1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Herds modmod

Discussion in 'C2C mod mods' started by sunrisereader, Jul 2, 2015.

1. sunrisereader

sunrisereader Chieftain

This mod tries to add new national buildings to the game that reduce the micro management of sending tamed animals all around the nation to establish herds.

I got the game to start with the new xml added but there are still several bugs:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=473794564

The final plan is to add one national building for each animal that can be settled as a herd(cow,camel,bison,horse,lama,poultry,buffalo).

Is there interest in such a modmod?

2. sunrisereader

sunrisereader Chieftain

The code i made so far(unpack in Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\My_Mods\GreatHerds):

Attached Files:

3. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

I'm cautiously interested. In fact, I think that national buildings should replace much of the useless resource spam, such as ash and lye, so go for it!

4. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Chieftain

Unfortunately National Wonders and Pseudo National Wonders don't do what the resources do, and that is they go to all cities and not just those connected to the trade network connected to the city producing the resource. This is especially important in the early game before you can trade by rivers sea or even across oceans.

5. Arakhor

There is the Great Bonfire, which supposedly adds a Bonfire to every city you own. How would a hypothetical Great Herd be any different?

6. Dancing Hoskuld

Lets see, a holiday or a lump of rock? I don't know!:mischief:

7. Arakhor

I'm sorry, but I genuinely don't know what you're trying to say.

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

9. Faustmouse

Faustmouse Chieftain

what he says is: If you have a Cow inside your boarders and build a pasture and a road, than every city connected to the trade network will have this cow. Cities that are not connected won't. If you build the Great Herd, then EVERY city gets the building. That's just how NWs work. Even a city in the middle of the desert, with no road or river nearby would get the Cow Herd.

The Bonfire is somewhat fine, because it's nothing physical. It's an idea. (On the other hand you can say, if nobody is trading with a not connected city, how would they know about it?).

I guess you wanted to make the Great Herd a middle game wonder, somewhere around the middle ages? That should be fine I guess; most cities would have a trade network connection then. And if not, for example on another continent, your settlers had to get these in the first place so you can assume they brought the herd with them.

10. sunrisereader

sunrisereader Chieftain

The current plan is to add the new building at Horse Breeding, at this time in the tech tree are the ship building and road building as well, i see those as the start of empire wide trade networks.

11. Arakhor

Well, if we go down that route, you wouldn't need all the created resources at all (ash, charcoal, lime, sand, shoes, hats etc.), as you could build an NW that adds a property or building to each of your cities, allowing you to build all the other stuff for the complicated commercial network those pointless resources are supposed to support.

(I say pointless, because no one ever needs to trade the created resources, they just spam the diplomacy page and, what's more, the AI loves to try to give or take them as part of a deal, further disadvantaging them.)

12. sunrisereader

sunrisereader Chieftain

The great horse herd national wonder will provide the horse herd building to all cities of the player.
    Horse herds can't be build directly but need to be build by making a tamed horse and moving it to a city.

The chain of buildings that produce created resources and the related unlocking of buildings is something is a far complexer that i dont plan on changing in my first attempt at modding civ4.

13. sunrisereader

sunrisereader Chieftain

I think these buildings will probaly help the AI more then players because i dont see the AI building a stack of tamed animals at the same time as settlers to be able to found a new town and add in the first turn the varius herds to boost the new towns production, commerce and food.
    My settler stacks can have 20 units in them in the classic era expecialy ones going to 1 square islands to claim resources: 1-3 military defender, 2 crime fighters, 1 disease fighter/doctor,bards for education, 1 of each animal that can form a herd, additinal animals to build governer pets,governer menagary and a carnival.

14. Faustmouse

Faustmouse Chieftain

That sounds more like we need to give the "free in new cities" tag on herds you own. Instead of the 2nd type of Settler at Navigation (forgot the name :blush: ) you can assume that the settlers start taking their lifestock with them when they go out to find a new city.

Is it possible for this tag to check if you have this a herd somewhere in your empire and only place it in the new city when this is true?

15. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

That may be a good point. DH had some plans on how to adjust this whole mechanism as well. DH... what say you on his idea?

16. sunrisereader

sunrisereader Chieftain

I based the xml for the new building on the one giving granaries in all cities,
    but i got 2 questions:
    Where are the building types defined and what type do i use for this new building/how do i add a building type?

I was planning on adding a requirement to have a number of horse herds before the building can be build can anyone see what i did wrong?

