Great Quotes III: Source and Context are Key

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of the country.

We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of. This is a logical result of the way in which our democratic society is organized."

Edward Bernays, Propaganda, 1928

Interviewer: Tonight on Face the Press, we're going to examine two different views of contemporary things. On my left is the Minister for Home Affairs... And on my right putting the case against the government is a small patch of brown liquid, which could be creosote or some extract used in industrial varnishing. Good evening. Minister, may I put the question to you. In your plan 'A Better Britain for Us,' you claimed that you would build 88 thousand million billion houses a year in the greater London area alone. In fact, you've only built three in the past 15 years. Are you a bit disappointed with this result?

Minister for Home Affairs: No, no. I would like to answer this question, if I may, in two ways. Firstly, in my normal voice, and then in a kind of silly high-pitched whine.

Monty Python's Flying Circus, "Face the Press"

You missed out Great Quotes I in the OP.

Is this important? There's another serial thread which only refers to the previous one (I forget which it is for the moment). If you really feel the need to access Great Quotes I, it's accessible directly from Great Quotes II which in turn is accessible from the OP.

If you insist, though, I can easily put in another link to Great Quotes I.

How often do people access these previous incarnations, btw? I never have myself. But, of course, I may not be typical.

"Die schärfsten Kritiker der Elche waren früher selber welche."

(The sharpest critics of moose used to be moose themselves.)

-F.W. Bernstein

"Respect mah authoritah!"

"Only a soul can hold a paradox," she explains. "Since the true meaning of paradox escapes you, you can only grasp non-paradoxical approximations. In this case, 'strange.' Only a soul can comprehend contradictory truths." "If I'm not a soul, then what am I?" How? How has everything become such a farce? "An abacus crafted of skin, flesh, and bone. A monstrous, miraculous tool. A product of the Tekne." "That too is something special, is it not?"

White-Luck Warrior.

"Welcome to the emergency call center.
For personal assistance, press 1.
If you're on fire, press 2.
If someone is trying to stab you, press 3.
If someone is already stabbing you, press 4.
If you've been stabbed and you're currently bleeding to death, press 5.
If you are stabbing someone, press 6.
For everything else, press 7.
Thank you and have a nice day."
-automated message, emegency call center, The Darkness

That and it's highly unlikely to be a genuine quote anyway. :)

"Death to Tyrants"
-motto, European Federation Enforcer Corps Battlegroup 16 (Mechanized), EndWar

"Death to Tyrants"
-motto, European Federation Enforcer Corps Battlegroup 16 (Mechanized), EndWar

Is that any good? I've had it sitting around for some time but never got around to playing it. The EF is pretty cool but I don't understand why they'd name a puny drone after Charlemagne, or focus on less-lethal weapons for the battlefield.

Anyway.

"We saw the [Southern] Cross tonight, and it is not large. Not large, and not strikingly bright. But it was low down toward the horizon, and it may improve when it gets up higher in the sky. It is ingeniously named, for it looks just as a cross would look if it looked like something else."

-Mark Twain

I didn't play it, watched a playthrough a while back. Voice commands were neat, it's decent overall. Can't think of anything wrong with it.

"Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other elements of this world, about the motion and orbit of the stars and even their size and relative positions, about the predictable eclipses of the sun and moon, the cycles of the years and the seasons, about the kinds of animals, shrubs, stones, and so forth, and this knowledge he holds to as being certain from reason and experience. Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking nonsense on these topics; and we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn. The shame is not so much that an ignorant individual is derided, but that people outside the household of faith think our sacred writers held such opinions, and, to the great loss of those for whose salvation we toil, the writers of our Scripture are criticized and rejected as unlearned men. If they find a Christian mistaken in a field which they themselves know well and hear him maintaining his foolish opinions about our books, how are they going to believe those books in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think their pages are full of falsehoods on facts which they themselves have learned from experience and the light of reason?
Reckless and incompetent expounders of Holy Scripture bring untold trouble and sorrow on their wiser brethren when they are caught in one of their mischievous false opinions and are taken to task by those who are not bound by the authority of our sacred books. For then, to defend their utterly foolish and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon Holy Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many passages which they think support their position, although "they understand neither what they say nor the things about which they make assertions".

St. Augustine

"So I say: no [workers'] union!"
"Yes! Confederacy forever!"
-Cheryl Tunt and Dr. Algernop Krieger, Archer S01E08 "The Rock"

Reckless and incompetent expounders of Holy Scripture bring untold trouble and sorrow on their wiser brethren when they are caught in one of their mischievous false opinions and are taken to task by those who are not bound by the authority of our sacred books. For then, to defend their utterly foolish and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon Holy Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many passages which they think support their position, although "they understand neither what they say nor the things about which they make assertions.

Zing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom