1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

great general

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by nadeem, Sep 7, 2013.

1. nadeem

nadeem Chieftain

would it ever make sense to attach a great general to a siege unit?

2. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

No. Siege units are there mostly to die. Don't want to waste a GG on a suicide mission.

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Final answer Regis.

4. The Diocletian

The Diocletian Fire Fly

Out of pure curiosity, can one put a GG on a naval unit? A nuke?

5. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

To transport, yes. To create a navy (armada) nope. I think there is a modcomp that allows great admirals, but I forgot the thread :(

and no to nuke.

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

I thought I had read differently somewhere, so off to world builder I go. Since the start was in the middle of a continent I gave myself a settler, two great generals and a nuke in a nice coastal square with a galleon off shore.

Built city and tried GG number one on the nuke...no go. So I nuked a nearby lion. Then I moved the galleon into the harbor and sure enough, great general leads galleon as a warlord.

I think wherever I read it they were talking about the advantage of having a healer boat, but that seems pretty wasteful to me. :dunno: At any rate, it can be done.

7. synthboy

synthboy Prince

IIRC someone once suggested making your super-medic a siege engine. The thinking was it could used to bombard city defences at no risk to itself whereas using any other unit meant that you never used it for attacking as there was always the risk of it dying so was (in some sense) a waste of hammers. I used to do that but I've gone back to making an anti-horse unit my super-medic (ie spearman, pikeman, etc). Right or wrong?

8. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Interesting. I've never been able to do that. Vanilla BTS?

9. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

BAT. Which at least in theory should not make a difference.

10. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

well, all-righty then. chalk up another something I didn't know :)

11. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

I don't think the naval unit needs to be a transport. You might have to make sure your target naval unit is the only unit (bedsides the GG) in the city. I've never actually tried it.

12. TezaPsyborg

TezaPsyborg Warlord

I found this one out purely because I got Nelson as a GG and thought :hmm: I wonder if you can attach a GG to a naval unit???

13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

I just happened to use a galleon in my test but I'm sure it would work the same with any naval unit. As far as making it the only unit in the city I only did it out of habit because I always use a GG on a single unit. That may be an issue though if there is some sort of preference for land units coded in.

14. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

You can indeed put GGs on naval units - transport or otherwise. I've done that by accident a couple of times. Not generally worth doing, though.

15. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Hmnn, that may be why I've never seen anything about doing that on the S&T boards. I forget which mod (OGI maybe?) that has a great admiral, which is similar to the general, but it's been awhile.

16. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

I've heard talk about GG'ing a Galley to get a very early 5-move invasion boat. Never done it though.

17. Qactus

Qactus Romani ite domum

I tried GGs on nearly every unit type once in a conquest game on a large map that was already won due to an insuperable tech lead (don't remember the difficulty, prince maybe). There was still a lot of fighting against obsolete units, and to keep it entertaining I played around with my byzantine (IMP) army of GGs.

The most fun was a Blitz-Leadership-CombatX-Destroyer, but since it faced nothing bigger than frigates I can't tell how effective it would have been without the tech lead. Probably not that much.

The cannon GG was interesting. With the Tactics promotion (+30% withdrawal) on top of CRIII it always had 90+%-odds, but since it simply took too long to fully heal it (which is imperative), it couldn't keep up with the advancing troops and fired less than once per captured city. The March promo would have helped maybe, but had too many requirements.

So from my experience, siege GGs are useless, naval is very situational. If you are the first civ to have destroyers and start hunting down wooden fleets immediately you can get to Combat VI much faster than with any land unit.

18. Seraiel

Seraiel If you want anything from I please ask in German

There is one "Siege"-GG that can be usefull, and that's the "Guerrilla III + Tactics Cho-Ko-Nu" :D

No, really, Guerrilla 3 + Tactics is 80% withdrawl (submarines could even get 100% I think, but navy only plays a minor role in most of my games) , and as a cho-ko-nu, that guy does collateral damage. I know this is a very specific case, but should you ever play china, think of it ^^ .

19. Macksideshow

Macksideshow Prince

A bit OT but recently I have been playing constant war for profit in the Ancient era and I have elected to settle my first GG in my capital (which has a barracks) so units get 2 promos straight up.

Second GG gets attached to a chariot for a super medic.

20. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

Hmmm...I usually use 1st GG for supermedic and settle second in city that will become HE city, but YMMV. The capitol will be busy doing other things than pumping out units for much of the time, whereas your high-production HE-city will be doing almost nothing other than pumping out units. Get that 2nd promo on as many units as possible.