Great Library or Hanging Gardens

I've mentioned this a few times now, but opening tradition gives you +3 culture (on top of the growth bonus) which means that your first few policies will actually come quicker anyway. There is literally no reason to not open tradition.
I find it very difficult to come up with any arguments to the contrary. Certainly the Pyramids shouldn't lure anyone away, nor should the Statue of Zeus.

I play Emperor and Immortal primarily (with an occasional game on Deity) and I have to say that Great Library is basically written off at those levels. Even on Emperor it tends to get built far before I'm realistically considering hard-building wonders; the only time I've ever gotten GL on Emperor or above is when I played Emperor/Duel and the AI hard-built two other wonders first (Statue of Zeus and Stonehenge, respectively, IIRC, which was odd) and I got a GE somehow (either as Old France using the UA to close Liberty, or Mayan UA, can't remember at the moment) to rush it.
Ever try combining Aristocracy with Monuments to the Gods?

I always liked the idea of each civ starting with a certain technology. It shakes up the beeline mentality.

I had a weird game last night when GL was still up until T107 because everyone in the world was at war. In my continent i was very busy with Russia and Ethiopia while on the other landmass Dido wiped out Venice and Songhai. Her economy and happiness were in shamble after the invasion so she was not utilizing King Salomon's Mine from Askia's second city.
It was actually the first time GL was not grabbed before T45 ever since i played on G&K. Despite rare circumstances like this I usually let the AI build it while I build a nice army to take them over

Hanging Garden is s more reasonable choice because you have chance grabbing it if it is prioritized. GL...... only if you get a free Pop from ruins early on and have hills and jungles around

Anyone like going for Colossus? I find that if I start on coastal with river/lake access, I might just go colossus instead. It's an extra 8 food that goes up with time and can be sent anywhere. 5gpt on top of that isn't too shabby either. The only downside is that you might get a Great Merchant to dilute your GP pool.

Consider it this way:

HG is +6 food.
Colossus is +5 gold and +10 food in classical era, eventually becoming something like +20 food.

Due to the existence of internal food routes, HG is now only worth it if your capital is landlocked, bonus if it doesn't have a lake/river (only way to get garden). Colossus is MUCH better, and much easier to get.

It's one of the most nerfed wonders in BNW. I would prefer Temple of Artemis to it for pure growth any day, as by mid-game w/ 2 food routes to the city, ToA will give you more growth than HG.

GL is still amazing as usual, but still almost impossible to get on Deity (like 33% if you have a balanced food/production start and get lucky w/ ruins).

On my emperor games, I usually get the GL more often than not if I try for it, and that's often after moving the settler for a turn or two. Even though now the tech warp to philosophy and the Natl. College is more complicated and doesn't make it as important... It might be better now to use it on Iron Working. But its a very nice wonder to have, and should guarantee you the tech lead for some time, OR get you back near the lead.

What someone mentioned earlier, if the AIs are in close proximity and warlike, you can see the entire field put off early wonders for alarmingly long. It's a bad feeling seeing turn 75 go by and realize you could have built the 2 wonders you didn't chase out of prudence.

I've pretty much ignored GL in 99.9% of my games. If it is lower level, pretty much gives you an automatic tech lead for the rest of the game and may as well quit playing. If it is higher, AI will likely get it before you anyway, so better to ignore. I play on large with 13/26 Civs/CS, which means the chances of GL not getting rushed by at least one Civ is even lower than standard.

So, HG I suppose.

Consider it this way:

HG is +6 food.
Colossus is +5 gold and +10 food in classical era, eventually becoming something like +20 food.
This is interesting to note. I didn't think Colossus was that good. It's just Iron Working isn't on the same path as Education so... I usually avoid it. Next time I start with Portugal or something I might go for this path.

What do you mean by +20 food?...

This is interesting to note. I didn't think Colossus was that good. It's just Iron Working isn't on the same path as Education so... I usually avoid it. Next time I start with Portugal or something I might go for this path.

What do you mean by +20 food?...

Food boats start at 6 in ancient age, 7 in classic, and 8 in medival. Basically, you get 1 more food for every new age. The final count at information age is 13 food/hammer per route.

Yet another BNW mechanic I overlooked. Lol.

Gonna try for Colossus now to see how effective it is compared to HG. I imagine you do need a ocean/river tile to make this the most optimal location.

HG against Colossus strikes me as a slightly silly comparison to make. To get the food bonus you have to have all of the following things, while HG just feeds you right away:
- A coastal capital
- A coastal second city that has a Granary
- You need to build or buy a cargo ship

And the trade route can get plundered on top of it.

HG against Colossus strikes me as a slightly silly comparison to make. To get the food bonus you have to have all of the following things, while HG just feeds you right away:
- A coastal capital
- A coastal second city that has a Granary
- You need to build or buy a cargo ship

And the trade route can get plundered on top of it.

You get a free Cargo Ship when you complete the Colossus.

Top Bottom