Great Wall and AI

andersw

Emperor
Now this wonder is nerfed compared to vanilla, it halts a unit when moved inside border (in vanilla you have -1 move inside borders like how ostrogs work in VP).
It is a strong defensive wonder that is in effect for atleast 3 full eras, more if you wait with dynamite.
Usually I can find a way around it but I will take losses even when ahead in army and tech.
Maybe it isnt such a big issue and its of course not a wonder that gives you any yields per se.
But I would if possible I be happy to see the AI behaviour improved when assessing and dealing with a civ that has Great wall.
The AI struggles with great wall even when in a big tech and army lead, I would guess that it moves in and out of the great wall border too much, you can't play that same retreat game vs GW.
If its not workable with the AI some sort of nerf would be appropriate, for example to let it go obsolete on gunpowder.

What I want to know concerning Great Wall is why the dynamite prerequisite (for crossing unimpeded) applies to the civ that built it, and not for the other civs in-game? My current game has me invading my neighbor with GW, I'm tech leader and have researched dynamite, yet Gandhi (who hasn't hit dynamite yet) still gets the impediment effect on my units...

Is this a bug, or intended behavior?

I also hope the Great Wall can be looked at. The AI that gets it normally has no problems with wars unless it's literally being attacked by all sides. Since the leader is usually the one getting it, it only helps the runaway snowball further. I don't mind if its impact is lessened so there's a brief period when the AI is having little issues against its neighbors. However, that AI is getting too much immunity now.

What I want to know concerning Great Wall is why the dynamite prerequisite (for crossing unimpeded) applies to the civ that built it, and not for the other civs in-game? My current game has me invading my neighbor with GW, I'm tech leader and have researched dynamite, yet Gandhi (who hasn't hit dynamite yet) still gets the impediment effect on my units...

Is this a bug, or intended behavior?

For some time in VP you ignored opponents GW if YOU had dynamite but for some reason (balance?) it got changed back to vanilla weirdness that owner research of dynamite made it obsolete.

This was an old wonder mechanic (from the old days of Civ), but wondering if its still an option. What if the Great Wall gave a free wall (or castle depending on power need) to all of your cities. This free wall would even be granted upon city capture, which is a pretty nice aggressive benefit as well.

This was an old wonder mechanic (from the old days of Civ), but wondering if its still an option. What if the Great Wall gave a free wall (or castle depending on power need) to all of your cities. This free wall would even be granted upon city capture, which is a pretty nice aggressive benefit as well.
Sounds good, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the Great Wall isn't / wasn't even a single wall anyways, but a collection of many spanning the vast region. So the proposal:
  • Free wall (castle would be too op) for every city in empire, and walls provide + (insert reasonably balanced #) city defense -- We could scrap the current movement impediment mechanic, and the new boosted city defense would balance by becoming irrelevant in late game. I know Babylon already runs this style, but this would actually present Babylon players with an almost unassailable new tactic of stacking the UB with buffed walls from Great Wall. The super turtle!
  • All walls provide +1 culture -- With the newly implemented free Great General on Heroic Epic, we can drop the free GG from Great Wall (Brandenburg now feels more unique again, yay!) and give +1 culture on all walls in empire (potential fun synergy with things like God of Protection, Defender of Faith, Japan, etc). A monger with 10 walled cities through 150 turns, for example, will receive +10 culture per turn. That's certainly not game-breaking.

Does the AI know the Great Wall is there when trying to go inside the borders?

I really like the bonus of the Great Wall as it is now (land units lose all movement points upon entering GW territory). This is a terrific game mechanic that can make a large impact on the game, and forces the human player to adapt (which is fun and keeps the game interesting for replay value). I agree it can make a huge impact on the game, and stop a war monger cold. But changing to a bonus that provides free walls is bland in comparison. Let's keep the mechanics that make each CIV game unique and interesting!

However, I agree that the bonus should be negated when the player invading the GW has reseached dynamite, not the holder of the GW. I have been in multiple games (always play WM) where the GW bonus lasts waaay too long... as the AI techs the top of the tree past Archeology... while I am sitting with landships or even tanks waiting for the GW to obsolete. I would like to see this changed to GW obsoletes when invader has teched dynamite.

If you have landships and tanks against musketmen, lancers and fusiliers you should be winning regardless of the Great Wall.

Top Bottom