Great Warpath

Is moving from a road to Friendly forest or vice versa supposed to take a full move, or is that a bug. The trade route thing works, but it seems I have to build a road through the forest to get the movement reduction. Thanks.

I'm fairly sure that is working correctly.

The interface is a bit confusing in Civ V since it truncates fractions of movement points down.

Playing Hiawatha today, and I noticed that after I upgraded the non-forest sections of my road up to railroads, all of a sudden my units get fouled up and stop using those sections properly, acting and moving as if there weren't any road there at all anymore, only going one or two tiles at a time and not following the path properly. Chunks of railroad between chunks of forest don't seem to work so well.

I found recently that if I have a road on a tile I don't own and move from there onto a forest tile that I do own, I don't get the movement reduction. It's actually really annoying and makes Great Warpath a lot less valuable than I first thought.

IIRC the forest has to be within your borders to be used as a road.

Yes, of course, a forest or jungle tile only counts as and acts like a road when it's within your civ boundary. But the problem I was running into, was entirely within my Iroquois civ boundary- I'd built a road from my capital to a nearby city, and it consisted of six tiles: a forest, a plain with a road chunk on it, another forest, another plain with a road chunk on it, and then two forest tiles on the far end. This worked fine and provided fast travel and a trade route between the two cities all the way up until I updated the two non-forest plains road chunks to railroad- after that, even though the trade route remained functional, every time I tried to cruise a unit over that stretch, they'd stop and get slowed down and hung up and wander off the path as soon as they got to the railroad chunks- as if it was broken there or something. No idea why, just mo' buggies, I guess.

IIRC the forest has to be within your borders to be used as a road.

Yes any foilage along the route outside of my borders I always built a road. However this is the exact situation. From my city it was two forests in my borders then road through neutral territory then a road in my border followed by a forest then my other city. The trade route was there, but if I went from a friendly forest to an adjacent road it would cost me the whole one or two movement based on terrain instead of the reduced movement cost for road to road. I hadn't even gotten to railroad to check that. I need to play Inca tonight and check their movement between nonroaded hills and roads. Although with Inca I won't have to worry about paying for a road on hills.

The other weird thing I've been noticing is with building roads. Is there some secret bonus for some civs that make them build them faster? I can have the same worker bonuses, and some civs like Iroquois will finish the road the second i click build road, and other civs will take longer.

Top Bottom