The xml of the building is:
    Code:
    <Civ4BuildingInfos xmlns="x-schema:C2C_CIV4BuildingsSchema.xml">
    	<BuildingInfos>
    		<BuildingInfo>
    			<!-- Great Horse Herds -->
    			<Type>BUILDING_HORSE_FARM</Type>
    			<Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_HORSE_HERD_GREAT</Description>
    			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_HORSE_HERD_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
    			<Strategy>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_HORSE_HERD_STRATEGY</Strategy>
    			<Advisor>ADVISOR_GROWTH</Advisor>
    			<!-- Graphical and interface -->
    			<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_BUILDING_HORSE_HERD</ArtDefineTag>
    			<iMinAreaSize>-1</iMinAreaSize>
    			<fVisibilityPriority>1</fVisibilityPriority>
    			<!-- Prerequisites -->
    			<AndDependencyTypes>
    				<DependencyType>TRAIT_ORGANIZED</DependencyType>
    			</AndDependencyTypes>
    			<PrereqTech>TECH_HORSE_BREEDING</PrereqTech>
    			<PrereqBuildingClasses>
    				<PrereqBuildingClass>					<BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_HORSE_HERD</BuildingClassType>
    					<iNumBuildingNeeded>3</iNumBuildingNeeded>
    				</PrereqBuildingClass>
    			</PrereqBuildingClasses>
    			<BuildingClassNeededs>
    				<BuildingClassNeeded>					<BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_HORSE_HERD</BuildingClassType>
    					<bNeededInCity>1</bNeededInCity>
    				</BuildingClassNeeded>
    			</BuildingClassNeededs>
    			<!-- Construction cost -->
    			<iCost>350</iCost>
    			<ProductionTraits>
    				<ProductionTrait>
    					<ProductionTraitType>TRAIT_ORGANIZED</ProductionTraitType>
    					<iProductionTrait>100</iProductionTrait>
    				</ProductionTrait>
    			</ProductionTraits>

<FreeBuilding>BUILDINGCLASS_HORSE_HERD</FreeBuilding>
    			<!-- Special properties -->
    			<iAsset>10</iAsset>
    			<Flavors>
    				<Flavor>
    					<FlavorType>FLAVOR_GROWTH</FlavorType>
    					<iFlavor>10</iFlavor>
    				</Flavor>
    			</Flavors>
    			<iHurryCostModifier>100</iHurryCostModifier>
    			<bTeamShare>1</bTeamShare>
    			<bNukeImmune>1</bNukeImmune>
    			<iAdvancedStartCost>-1</iAdvancedStartCost>
    		</BuildingInfo>
    	</BuildingInfos>
    </Civ4BuildingInfos>

17. sunrisereader

sunrisereader Chieftain

Is it possible to restict the free building so it only appears in towns that have access to the resource the herd is related to?

18. Dancing Hoskuld

That code should be correct. You are saying the national wonder (assuming you have the entry correct in CIV4BuildingClassInfos.XML) needs a Hose Herd in the city and at least 3 Horse Herds in your empire. It will give a free Horse Herd in every city.

No it is not. I think they may be restricted by what is in the vicinity but this exactly what you don't want.

There are two settlers that we have disabled at the moment because they don't work at all for non-human players. They should give a set of free buildings in the city they settle and one at least gives an extra population. The free buildings can be achieved by setting the buildings as "free in new cities" as you say. The extra population would still be coded in python. (It all is at the moment.)

The problem is that you now don't need those units (Pioneer and Colonist, if I remember correctly). So what should those units do? The only thing I can think of is move further.

The other problem is that even though players have been getting those buildings from RoM days some people complain about getting them if I change the code.:crazyeye:

edit In my view this building should not come before Mud Roads as it assumes some sophistication in the trade network.

19. sunrisereader

sunrisereader Chieftain

What do you think of renaming horse breading to selective breeding so it covers the group once expanded to all herd animals, it currently only gives 2 horse units(one of them needing tech that are rows later in the techscreen and a single culture(parthain) so adding buildings to it wound not make it to busy.

That would place the buildings in the same row as road building, witch could be added as a secondary requirement to the buildings and 3 rows after monarchy what is one of the points where the numbers of cities civs have start to rise.

20. Dancing Hoskuld

There are some major changes I would like to make to that part of the tech tree but I have been told that I can't. It would be to radical a change.

The change you are currently proposing, the building at "Horse Breeding", in my opinion would be almost the same as removing horses from the game and just assuming every city had them.

In fact why not just make the horse resources obsolete then and the units after that point not require horses? Same for the other animals.