1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Merchant, how far is far?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by StrategeryBush, Oct 9, 2008.

1. StrategeryBush

StrategeryBush Chieftain

I just got a Great Merchant for hitting Economics first. I figure to send him on a trade mission. I am playing on a Pangaea map, and am situated at the east end of the continent. Will I get more Gold from sending him to the far west end of the continent, or by sending him roughly 1/2 way around the world? The west end of the continent is actually closer by square count but that path crosses the "prime meridian" of all qater tiles that all maps have.

2. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Chieftain

Halfway around the world from your capital, but that doesn't include trade multipliers.

Generally you want to send him to the city with the most valuable trade route.

3. Hackapell

Hackapell Rhetorician

I generally find that if you send a GM to the city where the Temple of Artemis is located, you'll get the best returns.

4. Ormur

Ormur Chieftain

I've always wondered which is more important city size or distance, or how the equation is.

Dave, since you mention trade multipliers do they also apply to the merchant. Would I get more sending him to a overseas city and do other multipliers like custom houses and the ToA also affect it. I just though it was distance and city size.

5. DanF5771

DanF5771 Chieftain

The profit of a trade mission is calculated as:
    [pre]Profit = 500 + 200*CapitalTradeProfit[/pre]CapitalTradeProfit is the income this city would get for a trade route to your capital. All modifiers are factored in (Harbor, ToA, CitySize, ConnectionToCapital, OverSeas, Foreign, PeaceTime). Thus the ToA-city is often optimal, but not if it is an inland city close to your capital on the same landmass. Since the Base Profit of a trade route is Min(SizeOfOtherCity, PlotDistance)/10 you should always attempt to have a big capital (wait for growth before starting missions).

6. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

It seems like coastal cities (with harbours maybe too?) give you a bit more gold too.

7. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

You can also check the top 5 cities. Usually the best city for a trade route is one of those cities. Usually.

8. stee

stee 将軍職

So it sounds like you should use a GM on other target players coastal cities. Is that what I am getting from this?

9. StrategeryBush

StrategeryBush Chieftain

It happens that the GM from the original post wound up in Berlin, which was both the closest to 1/2 way around the world, had the Temple of Artemis, and was on a coast, I got 1500 from it.

10. oyzar

oyzar Have quit civ/forums

a 5 traderoute sounds rather low... there weren't any oversea locations?

11. Orzio

Orzio Chieftain

Probably not to many of them on a pangea map

12. Ometjabbe

Ometjabbe Chieftain

Is there a way to see how much you will earn from a trade mission before actually sending the merchant?

13. Mack_Jagger

Mack_Jagger Chieftain

1500? You get plenty more from just running 0 % research for one turn if you save that merchant for Sid's Sushi in your Wall Street city. But if you need the cash pronto, that's of course isn't an option.