn time lategame. My comp is i72600k, GTX 580, 8GB memory. Turn time late game for max civs and city states for me is around 60 seconds at worst.

Are you seeing the whole map too much with your units, because turns slow down when you see people fighting with animations turned on?

3. johnny_rico

johnny_rico one more turn addict

what operating system are you running?

4. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

Since G&K, my turn times have certainly gotten worse. But not so bad as to scream to the heavens.

I think all the CS interactions (i.e., when it comes to spies) is what slows down my games, from what I've seen.

5. Kwami

Kwami Deity

I get pretty bad turn times, too. I played a Huge Rainforest map last week with the default number of civs and city states. By the end of the game, each turn took more than 60 seconds. I have combat animations off, but I left movement animations on. Turning off movement animations seemed to have almost no impact on turn times. Most of the time, I could only see a small part of the map anyway since I was playing very tall and kept my units close to home for defense.

I gave up on vanilla after about a week and never got to try a huge map, so I can't compare.

My PC: Core i7-870, 8GB DDR3, GTX 570, 3 half-full disks in RAID5

6. Xyuta

Xyuta Chieftain

I also find the the time between turn very long,
    due to that i always play normal size maps, but i have to admit i like the fact that you can act between turn.

I managed to buy tiles in cities and pass diplomatic agreement so far, don't know if there is other things that can be done thought.

7. Greasy Dave

Greasy Dave Prince

win 7, 64 bit

I have my steam file on a separate partition to my OS, but not a completely different disk. I've been assured by a friend who knows alot more about computers than I do, that even if I was to move the steam files onto a different disk I won't gain much more than fractions of seconds in terms of time savings compared to separate partitions...

Also, in answer to the other questions, I don't have any units outside of my own lands. My empire is tall not wide, consisting of 4 core cities and 2 puppets.

I think spying and CS high jinks causes alot of the problems. RIght now, with combat and movement animatiosn off I clock 90 seconds a turn. In the ten turns leading up to the first UN election when 5-8 CS's were changing AI hands 3 times a turn the lag was even longer.

8. johnny_rico

If you're running an AV/security application with real time protection, you could add the 'save' and 'game' directories for ciV to the security applications exclusion list.

Not sure if there are 'cache' folders ciV relies on during game play. Cleaning these folders, if they 'exist/are used' might speed things up.

video drivers always another thing to check.

Not to rub it in, but I play on an older xp box with only 4 gb of RAM and an outdated video card. I experience very little latency from turn to turn and have most of the graphics option at higher settings. Point is, I think the issues you're experiencing are more software related than hardware related.

If you shutdown and do a clean restart, then get into the game, are the latency issues evident from the onset or is it a progressive problem?

9. MaximusK

MaximusK Warlord

I turned off the video animations of leaders and noticed a huge improvement. And I don't even miss it.

10. Greasy Dave

Greasy Dave Prince

Thanks for the feedback.

1. Have just tried with my AVG urned off . . and I get exactly the same results.
    2. video driver is up to date.
    3. If I shut down and restart and load a save (from turn 200 onwards) then the latency issues are there from the initial loading. If I start a new game, there are no latency issues. They gradually increase as the game is played, correlating to the number of units, cities and spies that the Ai is controlling.
    4. I don't disagree with you concerning your suggestion that it's a software issue. I'll listen to any advice -but keep in mind that this wasn't a problem for me when I was playing vanilla. I've added no software to my pc since I've installed G and K.
    5.I'm going to see if I've still got any old vanilla large map saves and see what the lag is like with them...not sure if I still have them.
    6. I'll also try a game without infoaddict.
    7.Any idea where I'd look for cache folders and how I'd clean them?

Thanks.

11. Txurce

Txurce Deity

I have the same issues, although with worse specs than you. My uneducated guess is that it's a systems issue: for some reason, certain configurations are having problems. The discrepancy is too big to be software-related, and it's obviously not your hardware specs.

IA isn't a factor.

12. johnny_rico

curious on the behavior of your vanilla games.

I doubt the info addict mod alone is the source of the woes; otherwise, I'd expect more to have the problem. I'm not even sure what the info addict does but from the name I'm sure I'd like it.

the cache folder, if there is one (and there should be), is likely located some where in the my games\ciV\... chain of folders. There should be one for vanilla and g&k, just like there was for civ IV.

