Great Generals (combat bonuses)

Slynky333

Warlord
So, from the manual:

They provide combat bonuses – offensive and defensive bonuses both — to any friendly units within one tile of their location. A Great General itself is a non-combat unit, so it may be stacked with a combat unit for protection. If an enemy unit ever enters the tile containing a Great General, the General is destroyed. A Great General gives a combat bonus of 25% to units in the General’s tile and all friendly units within 2 tiles of the General.

So, am I confused easily or IS it difficult to determine if combat units are assisted just one tile away or two tiles?

Not that anyone probably uses generals in a combat situation but I find myself sometimes "saving up great people" for a long golden age (which is also probably stupid but...).

It's two tiles according to the in-game combat odds.

Great generals really help with combat. They're certainly worth it. Two tiles can often cover the fighting front of your army, and 25% is a considerable advantage.

Yeah great generals are pretty key for combat. E.g. longswordsmen with a great general are ~22 strength. Halfway to riflemen. Even a slight edge could mean the difference between living to use a insta_heal.

They should make the civilopedia a wiki so we can fix it for them ><

Unless you're about to found a bunch of new cities, yeah there's not much reason to hold off on a golden age. Hammers early > hammers late.

The thing about not using GG's in combat is a joke right?

I definitely like to use GGs in combat.

Does the bonus stack if you have more than one GG near a battle?

I definitely like to use GGs in combat.

Does the bonus stack if you have more than one GG near a battle?

Highly doubt it. That'd be a big problem if it did.

They should make the civilopedia a wiki so we can fix it for them ><

Unless you're about to found a bunch of new cities, yeah there's not much reason to hold off on a golden age. Hammers early > hammers late.

The thing about not using GG's in combat is a joke right?

I don't do it often. It seems (early in the game with golden ages are longer) they are worth more for that than battle. But, what do I know...I can't come close to beating King level. ;)

True enough, Slowpoke. I'm gearing up for a big overseas war in a current game (playing as Darius) and have 2 GGs in my pocket. I'm thinking one will ship out with 'em, one will start the Chichen Itza-boosted GA that will enable total domination once I'm there :D

Personally, I like to use one GG with my army and the rest for GAs...unless I'm facing a two-front war where it looks like the bonus will matter.

I like to use 2 for a late game all out broad front battle that I am about to start when I get home. OK - I have artillery/riflemen/cavalry (Askia) and they have elephants (Siam) , but still, it could be close.

:O

Seriously?

I find that Great Generals are ALWAYS useful for combat, like regardless of age. XD

Of course, if you have too many, use them to start Golden Ages, but otherwise... +25% regardless, imo, is always welcome - that's like an extra promotion against any sort of unit whatsoever...

To the OP, if you're about to attack a unit, you can scroll over it with your mouse and it will give you the combat odds, including all the bonuses. You'll see the +25% for the GG, unless you're China, when you'll see a +45% :)

any chance for a mod which makes GG like in c4? I love to join them to gallic warriors

So, I hauled one GG overseas and started a GA with another. Askia fell quickly, but as I was on my way to claim his third and final city, Suleiman, who was heavily dominant in the new world, apparently got wise to my long-term goal (his capital), and DoW'd on me. I redeployed, held him off, and still managed to overthrow Askia without slowing down, but when the dust settled, I realized my GG was gone. I think he was in the open with no moves left when Suleiman flanked me. Bye bye 35% combat bonus (GA + GG as Darius) :(

Of course, Suleiman has lost maybe 7 cities so far as a result. Still, I have to say, he's handling the war pretty well, although he's fairly low on troops. Much better AI military use than pre-patch. He halted his advance on my invading troops when he realized he wasn't going to get any of my new cities and that I had redeployed to protect the cannons. He retreated, assumed more defensive tactics, and thrice now has outmaneuvered and defeated a rifleman with janis + crossbowman. He even picked a good time to get rolling, DoWing while my troops were arranged with their backs to him (cannons exposed) and weakened from the ongoing campaign against Askia. Still, it was a desperate move. I really liked how he said "the odds are against us, but I must make my move" in the DoW screen. :lol:

I don't do it often. It seems (early in the game with golden ages are longer) they are worth more for that than battle. But, what do I know...I can't come close to beating King level. ;)

GG's are huge in battle. I'd suggest keeping your first one for battle so that you're always fighting with the GG bonus.

To the OP, if you're about to attack a unit, you can scroll over it with your mouse and it will give you the combat odds, including all the bonuses. You'll see the +25% for the GG, unless you're China, when you'll see a +45% :)

Yeah, I could see the red and green bonuses. But it's news about China (which I'm currently play now). Thanks.

So, I hauled one GG overseas and started a GA with another. Askia fell quickly, but as I was on my way to claim his third and final city, Suleiman, who was heavily dominant in the new world, apparently got wise to my long-term goal (his capital), and DoW'd on me. I redeployed, held him off, and still managed to overthrow Askia without slowing down, but when the dust settled, I realized my GG was gone. I think he was in the open with no moves left when Suleiman flanked me. Bye bye 35% combat bonus (GA + GG as Darius) :(

Of course, Suleiman has lost maybe 7 cities so far as a result. Still, I have to say, he's handling the war pretty well, although he's fairly low on troops. Much better AI military use than pre-patch. He halted his advance on my invading troops when he realized he wasn't going to get any of my new cities and that I had redeployed to protect the cannons. He retreated, assumed more defensive tactics, and thrice now has outmaneuvered and defeated a rifleman with janis + crossbowman. He even picked a good time to get rolling, DoWing while my troops were arranged with their backs to him (cannons exposed) and weakened from the ongoing campaign against Askia. Still, it was a desperate move. I really liked how he said "the odds are against us, but I must make my move" in the DoW screen. :lol:

Seriously? 'Cause most of the time I receive the DoW, I usually get insulted pretty bad... :cry:

GG's are huge in battle. I'd suggest keeping your first one for battle so that you're always fighting with the GG bonus.

The rules say if an enemy unit enters their hex, they're taken. I'm assuming if an enemy enters a hex with your general AND a military unit and doesn't beat you, the general stays intact. ???

The rules say if an enemy unit enters their hex, they're taken. I'm assuming if an enemy enters a hex with your general AND a military unit and doesn't beat you, the general stays intact. ???

If you have a unit "guarding" the GG, that is, standing on top, the great general cannot be destroyed unless the unit guarding the GG is destroyed by a MELEE unit. If the unit guarding your GG is destroyed by a ranged unit, your GG will remain intact, unless a melee unit steps on him.

It's two tiles according to the in-game combat odds.

Great generals really help with combat. They're certainly worth it. Two tiles can often cover the fighting front of your army, and 25% is a considerable advantage.

As a note, it affects your guys who are two tiles away BEFORE combat. I was trying the Mongols last night and had a general(Khan) right behind a horseman. Sent the Horseman a full 5 tiles away to attack an archer, and the odds still had the General Bonus displayed.

Top Bottom