1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Great to know that my last game of R&F is going to be memorable!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aussie_Lurker, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

Well, this current game continues to throw up curve-balls, for good & ill. Just managed to slip into a normal age within the 10 turn countdown to the modern era, but then some well timed industrial era building construction & the conquest of Baghdad managed to secure me a Heroic Age instead......my very first ever!!! Baghdad proved much harder to take than I'd anticipated, as Saladin was clever enough to ship in a Mameluke, a Field Cannon & a Frigate. All of which kept my forces at bay for awhile. Bringing in reinforcements & a Frigate of my own (coupled with a Great Admiral) finally gave me the victory.....driving the Heathens from my lands altogether! I also finally managed to talk Roosevelt into swapping one of his Portraits for one of my religious works (thus helping the both of us towards theme bonuses). I was also greatly pleased to see a few preemptive offers of Alliances by the AI.

I am also more than a little disturbed by how poorly I am doing on the tech tree, compared to several of my AI opponents.....& have been gazumped on several Wonder Builds (the Ruhr Valley was particularly galling for me!) That said, though, I really am enjoying this game immensely, and am finding the AI more than a little challenging-in a good way. So far, nobody has acted in a way that wasn't entirely in character!

2. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

I can squeeze in another 1, 2 or 3 games before the 15th.

I've been playing a series where I swapped Australia with another civ so I could play them far from other nuisances.
    (a) Sometimes it can take a very long time to meet other civs...
    (b) This game as Pericles was fairly typical in that there was a very nice patchwork of remaining civs by about turn 600.
    (c) My last 25+ games have all ended up with similar clusters of civs. I love that I was able to balance the game so that, even as late as turn 800, I
    never knew if it was going to be an easy win, or that 1-3 civs were too far ahead and too widely scattered to be picked off one at a time.

imsoronery_t184.jpg
    imsoronery_t692.jpg

Aussie_Lurker likes this.
  3. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

Sometimes it pays to spend a couple of moves wandering around the Australian bush before settling.
    I hope there are starts like this in GS after the Terra maps are updated!

illtakeit.jpg

Aussie_Lurker and MrRadar like this.
  4. MrRadar

MrRadar Chieftain

@Ferocitus, I look at your minimap, at the turn limit and they make my head swim. I admire your stamina and determination. Btw, have you won other victories besides science on such maps? I think I'd rather jump out of the window than try to win domination here... or religion, for that matter :nope:

5. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

I'm a city builder and am usually not that interested in early war. Figured I'd have a go at some early warmongering with one of my least favorite one trick ponies: Alexander.
    So I get the perfect starting location for a city builder gameplay... Lots of room to expand, other civs far away behind a row of city states with nice enough bonusses to not want to conquer those either.
    So I did my normal thing with midgame conquering of Spain who kept declaring war on my ally Ghandi. Will end up another science victory prolly.
    Just annoyed with the alliance situation. Got India, Indonesia and the Zulus full in the green except for differing government. They are all fascists while I'm a democrat. And they just refuse to renew alliances now so can't use arsenal of democracy. Seems tier 3 government is hardcoded to block alliances or something.

6. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Chieftain

My conquest as Alexander came to a glorious end with a score close to 5,500. I wanted to systematically take every city in the game but by the time 1800 rolled around, I grew tired of the game and didn't feel like slugging it out with the Mapuche or Russia any longer, so I fired off nukes, and captured their capitals.

Tried firing up another game as Brazil. Didn't start anywhere near rain forest, tried to restart, and the game crashed. Took it as a sign to hold off until the new expansion to play again. I cannot wait.

Aussie_Lurker likes this.
  7. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

My extended family play the same maps, and we've only ever won Science and culture victories.
    I've heard people say that they could win a DV or RV, but I don't believe them. Maybe at King or lower. :)

MrRadar likes this.
  8. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I still haven't finished my last game (Russia, King, Continents). It's been an interesting one:
    • I built the Oracle and went for Divine Inspiration, getting an early religion with Jesuit Education as one of my founding beliefs. I was swimming in faith to get my Theatre Squares up and running, which was handy because I Could Not Hold All The Great People.
    • I ended up boxed into a corner of my continent by rampaging Aztecs. I was trying not to go to war but I really should have. Eventually he Surprise DOWed me anyway, and so I liberated the CS he'd taken and went to work on the rest of his cities (Monty is both too dangerous and too annoying to live).
    • At some point, a Religious Emergency was declared against Monty for converting Hojo's holy city. I signed up. The AI did not, but duly converted the city away from Monty's religion anyway. I got a fat stack of gold for literally doing nothing. Emergencies are stupid.
    • This was Medieval IIRC. I had two steady alliances but as more and more of Monty's cities fell, I became less and less popular. Eventually I made peace with him, taking his two remaining cities in the peace deal. The next turn his capital flipped - that was very satisfying. Bye Monty!
    • My culture game was solid but stagnating as really I had wanted more cities and more Theatre Squares. Monty's cities helped with this. Then I started to snowball, happily building all the GW slot Wonders I could, got a Heroic Age...
    • ...while forgetting that I should probably maintain some kind of army.
    • By this stage, three Eras after Medieval, I was Public Enemy #1. My two alliances were a distant memory. I was the warmongering scum of the earth, for all eternity. Which frankly was hilarious seeing as every single AI (except Pericles) had either captured one or two City States, or in the case of Philip, all of Indonesia.
    • I was attacked, first by Philip, and then by Pericles. I could easily have lost a city to either of them if I hadn't been paying attention or didn't have the resources to rush buy units. Philip attacked a city of mine with several Infantry Corps and Artillery; I managed to hold him off and brokered an uneasy peace. Meanwhile Pericles came at another city with four Submarine Armadas (I have never seen this on King!). I barely managed to kill all his melee units but that city would have been his if he'd had one more. Yes, the AI is dumb, but it totally caught me off guard, and I enjoyed having to focus down his melee units and Ironclads while hoping he didn't have another lurking. And yes, he is using planes (not well but you take what you can...)
    • As of now I've just won an emergency against Scythia, liberating a City State on my border she'd taken. Her army isn't particularly threatening. So I'm probably home and dry, assuming Pericles doesn't have any more tricks up his toga...

Aussie_Lurker and Ferocitus like this.