You could also try a complete uninstall. I'd dig around google for the means to do so. If this is in fact a software issue, control panel > programs and features > uninstall ciV isn't likely to clean out the registry. Mightyuninstaller or something similar is what you'd be looking for. I'd finish all current games if they're of interest before going down this path.

13. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Vanilla played much faster for me. G&K plays even faster, but only on strategic mode. Otherwise it lags badly after only a few turns.

I did an uninstall, meaning deleting every file and then installing a clean version of the game. It had no effect. Are you suggesting doing something different?

The reason I'm dubious about this sort of approach is that I don't see what would create the huge difference in my case (and that of others) between vanilla and G&K.

14. 19Mellon73

19Mellon73 Chieftain

I think a have indeed read on some forum that people had problems with infoaddict when G&K came out...I'm pretty sure about that

15. Txurce

Txurce Deity

IA didn't work when G&K first came out. It does now. But it doesn't affect these performance issues.

16. Greasy Dave

Greasy Dave Prince

Updating my earlier post. i just reloaded a couple of older vanilla large maps and played them and timed them.

They were immortal not deity games - but the number of cities on the maps were roughly similar. Although the number of units on the maps was probably signifacntly lower. I loaded up games at roughly the same tech level when I was building space ship parts. One, as ASkia, was at similar turn time (250), the other, as Elizabeth was turn 310.

The other thing to bare in mind is that in both of these games I had huge sprawling empires and alot more of the map was visible compared to this G and K deity game.

The times I experienced for vanilla were:

VAnilla, large continent maps, immortal:
    ASkia, with info addict:
    no combat or movement animations - full view = 30 seconds
    no combat or movement animations - strat view = 30 seconds.

Elizabeth (I had a much larger empire and I think there were probably more cities - the map was continents not a pangea...but these are small differences), with infoaddict:
    no combat or movement animations - full view = 40 seconds
    no combat or movement animations - strat view = 40 seconds

compared to
    G and K large deity pangea map
    Korea, with infoaddict
    no combat or movement animations - full view = 90 seconds
    no combat or movement animations - strat view = 90 seconds

Something tells me the problem is with G and K, not my pc or the software it's running?
    I mean those are very big differences in times.

I'm not sure what kind of difference playing a vanilla deity large map would make - they come with many, many more units. I don't have such a game saved. And to be honest, i'm enjoying G and K so much I don't think I'll be going back to vanilla for a while.

I do have a vanilla standard deity game.
    For that game, with no animations but full view I had 19 seconds for end of turn and for strategic view 15 seconds.

MY G and K immortal game at standard size was quicker (10 seconds) - but there was only myself and Austria left at that tech point and only 3 CS's (Austria - you know how she is).

So this seems to be a problem that gets excacerbated on larger maps. And possibly at higher difficulties when there are more units. And definitely when there are more CS's.

17. SMA333M

SMA333M Warlord

If you have these problems on i7, etc... what can I say ? I play on a dual core with 2 gb ram... huge map, 18 civs, 12 city states... :lol: ... and I still think the game should run much better. They should do some optimization or something. I can play any new game with maximum options, without any problems... the only problems I have are with Civ 5...

18. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

This is close to the stats I have and mine runs well. I really think it's processor speed.

i7 930 2.80 GHz
    i7 870 2.93 GHz

i7 2600k 3.4GHz, but it's built to be overclocked, and even with stock fan runs very cool at 4.3GHz, which I do to play Civ5 and other games. My longest wait is 30 seconds(ish) with max map, max civs, max cs's.

19. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Then why would some people with low speeds not have problems? Mine's 2.8, by the way.

I don't think it's any one thing you can point a finger at, or the question would have been answered definitively by now

20. Alanology

Alanology Chieftain

Not sure if this will help but, if you haven't already it may be worth trying to "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" ?

In steam library right click on the game title, select "properties", then under the "Local Files" tab you'll find the button to check.

As I say it may not help, but I've read on another forum that it did help people with similar problems, so maybe it's worth a shot.
    Best of luck.