1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Great game - awful turn times

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Greasy Dave, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Harv72b

Harv72b Prince

I see so many people having this problem and it puzzles me to no end. I have never had lag or long turn time issues with Civ 5--not vanilla, not G&K, not with mods or without (don't use info addict, tho)--and my system is nothing special. That said, I figured out from the get-go that I'm playing this for the game and not for the eye candy, so I have pretty much everything non-essential for gameplay turned off/down...video options are all set to low/minimum, sound is turned off across the board (although I'm usually streaming music in the background while I play), and I use quick combat (I do allow movement animations, though).

OP, are you just talking about having to sit through AI moves? Because those are the only times when I see anything even approaching 30 seconds per turn; when my LOS includes some AI battle going on, which rather ironically means that my late-game turns tend to take longer on smaller maps than on huge ones. :D When I do end up having to sit through that for a few turns I'll amuse myself by trying to figure out if AI1 will actually take AI2's city, and when that gets old, check Twitter/texts/whatever.

2. Greasy Dave

Greasy Dave Prince

@HArv72b

I have the game in strategic mode with combat animations and movement animations turned off.

---------------------------------------------------
    @ Alanology
    I just tried verifying. And I get some odd behaviour. Steam reports that one file failed to validate and will be reaquired. It downloads it. When I verify a second time, Steam reports that all files have been validated. Fine. Good.

I start the game and it pauses to install the new file. If I then quit and verfiy again, again it reports that it was unable to validate one file and reaquires it.....this continues until I get bored.

I have no idea if this has anything to do with my problem. (however, after having studied my save file sizes, I don't think it does - see my following post)

-------------------------------------------------------
    I think there's only one way to work out if it's my pc, or my installation of the game, or the actual game itself is for other people, who have good turn times to test out my save game.

I've uploaded the save file and attached it to this post. I had to compress it because the ordinary file size was 2.4 MB and exceeded the forums limits.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
    You need the mod infoaddict 18 installed.
    And Korea DLC
    Use strategic view and turn OFF combat and movement animations in the options menu.
    You will get 2 leader screens Rome offering peace, and denmark offering a trade. Just click "accept" and dismiss them.

My time for this end of turn is 80 seconds.

Attached Files:

3. Greasy Dave

Greasy Dave Prince

The forum limit made for save file sizes made me take a second look at all my save games and compare file sizes with end of turn times.

I think right there is where the problem is:

G and K, deity, large map -file size = 2.4MB (end of turn time - 90 seconds)

vanilla, immortal, large map - file size =1.6 Mb and 1.9 MB (two different games, 30 seconds and 40 seconds respectively)

Vanilla, deity, standard map -file size = 1. 3 MB (turn time -15 seconds)

So this game which is slow for me, is 25 percent larger than my largest vanilla game. And 100 percent slower.

I checked back over that games save files, and the point when it was the same size as my largest vanilla save (1.9MB) was at turn 160. After that it just kept getting bigger. And as I remember in game, the turns just kept getting slower and slower. I remember close to the end game it gave me a pointy sticks report. Both Napoleon and Pcal were in ridiculous figures of tens of thousands. That extra 500 KB must be full of an AWFUL lot of units.

I'd be really interested for people who have been posting here saying that they don't have problems with end of turn times, to do one of two things.

Either, try my uploaded save file. I'd be really, really interested to hear your comparative results.

Or, check in your save game folder and find the largest save game file you have and see if it's larger than 2 MB.

4. russ555

russ555 Chieftain

I tried to test it but I don't have the Korea DLC :(

5. Greasy Dave

Greasy Dave Prince

Thanks alot. I forgot to put a note about the DLC in the post. :blush: I've added one now. Thanks for trying anyway.

6. HeraldtheGreat

HeraldtheGreat King

I have the same problem! Now I have to use the strategic view when I get to the renaissance.

7. Greasy Dave

Greasy Dave Prince

What's frustrating for me is that strategic view doesn't speed things up.:(

I'm still hoping someone with fast turn times will try loading my game and let me know how long it took to end turn for them. Then I'll know if it's a game issue or an individual pc/software issue.

If it's a game issue, then I might try to somehow draw attention to the problem on the 2K website. AS it is, right now, I don't know if it's my pc or not.

8. peder75

peder75 Chieftain

I tried your save out. Couldn't find Infoaddict 18, so had to go with 19 instead and the next turn took 54 sec. This is my spec.

CPU: i5 2500k
    Graphic card: Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II
    Memory: 4GB
    Hard Drive: Intel 320 SSD 120GB (cache files and saves) + Seagate 2TB (game)

For me that waiting time was on the edge of how long I could think of waiting between turns while playing. Understand your frustration if you have to wait another 35 sec.

9. peder75

peder75 Chieftain

I think this is normal behaviour. There is one file that is always modified as soon as you start the game and will then fail to validate.

10. Xink

Xink King

I tried your saved game and it took 50 seconds for the turn to play...

3570k @ 4.4Ghz
    8GB RAM
    670 GTX
    2560x1440 resolution.

