Great Prophet formed for religion that has no cities?

floppymoose

Warlord
In a recent game I had rolled over Hiawatha, leaving him with only 2 cities. I had his former capitol/holyCity, which was already converted to my religion. Every city on our continent was either my religion majority, or no majority.

Then a GP for his old religion pops up and converts his former capitol back. What I don't understand is where this GP came from? Can a player make a GP for their founded religion even if there are no cities with that religion as a majority?

Yzman

Deity
GP's get popped from accumulating faith, nothing to do with having a holy city. If you wish to buy them, it need only be from a city that has the majority of that religion, not the holy city.

GhostSalsa

Emperor
Great Prophets don't reflect city belief like Missionaries etc, they correspond to Civ/founder alignment. (Unless I am wrong)

Louis XXIV

Le Roi Soleil
Naturally popping Great Prophets correspond with religion, faith purchased Great Prophets correspond with city.

AriochIV

Colonial Ninja
If you actually buy the Prophet from a city, then it should correspond to the majority religion of that city. But if it pops automatically due to accumulated Faith, or from some other source (like a Wonder or Social Policy), then it has nothing to do with a particular city and will be affiliated with the Pantheon/Religion that is associated with your civilization.

floppymoose

Warlord
Thanks folks. I didn't realize there was a difference between choosing to make a GP in the city purchase menu, vs having one auto-purchased.

I consider the entire auto-purchase approach busted. The issue above is one part I don't like. Another is that auto-purchased GP's don't happen if you have civilians in your cities.

If you actually buy the Prophet from a city, then it should correspond to the majority religion of that city. But if it pops automatically due to accumulated Faith, or from some other source (like a Wonder or Social Policy), then it has nothing to do with a particular city and will be affiliated with the Pantheon/Religion that is associated with your civilization.

what happens when you didn't found a religion, there are no religions left to found, and you chose a great prophet from the wonder/social policy/UA

a great prophet with no religion?

AriochIV

Colonial Ninja
what happens when you didn't found a religion, there are no religions left to found, and you chose a great prophet from the wonder/social policy/UA

a great prophet with no religion?
Yes. Much like the first Great Prophet you get before you have founded a religion. I would presume that you can only use it to build a Holy Site.

Top Bottom