1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Wall not slowing enemies down

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Salil, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Salil

Salil Chieftain

Hello Friends,

In a game playing as Iroquois, I built the great wall. However, it doesn't seem to be slowing down enemies. For eg. a pikeman started out from enemy territory and killed my chariot archer. At this point I thought that maybe the great wall only slowed down enemies who already were inside my territory. But after a few turns an american rifleman who was completely inside my territory moves 2 hexes to capture my city when I clearly only expected him to move 1 hex. Is this another bug or is it just that I don't understand how the wall functions. Bcz I clearly remember in another game playing as Russia the wall really did slow down enemies. Also is there a way to capture cities without killing half the population?

2. Malvi

Malvi Chieftain

it doesn't work at all, what about the fact that it continues to expand over and over during the ages
    comic :crazyeye:

3. vexing

vexing knows

it becomes obsolete when metallurgy is discovered.

4. Bob_

Bob_ Warlord

Hum, it certainly works only if the enemy is in your terretory. About the american rifleman: he can move without malus, means he can pass for example 2 hills in one turn.

How that works with great wall i dont know, but obviously it doesnt bother him too

5. Skyjack666

Skyjack666 Chieftain

Sorry, what's malus mean?

6. 19Mellon73

19Mellon73 Chieftain

It's the opposite of Bonus. ;)

Regarding the Wall, was it probably allready obsolete?

7. Bob_

Bob_ Warlord

Movement malus: Moving onto a hill (without forrest) takes away 2 movement points instead of 1 in a plain. The additional movement costs (in this case 1) i did call malus, which is indeed the opposite of bonus

8. joyous_gard

joyous_gard Prince

For reals? Malus is the opposite of bonus? Nothing turned up on a google search. I don't know what the opposite for bonus is, so if it's malus someone verify. Malus is the genus for apple.

My understanding was the Great Wall removes one movement point for a unit. So if it could normally move three spaces, it would only be allowed to move 2. Melee can move two, so at most it can move one in Great Wall. But, if it was a scout which had +1 movement promotion and then upgraded to Archer via ruins and then promoted to rifle... it would have 3 movement reduced to two.

I didn't know that Great Wall went obsolete.

I don't know if Great Wall works. It works when I am playing against it, but it's harder to tell when I am playing with it.

The graphic is kind of lame with wall borders along the coast, and the wall (as well as other wonders) move when the game is reloaded. Similarly, lighthouses built in classical turn modern when a game is reloaded in the industrial era. I would rather keep them ancient. So it's a measure of when things got built. This lighthouse was from 500 AD, but this newer modern city has a modern lighthouse from the 1900s.

9. esemjay

esemjay Prince

"Bonus" is Latin for "Good", "Malus" is Latin for "Bad."

It's not commonly used, and is very poorly documented- just like the words "willn't", "maths", and "halloweven".

10. Babri

Babri Emperor

As mentioned before, Great Wall gets obsolete with metallurgy. So if you want to extend its usage, delay researching metallurgy a bit. ;)

11. Salil

Salil Chieftain

Is there any way to find out what promotions an enemy unit has? Also any way to capture a city without killing half it's population?

12. apotheoser

apotheoser Prince

"Its" population. Not "it's".

And the answer is "no".

13. lynxxyarly

lynxxyarly Warlord

Does anyone else feel the great wall is like the worst wonder, by far, in the game? It really needs to be changed into something more useful. I liked it in civ4: barbs cant travel into them.

That had its use, at least.

14. Salil

Salil Chieftain

I don't see any where in the game where it is said that the great wall is made obsolete by metallurgy. In fact in my previous game I remember till the very end that the bonus affected enemy units.

15. Yzman

Yzman Deity

Honestly I don't remember it going obsolete either.

16. vexing

vexing knows

it doesn't say in the game, it's in civ5buildings.xml
    <Type>BUILDING_GREAT_WALL</Type>
    <ObsoleteTech>TECH_METALLURGY</ObsoleteTech>

personally i never build great wall, but if i happen to capture it early i do enjoy its effect