SSD for OS and another SSD for games

High quality strategic view.

I'm not sure if I would want to wait 50 seconds never mind the 90 or so you noted.

11. n00bxqb

n00bxqb Warlord

I've noticed that:
    1) The more naval units, the worse turn times are
    2) The more city-states, the worse turn times are
    3) The more civilizations, the worse turn times are

When I play a huge map, I usually bump down the number of civs to 10 and number of city-states to 20. Seems to make a huge difference. Also, not playing island type maps ...

When did Civ5 introduce multi-threading? I know when it first came out, it was only registering on 1 core, but now it's registering on all 6 of my cores.

12. The A.K.T

The A.K.T Warlord

90 seconds? that is quik. It takes about 2-3 minutes for me.

13. jacktannery

jacktannery Prince

I have this same issue - turn times sped by prior to G&K but now they are crawling once I get into the late game. I have a powerful computer, but I dropped down to small-sized maps to see if it would help - it did not. By industrial era I have to end the game because each turn takes over a minute.

In may case, this excessive turn time seems to be something to do with a mod I use (Thal's CivUP) and some others (but not all) who use that mod have reported the same thing. I recommend that you try playing without Info Addict and see if the extremely long turn times persist.

14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I do not use any mods. I do have a very powerful computer.

I still have very long turn times late game.

15. Furycrab

Furycrab King

The ai with specs like those take every decision very quickly, they just don't take them simultaneously. Turn off combat animations at the very least, turning off movement is probably not bad either on Huge maps like you described.

16. Zanarkin

Zanarkin Chieftain

My games consist of a 'yet not another earth' gigantic map, 20 civs, and 45 city states and in the modern era last night I timed a turn and without interruptions (give me 1000g and all your resources and lets research together! What do you say?) it took 4 minutes.

If I was watching the 'please wait' flash I'm sure I would go crazy but I'm watching TV and seldom notice when it became my turn again. I suggest maybe playing more casual like that. Kick up your feet, turn on some Netflix of Family Guy or South Park, and be amazed at how it's your turn much quicker.

17. Furycrab

Furycrab King

So let me guess... you had animations on, maybe a bunch of vision in a lot of places, bunch of active wars.... Then you wonder why it took so long?

18. Himmurabi

Himmurabi Chieftain

when I'm waiting for my next turn I check all the global politics, deals, and other crap (even thumb through the civilopedia) but I agree it can take away from the game experience at higher turn counts.

19. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

So it's unreasonable to assume that when playing a video game you should be able to see animations?:confused:

20. ahawk

ahawk King

I'm on an Intel Duo Core with Windows XP sp3, but other than that all other specs are above average.

A few things:

1) As at least one person already mentioned, Steam can be a problem. Verify the game cache and sometimes things run more smoothly. Also, be aware that Steam defaults to automatically update games in the background... I've had at least a few times where the problem was TF2 updating behind the scenes (and TF2 certainly gets a lot of updates). Consider disabling auto-update on Steam if you have a lot of games that get patched frequently.

2) I've noticed that Alt-Tab-ing can really slow things down. If I Alt-Tab out of a Full-Screen game and immediately come back in without even opening any other programs, I notice slower performance until I exit to the CiV menu. With this problem, I'll sometimes see tiles not refreshing quickly, along with a greater probability of noticing other visual glitches, all above and beyond the delays between whatever.

3) Defragment the hard-drive that CiV is on. With all the DLCs, map packs, G&K, and whatever else floating around, chances are there's some fragmented files. You're supposed to defragment fairly often anyways (I don't do it nearly as often as I should, admittedly), so that could be a problem, too. After defragging, I'll usually get a little quicker performance for a few weeks - not more than maybe a few seconds per turn, but every little bit helps.

4) G&K has definitely made the delays and slow-downs worse. Espionage, religion, and a few mechanics changes now tax the CPU all the more, since there's more variables for the AI to consider when the turn-ends come.

5) G&K has introduced me to a new problem: sometimes when production finishes in a city or I pick a social policy, the game seems to freeze up for 10 seconds. I'll click the hammer icon to jump to the city that needs a new production choice, and it'll wait ~10 seconds before I actually jump to that city. While waiting, I can't shift the screen from wherever I was looking, and I can't move any of my units. This problem always occurs mid-turn, not at the turn-end like most problems do. This never happened to me before: in vanilla, I always had turn-end delays (like everyone else), and I have them a little worse now, but since G&K I sometimes get this ~10 second delay mid-turn, which is new to me. I'd say this hang-up occurs once every hour or two of game-time, so it's not been a tremendous problem, and the game always comes back without a CTD, but it's just an odd problem since mid-turn the CPU should have relatively little to do.

6) Lastly, mods will almost certainly add a few seconds to the turn-end times. InfoAddict usually appears to add a few seconds for me, but that's not enough to offset how incredibly useful the mod is. I'd imagine bigger mods are worse, but InfoAddict is the only one I bother with, so I can't say for sure.