Great Leader Unit idea

magha77

Warlord
Hi everyone- wanted to see what your opinion would be of a Great Leader unit in the game. The GL would be available for every Civ and it recurs even when the unit gets killed in combat. The options would include the following:
1- it has its own strength and functions as a melee unit with differing strengths of different eras (like a swordsman with great general bonus to itself and surrounding units in ancient era, knight in medieval era, infantry in modern era, etc). It would add a great general bonus to surrounding units. The great general combat bonus would vary if the unit were to die in combat, for example at first it would add a +10 strength and the next leader would provide a +5...this could range from +5 to +20.
2- it could be a support unit like the great general with varying strengths to combat strength, healing and movement. Effectively acting as a Great General that reappears in the capitol when it gets killed and doesn't have another ability.

The thought behind this comes from a favorite ancient middle eastern scenario I played in the Civ 2 days that had units for each civ like Alexander, Darius, etc. The creator was a guy from Sweden who had an interest in middle eastern history (wish I could remember his screen name). I thought it would be interesting to have leaders have random strengths and that you have one at a time (much like how some kings were better than others).

The leaders could have different titles based on government and Civ (Shah for Persian monarchy, Khan for whenever the Mongols are reintroduced to the series). Perhaps even names of great leaders of each Civ. The unit could have Civ specific appearance as well.

Anyways, would be interested in everyone's thoughts about this.

Top Bottom