Great general stacking.

Psycedilla

Chieftain
just played a mp game yesterday and was rushed by someone with 3 great generals. and i thought, didnt we discuss this couple months ago? is it working as intended? or is the change just forgotten? i know its harder to get in sp with still can manage to flip the early game on its head

On the bright side great generals only apply to two eras and never the ancient era. Defender of the faith on the other hand, can give the equivalent of 2 Great generals for all time including archers, warriors, spearmen etc.

On the bright side great generals only apply to two eras and never the ancient era. Defender of the faith on the other hand, can give the equivalent of 2 Great generals for all time including archers, warriors, spearmen etc.

I find the bigger part of GG is not the combat bonus, but the movement bonus.

I've sometimes had 2 GG stack for a set of units, and that works best when I can get my siege units with 4 moves. I mean, if you get logistics + 2 GG + a balloon, you can get bombards or artillery that start with 5 moves and a range of 3. That's really nice to go conquer with.

The admiral movement is VERY annoying.

I have an ironclad with 8 MP and a GA with 6 movement points. If the GA start within 2 turns of the ironclad it gets 9 MP but my GA still has 6

Just a picture for anyone that has not seen stacking of GG (or admirals)
upload_2017-5-28_21-28-16.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an explicit change from Civ V, so I'd guess it is working as intended. That doesn't mean though, that it was a good idea balance-wise (one of the recent Polycasts talked about a tournament being dominated by this strategy). I think that the ability to affect a wider area/multiple fronts, or to activate a retirement ability while still retaining a GG, should be incentive enough to earn multiple Great Generals.

I'm not sure whether that's intended. I mean factories also stacked at first & then were changed. Then again, if in multiplayer everyone builds commercial hubs or campus districts, it's their fault if an encampment player gets each and every great general.

*Takes notes of this strategy to use it in multiplayer* :D

Last edited:
I found that making a siege unit can move and attack in the same turn is a very strong effect of a GG, though not stated in the effect description

I found that making a siege unit can move and attack in the same turn is a very strong effect of a GG, though not stated in the effect description

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a bug and should not be intentional. You can get the same with a siege unit if it starts in your territory and you have the logistics policy. And it's not just a check if the unit has >= 2 moves left, too, since I've had a unit start with 3 moves, and still move multiple tiles and shoot.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a bug and should not be intentional. You can get the same with a siege unit if it starts in your territory and you have the logistics policy. And it's not just a check if the unit has >= 2 moves left, too, since I've had a unit start with 3 moves, and still move multiple tiles and shoot.
I think it's not a check of LEFT movement but TOTAL movement, quite strange though. If I remember it right, I had moved a bombard and it couldn't shoot a city, but if I moved a great general to put the bomber under his effect zone, it could shoot.

The admiral movement is VERY annoying.

I have an ironclad with 8 MP and a GA with 6 movement points. If the GA start within 2 turns of the ironclad it gets 9 MP but my GA still has 6

Just a picture for anyone that has not seen stacking of GG (or admirals)
View attachment 471814
In terms of movement, I played an Arabia game yesterday and had a privateer with 5 mp. I don't have great lighthouse and GA are far away, I just don't know why

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a bug and should not be intentional.
Quite the opposite, it was a change made in the spring patch, check the notes.

In terms of movement, I played an Arabia game yesterday and had a privateer with 5 mp. I don't have great lighthouse and GA are far away, I just don't know why
Mathematics gives +1

Quite the opposite, it was a change made in the spring patch, check the notes.

Huh, what do you know, it was intentional. Yeah, that makes them way stronger overall, and certainly makes the logistics policy way stronger.

You do not need a GG, just a decent road amd logistics helps
The Spring patch note said that 'Siege units with bonus movement (e.g. from Great Generals or Persian surprise war) can still shoot after moving as long as they still have 2 MP'
But I just found them can still shoot as long as they still have mp instead of 2MP or above.
Would you please just confirm it in one of your next Civ game?

The Spring patch note said that 'Siege units with bonus movement (e.g. from Great Generals or Persian surprise war) can still shoot after moving as long as they still have 2 MP'
But I just found them can still shoot as long as they still have mp instead of 2MP or above.
Would you please just confirm it in one of your next Civ game?

I think I've had it happen both ways. If I am within range and can get a shot, I tend to stop just in case, even if I can get into a better position with movement left.

I think I've had it happen both ways. If I am within range and can get a shot, I tend to stop just in case, even if I can get into a better position with movement left.
Maybe save and see if on a road you can fire with 0.5 mp next time, pretty sure you can.

Maybe save and see if on a road you can fire with 0.5 mp next time, pretty sure you can.

I'll try to find a save later. I have definitely been able to fire with 0.5 mp before. It may be because I wasn't on a road and got to 1 or something.

I know, I just mean I want to check whether I could not fire because of <2 movement remaining in that case or if I am mis-remembering. I might not have had line of sight, for instance. If someone else has encountered this, that's great, otherwise when I get home I will check. I have definitely also had the other case (being able to fire at around 0.5 mp) which you and myclan are describing. I think that's more the norm.

Top Bottom