1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Great to know that my last game of R&F is going to be memorable!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aussie_Lurker, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

It's true, you know. Playing on King, & its been a very intense experience-but a fun one, nonetheless. I confess I've already save-scummed due to losing the Pyramids, my repeat run proved a little bit more successful (just from building Ancient Walls before war was declared.....& by using my envoys to remove Chandragupta's Suzerain Status with Preslav).

The game got no less interesting after that. I ran into Saladin, who hailed from another Continent....but who was already making great inroads on my Continent via the spread of Islam. In spite of that, I tried to forge a religious alliance with him, & all seemed well at first.

Sadly, I was mistaken. He was aggressively pushing my religion out of India, & had started to convert some of my cities.....in spite of several promises to the contrary. All I could do was sit back & watch, constrained by our alliance. Then he made his biggest mistake, converting the Confucian Holy City of Xi'an to Islam. This triggered an Emergency, & I was able to set to work-first by triggering an Inquisition then, as soon as the Alliance lapsed & my denunciations were done, I declared a Holy War against Saladin. I sent my Inquisitors to purge Islam from *all* of my cities, & sent my military units out to take care of his Apostles. Now I just have to hold out another 30 turns, & then I win the emergency.

Meanwhile, India seems to be rebuilding its military, & I fear they may launch another war against me.

Like I said, it certainly hasn't been dull, & I definitely feel like the AI has been holding its own throughout this game.

2. Haig

Haig Warlord

A good read. Makes me wish I was at home playing Civ instrad of being at work, working.

Are you playing the Firaxis Earth map? Its not big but makes for intense games. Love it.

3. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

Nope, just a random map. China (Me), India & Australia on one Continent (with several City-States), Arabia on the North American Continent, & America, Aztecs, Spain, Russia (now deceased) & Egypt sharing another Continent. The Aztecs took out Russia before the end of the Medieval Era, yet funnily no City States have been eliminated.

Haig likes this.
  4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I played Gorgo Deity as my last game last night, I doubt I will play again before GS, busy days ahead for me.
    Just my luck I started on a very large island with 2 CS as Gorgo and just to rub it in, one of those CS was Kabul.
    So lots of coastal cities but a hub of cities for Coliseum and a big push for science as I had 3 early +4 adjacencies.
    When I finally got ships and went out I found a world with England having 12 cities and Mongols having 15, most other civs were teetering on a few. Made allies with all others and started routes...wasted a few English cities and her navy too easy as usual due to an emergency but gave it all back. I military allied Egypt who had been badly beaten up and when the Mongols next attacked I was forced in with +5 against him for the alliance, and also I had a spy in his midst. I was too far away to have been trade routed.
    Current situation is I have level 4 frigates due to Kabul and he has cavalry armies, everything 3 tiles from the sea has been pounded and I am pushing for tanks/battleships. His science is +135 and I am +225 so looking good, he is offering peace but I keep luring and pounding, he must be getting quite weary by now. Decided to finish as it was 2 am and probably will not have time to pick up again.
    Thought it worth mentioning as it was as much a surprise to see England so large as it was not a surprise to see Genghis so big.
    ... and Gorgo on a deserted island with Kabul was just cruel but different.

WillowBrook, Haig and Aussie_Lurker like this.
  5. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

Reminds me of one of my Vanilla Games, as Poland, where I was alone on a landmass-without *any* City States. That was very challenging.

6. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

Forgot.to mention another thing. The AI has been making excellent use of Spies in this game. India neutralized one of my governors (though the spy did get killed in the process) & Arabia conducted a siphon funds mission on me (again, at the cost of their agent). Its cool seeing them all being so underhanded. Seems the only nation I can trust right now is Australia.

CivLuvah, Haig and Quintus of Mund like this.
  7. Victoria

... and do you? Alternative leader - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen?

8. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

LOL. Don't you worry about that ;). Curtin has given me no reason to distrust him so far.

Victoria likes this.
  9. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

Well, the game continues to be very interesting & memorable. I sunk into a Dark Age during the current Industrial Era, though I hope to turn things around with a mass Industrialization of my nation. Meanwhile, I managed to win the Emergency against Saladin, & got rewarded a "Piece of the True Cross" & 4,500 Gold for my efforts. This came in very, very handy......as Chandragupta declared a War of Territorial Expansion against me. I used some of the cash to upgrade my military & purchase new units. Ironically, his war to expand territory actually resulted in him LOSING a city I'd had my eye on since the Classical Era. Fun times :).

WillowBrook, Haig and Victoria like this.
  10. Bitterman

Bitterman Chieftain

Aussie do you use any mods? I usually have experiences like you have described, but I play on emperor and have modded AI.

I used to play on king ages ago but I found it too easy. It suprises me what you are describing.

11. Victoria

in what way?

12. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

Nope, totally unmodded experience.

13. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

Interestingly, falling into a.Dark Age has reminded me of why I feel we need Dark Age Specific dedications-similar to the policy cards, only unavoidable (either that or be required to take on a Dark Age policy). Loyalty pressure and a Washed out colour palette just isn't enough. By the same token, Golden Age Policy Cards would be great to see too!

14. Bitterman

Bitterman Chieftain

For instance, AI would never rebuild their military. I can recall one game or two in which I would raid several tiles of enemy AI's and they never repaired them.

15. Victoria

Aaah, they often get back their troops now, they are better at making cannon fodder, just not that good at repairing

ChocolateShake likes this.
  16. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

That wasn't my experience. Chandragupta kept retreating his Pike & Shots, & replacing them with fresh troops (including War Elephants). I noticed him healing them within his borders whilst I was distracted with my border wars. The only weakness I have seen with the AI so far-at least in the case of India-is they don't build sufficient siege weapons.

ChocolateShake and Victoria like this.
  17. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Yeah, to me I would rather see you forced to choose one of the dark age policies to use for the entire dark age, although perhaps going an entire era without being able to build settlers might be a bit tough to fathom...

18. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

That's why it makes more sense to be a Dedication that the player gets to choose-or a card players get to choose.

19. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Chieftain

Currently rampaging across a huge map on Emperor, as Alexander. I started off poorly compared to pretty much everyone else but built up an army to secure my corner of the earth. Then Pericles decided to warn me about city states, so he had to go. Arabia was also tired of his nonsense and Greece was wiped out by our joint armies. Then an even worse warmonger, John Curtain, decided to get preachy about the loss of life (after taking Jerusalem), so he had to go. Tamar thought it was a good idea to call me a cur at that point, so Georgia burned. Both Saladin and Mvemba thought I deserved to be denounced as a (rightfully so) warmonger, so they went next. Scotland got roped into helping Mvemba take back a city in an emergency and sent 25 or so units to die in my lands. Bruce's pitiful attempts to sue for peace have cost him half his empire. Poor Hojo just couldn't turn a blind eye and had to tell me I was foolish. I'm sure he'll feel foolish when I conquer Japan and force their women to collect wood.

Oddly enough, in my game, Brazil was the chief warmonger for the longest time. I always love how warmongers denounce the players for warmongering.

Aussie_Lurker likes this.
  20. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

I really hope one day FXS secretly mod Australia to be a bigger Warmonger than Civ 1 Ghandi. I love it when Curtin gets all Warmongery - there's something just deeply hilarious about it. All that hat throwing, I guess.

Aussie_Lurker likes this.