Great Wall doesn't block Barb galleys?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Firewind, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Firewind

Firewind Psionic Fox

Last game I played on Noble, I had problems with Barb hordes swarming me - I had a strongish position, but couldn't leverage any of my military muscle due to having to constantly smack down barbs at home.

This time, I built the Great Wall fast (partly on impulse due to being Industrious with Stone, but still), and let the Barbs worry other people. I started on a continent with Pacal and Hannibal, finished Pacal off fast and am working on finishing Hannibal off. Suddenly, mid war, I get a warning my fishing boats have been pillaged - by a barbarian galley.

I've never seen them enter my territory when I had the GW up before, is this a bug or just something I'll need to watch for in future?

I'm running BTS 3.19 with BUFFY, in case it matters.

Screenshot attached.

2. J-man

J-man Deity

IIRc the Great wall doesn't work on water.

3. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Yeah, watch for it in the future. GW works only in your mainland. (not on water, not on oversea continent)

Cheers

4. Firewind

Firewind Psionic Fox

Huh, that's something I've never seen happen before. I even saw, in this very game, a Galley ignoring a work boat in my territory right next to it. I presumed the Great Wall was blocking it...

Thanks for the quick answer, I'll have to keep my eyes open in future. It's no big deal (I don't have much seafood in this game), but losing that fish hurt that city bad.

But hey, I'm dominating Hannibal, it's only a matter of time before I've got the coastline watched. :3

5. obsolete

obsolete Deity

This bug has been around since the GW was first added.

6. bestsss

bestsss Emperor

It clearly states the continent in the description. As waters are not part of continent, no block.

7. Silu

Silu Deity

^
    How is a wall supposed to prevent barbarian boats from doing anything? I know it doesn't make much sense that it prevents barbs outside the graphical wall, but at least the flavor is there...

^^
    Barbarian boats sometimes ignore fishing nets if they're chasing a (usually AI) workboat.

8. Firewind

Firewind Psionic Fox

I guess I just got lucky with the workboat that got passed over, then.

@Silu: I know logically a wall shouldn't block on the water, but I would've sworn it said 'Within borders'... Aha, just checked, I see my confusion, it says '100% Great General emergence within borders', I must've taken that for both effects. My bad. ^^'\

9. Yared

Yared That Guy

There should be some counterpart that prevents this along with piracy.

10. bestsss

bestsss Emperor

It's called 'units'

11. Yared

Yared That Guy

:eek:

12. DementedAvenger

DementedAvenger Prince

Well, historically speaking, the Vikings never invaded China, so the Great Wall DID work.

13. Calouste

Calouste Deity

That might have been because it was fish in an ocean tile (as opposed to a coastal tile). Galleys can't enter ocean tiles unless those tiles are in their own cultural borders, so ocean fish is safe from barbarians.

14. obsolete

obsolete Deity

Well if we're going that route.. how the hell are Pyramids supposed to unlock every government civic? How the hell does SoL give all those free people in every city.... How the hell does....

15. Silu

Silu Deity

Well you called it a bug, even though it works exactly as documented:
    "Prevents Barbarians from Entering Borders on Continent".

I don't see the issue.

16. harry_flashman

harry_flashman Chieftain

ive noticed barb galleys often leave workboats alone too. I imagine they are waiting for the workboat to turn into fishing boats as its better to pillage, than just destroy the workboat.

17. Trev

Trev Prince

Barb galleys leave everything alone in ocean tiles, both fishing nets and work boats, solution is to place a trireme in a location that prevents their movement towards your fishing area with the use of coast only.

18. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

If you are using an industrious leader, metal casting should be a priority. Build some triremes and your fish will be safe. Or fog bust the shore.

19. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

The opportunity cost of getting MC on high levels (before barb galleys are at their worst that is) is too high. Use 2 rules:

1. Standard spawn bust - barb units can't spawn w/in 2 tiles of another unit (or in visible land), so just lock them from even showing up.
    2. Barb galley sight - Barb galleys can only "see" 7 tiles into culture, they won't enter to pillage unless they can see an improvement that can be pillaged.

Using a combination of the above, it is frequently possible to defeat galleys on IMM+ in isolation, without even having access to the sailing technology.

20. huerfanista

huerfanista Emperor

As long as one of your neighbors doesn't give them a work boat to chase into your territory. :lol: