1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Wall protection

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by lymond, Dec 6, 2009.

1. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I don't build the Great Wall very often all - pretty situational. I notice the wall graphically borders the city it's built in and any cities attached to said city by cultural borders. Cities not attach by cultural borders do not have the wall graphic. My question is if the GW protection extends to these outlying cities?

I'm basically referring to early in the game. For example, you have say 4 or 5 cities now settled and 3 are connected by cultural borders. The Great Wall is now built and these 3 cities have the wall around it. Are cities 4 and 5 also safe from barbs, if settled prior to completion of the GW?)

2. CornPlanter

CornPlanter Emperor

Great Wall prevents barbs entering your cultural borders.

Great Wall's model on the map is just for decorative purposes. Means nothing.

3. Bezurn

Bezurn Prince

The great wall protects all cities from land based barbarians from entering, regardless of when they are built or if they are connected to the cultural borders of the city that built them.

I haven't fully tested this, but I think it protects a settler so a barbarian can't move next to it. Just a pet theory of mine that's probably false :)

In my recent prince Shaka game a horde of barbarian archers laid waste to the greeks south of me, and I had slow expanding Isabella far far far to my north with an enormous amount of jungle between us. I had marble in my capitol BFC, and picked up stone very quickly to build the great wall. It has helped a ton, as there are over 8 barbarian cities to the north, and a few to the south that need to be cleared up, but best to get my economy strong before crashing it with 20+ cities :)

4. lymond

I can't believe I didn't know this. I always went by the graphic. Makes a huge difference on the value of the wonder, except for the freakin' great spy points.

5. McThomas

McThomas Creative Warrior

douuuuh.... the great wall is wonderfull on higher levels... you dont have to worry about barbs attacking your citys!

6. lymond

Yeah, plus you can focus more on settler/workers as opposed to units - man, I suck!

7. McThomas

McThomas Creative Warrior

noooo... you just have to learn... :)

8. CornPlanter

CornPlanter Emperor

Barbs can move next to settler. Its just that if you find a city, barbs get magically teleported out. Yes, Chinese Wall was this effective :)

9. KaytieKat

KaytieKat King

Hi

Dont forget that GW only works for cities on the landmass it is built so dont forget to watchout for em if you start settling island or diff continents. Also it doesnt stop barbie galleys from pillaging your seafood nomatter where your cities are.

Kaytie

10. peapd

peapd Chieftain

I remember when I first played wondering the same question as the OP, and I believed I looked it up in the 'pedia. Based on the way the graphic works it's not an unreasonable assumption that the GW only works around the image (especially because it does a great job of wrapping around curly cultural borders), and I wonder how many casual-type players go on thinking this for their entire span of playing the game.

It shouldn't be too hard to change the mechanic for the GW image to wrap around all cities, not just the ones connected to the city that builds it. Something Firaxis should maybe patch and/or remedy in the next version of the game.

p.s. Isn't is a Terry Pratchett joke that the Counter-Weight continent nation (can't remember the name, his spoof of China) also builds the Wall around islands? Been too long since I read that one.

11. Fei Kelei

Fei Kelei Pleased

Yes, later on they suck, but for my first great person, there's nothing I'd rather have than a spy. An early infiltration mission is worth a ton of free (stolen) techs, or just settle him and see everyone's research for most of the game, which is really useful in planning your own research paths. The early great spy is one of the best things about the GW.

12. joanne

joanne Barbarian

Personally I think the great wall is kind of a cheat - for one thing it doesn't obsolete with gunpowder as with city walls & castles, which can be decisive if you're on a really massive unsettled continent, like China(the real one) in the 17th century - the real great wall didn't stop Manchu(regarded by the Ming dynasty Chinese as barbarians) coming from what is now Manchuria and eastern Siberia, which at the time was not yet settled by Russia. Also the early espionage bonus accumulates while other civs cannot catch up until they have code of laws.

13. §L¥ Gµ¥

§L¥ Gµ¥ Prince

GW becomes more and more valuable on higher levels. When you don't have to focus on early military, you're in a much better position for the REX. Only problem is, at the end of the REX, you're weak militarily, and unless you've played the diplomacy game well, the AI might get a little jealous.

14. dualmaster

dualmaster Emperor

Doesn't look like it has been specifically said, but note that the GW does NOT prevent barb galleys from entering your territory and pillaging your nets. So even with GW it can still be useful to spawnbust for galleys.

15. mfie

mfie Warlord

Lol like there are still barbs when gunpowder is discovered,...

16. joanne

joanne Barbarian

Yes I've seen some isolated barbarians on a far-away island having infantry garrisoned in their cities :eek: And, in the real world, the Islamic extremist terrorists, Afghanistan, Iraq prior to 2003, North Korea, Somali pirates, Zimbabwe etc. can be considered barbarians

17. Monsterzuma

Monsterzuma the sly one

For this reason I tend to regard it as a bit of a misconception that the GW is so good at the higher levels. At Immortal/Deity it becomes increasingly important to defend against both Barbs and regular civs. The only thing that acheives both ends at a time, is to just hook up your resource and spam axemen.

18. CornPlanter

CornPlanter Emperor

They can, but only after you discover mass media :) With a possible exception of Somali pirates.

19. City Raider

City Raider Warlord

I go back and forth on the GW. I used to never build it, then as I moved up to Monarch and then eventually Emperor, I started building it for a while, but then I stopped b/c I focused more on early Axe/Chariot.

Now, I've got it down to a completely situational build. If I have copper/horse in my capital's BFC, I propably won't build, since I can immediately pump out solid military units. But if I have room for some nice peaceful expansion, then I will build it so I don't have to worry about the barbs at all. Access to stone in my capital BFC means I'll make a run at GW and Mids in most games. I might even make a late run at stonehenge for fail-gold. Again, that assumes I'm not next to a warmonger or something.

20. joanne

joanne Barbarian