Great People special building?

Fractal

Chieftain
I have a Great Propeht and a Great Merchant and i would like to try and build their special building ability but i just don't know how...
The option for building a "holy site" or a "customs house" doesn´t appear anywhere...
Please help, thank you

Move him onto a map hex and the option will show up. You must build it on your map, not in a city.

The GP can't build holy sites if he has been used for religion conversion.

No idea why your failing with the merchant though, any in your city zone tile can take a customs house.

I recently downloaded the patch, and started a game with the Dutch. I too was interested in finding out more about the changes in GP from vanilla. I started off and played the first half of the game with two (2) cities. Around my Gold city was four (4) citrus tiles. I popped a Great Merchant and set off to check out the option of building the customs house on the citrus. Not only did I have a monopoly with that particular resource, but after popping the customs house I was doing +7 gold on my riverside citrus plantation. Wow!!! After a few more Great Merchants popped, I placed them on the other plantations and was producing and extra 9 base gold from my tiles. I really enjoy the fact that building the tile improvements are now such a viable option to incorporate.

You're better off putting the Customs house on a tile without a resource. If you build a customs house, you will destroy the resource tile improvement (i.e. plantation) which provides the bonus specific to the resource. When you complete the Freedom policy tree, your Great Person tile improvements (i.e. Customs House) will also double their special output.

Interesting... I didn't receive any loss in food, or production, but received the +3 coin on top of the bonus that already existed. I thought as you did that I would loose something, but it seemed to make the plantation even more powerful by placing the customs house on top. I would have to recheck the game to see the other options and see if the income is greater.

You're better off putting the Customs house on a tile without a resource. If you build a customs house, you will destroy the resource tile improvement (i.e. plantation) which provides the bonus specific to the resource. When you complete the Freedom policy tree, your Great Person tile improvements (i.e. Customs House) will also double their special output.

I would agree for the first citrus if you need the happiness, but you could probably make more gold with the customs house on the extra citrus than you could sell them for, although I guess it would depend on your relations with the civ(s) you sell/trade them to. Or if you need something other than gold then trading would be better.

Yeah, I tend to put GP improvements on Grassland with no resources so it will also support the citizen who works it. Also will load up desert/snow (and sometimes tundra) with them if there's otherwise ample food near the city to support a foodless tile.

With the Dutch however, I can sell all my resources and still maintain 50% of the happiness. Made my early game exploitation of the AI's economies wonderful!

Yeah, I tend to put GP improvements on Grassland with no resources so it will also support the citizen who works it. Also will load up desert/snow (and sometimes tundra) with them if there's otherwise ample food near the city to support a foodless tile.

Usually since it is best to build GP improvements early, I like the build them on the best food tile, so that using that tile won't hurt my food as much. Would be better to build on a bad food tile once all the good food tiles can be worked, but by then it can be better to just use the GP ability.

I would agree for the first citrus if you need the happiness, but you could probably make more gold with the customs house on the extra citrus than you could sell them for, although I guess it would depend on your relations with the civ(s) you sell/trade them to. Or if you need something other than gold then trading would be better.

Every time I put a GP tile improvement on a strategy or luxury resource, I get that resource.

What I don't get is whatever bonus the normal improvement provides (i.e. for a mine, etc).

You can't connect luxury/bonus resources with GP, but you can with Strategy Resources for one reason and one reason only - They appear as time goes on, so you could by accident place a Academy on oil, and thus, had it not been for that rule, you'd have to sacrifice that Academy for Well.

Top Bottom