1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Great game - awful turn times

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Greasy Dave, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Xink

Xink King

My experiences of overclocking have always been positive.

My last CPU the E8500 was bought in 2008 and ran at 4Ghz plus since new and has never missed a beat. A few weeks ago that CPU was placed in my HTPC at stock speed and continues to run fine.

As long as you have the knowledge and understanding of how to accomplish that then the longevity should not be compromised.

My new CPU the 3570k has been overclocked since new at 4.4Ghz. It runs at its hottest (75c) well below the TJ Max set by Intel (105c), the voltage has been offset to 0.06v which is again well below Intel's max voltage for the chip. I use the turbo function still and thus the chip scales from 1600mhz to 4400mhz as needed. The warranty is not compromised and the longevity will be fine - only excessive heat (although with excessive heat the chip would simply throttle down) and voltage extremes could compromise that.

The performance differences from doing the above is enough to justify the "no risk" approach that I take and thus reap the benefits.

I have noted significant increases in both Civ V and Shogun II by overclocking the CPU.

2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

You just listed a bunch of steps, caveats, qualifications and specifications that will fly over a PC noobs head. My post was not directed at the PC savvy, as I said. It was more of a general caution to kids who don't know any better that will say "geewhiz that's neeto, gonna try that" and then blow up their rigs. I would suggest that instead of simply listing some specs and saying you had good results - try instead creating a thread that goes in detail about how to actually overclock safely for the benefit of interested noobs.

3. Xink

Xink King

I understand your point and that is why I would refrain from going into that very detail. There are plenty of websites and forums which can help and advise those who are wishing to explore that if they wish.
    Even though I had my E8500 since 2008 overclocked at 4Ghz + I needed to refresh my understandings of what is required to overclock the latest Ivy Bridge CPU's, although the basics still apply.
    The rewards can they be but also so can the dangers in doing these things, like removing the IHS from the CPU to replace the TIM can damage the core and negate the warranty but also reduce the temps quite a lot.

4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Good deal;)

5. _hero_

_hero_ King

I get long turns on Large and Huge maps too. Sucks.

6. Harv72b

Harv72b Prince

One suggestion to pass time for those who are suffering from very long turn times: I discovered entirely by accident last night that you can enter your city screens and change worked tiles, production queues, etc. while it's processing other civs' turns. Note that I'm not running the game in full screen, and I'm not sure if that affects this. I'm also not sure how focus changing would affect making changes within your city screen, as this didn't come up in the turn where I did it (I actually screwed myself by accidentally finishing Oxford University one turn before I wanted to). Assuming you could complete the action before the game changed map focus, I believe you could also set move orders for units during this "dead time".

7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

This was a change made after G&K, and it is pretty cool. But there's not always something to do, especially if you don't micro.

You cannot issue move orders during dead time. I tried it many, many times.