Great Leader from elite unit within Army?

I've found armies to be very effective in C3C, they are a lot of fun. In fact I'm so tired of rolling over the AI with my armies I'm wondering when the heck is the AI going to be given the ability to make armies. I really hope this comes in a future patch, I haven't seen a AI army yet in all of my games.

AIs can use armies, or at least could in vanilla 1.29f. They weren't very common, but I saw them plenty of times. I haven't seen one in C3C though.

Spearmen armies are not the worst you can do with if you've got no iron.
If I've got no iron, I tend to go spearmen/catapults anyway. And the sheer hp's of a spearman army will let you drop spearmen defenders, particularly after you've softened the defenses with artillery fire.

I've seen plenty of AI armies in C3C. I play up on Monarch level. An army of rifleman from the AI can be pretty tough to take down. I think it was China that had an army of riflemen fortified in a city on a hill protecting some luxuries. Took a LOT of arties over about 3 turns to knock that sucker down enough to take out with calvary (had other units defending the city too).

I won't say AI armies are common, but I see them in most games.

I've played monarch to demigod level with the 1.15 patch and I have yet to see an AI army in C3C. I did see them before in regular Civ, I thought this was a C3C bug or something, maybe the computer has just had bad luck in my games.

I have played 3 epic games in C3C 1.15: One in Monarch which I quit just before Modern Age due to being too far ahead, and 2 at Emporer, which I played to completion. I have yet to encounter an AI Army, while I will have as many Armies as I can get my hands on - I always build the Military Academy.
But, when I really think about it, in those games the AI was not at war very much - war was always on my terms and was over fairly quickly - I would take what I wanted and make peace. I'm going to try being a warmonger to see if I can get more Army vs Army wars going on.

What do you people think of combined arms in armies? Would you rather have say, three knight units in an army or do you prefer armies made up of different units?

I haven't seen any AI-army in C3C yet, either.

Originally posted by superunknown
What do you people think of combined arms in armies? Would you rather have say, three knight units in an army or do you prefer armies made up of different units?

I like to have armies of a specific type. Armies are my penetration forces, for that I fill them with the most powerful AND quickest attacking units available. Typically with Knights and Cavalry.
Maybe, with the additional mp they would make sense with infantry-style units as well, but that is something I haven't checked, yet.
And in principle it makes not so much sense to build an army of defending units, although you might loose some units less (by gross counting your losses).

I've played probably 30-40 C3C games (4-5 on 1.15 so far) and never seen an AI army. I've played 20 or so games that are constant war games with locked alliances. So there war from beginning to end with no peace, and still I have never seen an AI army, while I have seen dozens of human ones. <shrug> I was just commenting on this after our last game.

Verax

It is wise if you build an Army of offensive oriented units, e.g. Cavalry, but to insert one strong defender unit to minimize losses or even defeat if someone dares to attack your perhaps already weakened army.

Usually you can have both, and with the extra movement since Conquests you are not penalized too much for this.

But as soon as you have Tanks or Modern Armor: A pure army of Tanks/ MA is the best solution - IMO.

Originally posted by Longasc
It is wise if you build an Army of offensive oriented units, e.g. Cavalry, but to insert one strong defender unit to minimize losses or even defeat if someone dares to attack your perhaps already weakened army.
[...]

Please have a look to this posting of mine and then tell me something about chances :p

From what I understand, the army travels at the speed of it's slowest unit + 1. Thus, a rifleman or infantry unit will halve the speed of an otherwise-totally-cavalry army. Completely unacceptable in my book, I prefer homogenous armies and in any case have seen that the AI will divert to attack a single unit before it attacks an army.

I haven't seen any AI armies since conquests.I do some games in Debug mode and whenever the AI gets a leader, it seems as it they get disbanded.No improvment or small wonder rush and also no armies.Seems to be a bug.

If you prefer that armies should have the unloading ability, just check that ability for army in the editor, and then make it default. Same for uu, although it may take a long time as there are 31 uu's.

I suppose that with armies healing properly in barrackses now, a city with a defensive army could be almost impossible to take.

Originally posted by a4phantom
I suppose that with armies healing properly in barrackses now, a city with a defensive army could be almost impossible to take.

No, why shouldn't it be able to be taken? You just will need some attackers... The rest lays in the hands of the... ahhh.. RNG.
Remember, the army *might* heal during the inter-turn phase..
So, bombard it, and send in three or four good attacking units and the once proud army will be just history.

You say you can get leaders from artillery? How does that work? Do they become veterans and elites and then generate a MGL? Or can any artillery with lethal bombard generate a leader? Also if you have a game save it would be to see it in action.

With Lethal Bombardment the artillery acts like any other unit when it comes to promotions and MGL. Just blow up enough stuff and you'll get one. In my last game (WW1 scenario....can;t remember whose) I had 54 rail guns(had previously gone in and edited so that they were lethal to land) about 34 of them are Elite and about 6(Thor, Odin, Loki, Fenrir, Hel, Magni) have produced MGL. Yes it is a scenario but I still get MGL in every other game as long as the artillery has lethal bombardment of some kind. Just not as often cause I'm not at war all that often and only modern era units have lethal bombardment

I guess I am unlucky, I finally got an MGL in an epic game so I could build an army, and they are great, since I was so far behind in techs (as usual) I had armies of war elephants and cavalry going up against infantry, I am playing CC version 1

@Kubla84:

In that case, you should dl the 1.15 patch asap. Since you mentioned to be behind in techs, I assume that you are not taking profit from the gpt bug in version 1.00 anyway, so the 1.15 can only benefit you.

Originally posted by Esckey

With Lethal Bombardment the artillery acts like any other unit when it comes to promotions and MGL. Just blow up enough stuff and you'll get one. In my last game (WW1 scenario....can;t remember whose) I had 54 rail guns(had previously gone in and edited so that they were lethal to land) about 34 of them are Elite and about 6(Thor, Odin, Loki, Fenrir, Hel, Magni) have produced MGL. Yes it is a scenario but I still get MGL in every other game as long as the artillery has lethal bombardment of some kind. Just not as often cause I'm not at war all that often and only modern era units have lethal bombardment

Thanks for the info. I might play a game as Korea to try it out for myself.

Top Bottom