1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Prophet formed for religion that has no cities?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by floppymoose, Jul 13, 2012.

1. floppymoose

floppymoose Warlord

In a recent game I had rolled over Hiawatha, leaving him with only 2 cities. I had his former capitol/holyCity, which was already converted to my religion. Every city on our continent was either my religion majority, or no majority.

Then a GP for his old religion pops up and converts his former capitol back. What I don't understand is where this GP came from? Can a player make a GP for their founded religion even if there are no cities with that religion as a majority?

2. Yzman

Yzman Deity

GP's get popped from accumulating faith, nothing to do with having a holy city. If you wish to buy them, it need only be from a city that has the majority of that religion, not the holy city.

3. floppymoose

floppymoose Warlord

Well, that's what I thought. It also doesn't explain the scenario I mention in the OP.

4. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Emperor

Great Prophets don't reflect city belief like Missionaries etc, they correspond to Civ/founder alignment. (Unless I am wrong)

5. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Naturally popping Great Prophets correspond with religion, faith purchased Great Prophets correspond with city.

6. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

If you actually buy the Prophet from a city, then it should correspond to the majority religion of that city. But if it pops automatically due to accumulated Faith, or from some other source (like a Wonder or Social Policy), then it has nothing to do with a particular city and will be affiliated with the Pantheon/Religion that is associated with your civilization.

7. floppymoose

floppymoose Warlord

Thanks folks. I didn't realize there was a difference between choosing to make a GP in the city purchase menu, vs having one auto-purchased.

I consider the entire auto-purchase approach busted. The issue above is one part I don't like. Another is that auto-purchased GP's don't happen if you have civilians in your cities.

8. smellymummy

smellymummy King

what happens when you didn't found a religion, there are no religions left to found, and you chose a great prophet from the wonder/social policy/UA

a great prophet with no religion?

9. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Yes. Much like the first Great Prophet you get before you have founded a religion. I would presume that you can only use it to build a Holy Site.