1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Work Theft

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by Zanteogo, Apr 21, 2017 at 5:24 AM.

1. Zanteogo

Zanteogo Chieftain

Does anyone actually store great works anywhere other than their capital anymore?

Great works are generally a big investment as it is, not so much their power but the fact you generally are trading the great person bost in order to get them. Of course you can steal them from other civs yourself, but generally your getting them from not taking the "other" ability of great people.

I'm not sure about anyone else but since the change to allow spies to steal them from non-capitals I have just stoped putting them in anywhere other than my capital. If I run out of space I either save the great person, or use the other ability.

vyyt likes this.
  2. vyyt

vyyt Chieftain

I disable Espionage completely, this being one of the reasons.

3. Strigvir

Strigvir Chieftain

Yeah, it sucks big balls.
    The game was already capital-centrics even before the change, now there is no point in making core cities anything but production centers.

4. peterw1987

peterw1987 Chieftain

I dunno why great work theft is even added in the game. That is essentially game ruining. But disabling espionage also a bad idea. Spy and diplomat is really fun IMO.

I always auto swap optimize great work right after i expended GP. And it usually automatically stored to capital. But i have lots of great work at non capital late game, because of slot limitation.

5. Stalker0

Stalker0 Chieftain

I will admit I have never liked this feature myself. I can't speak to its balance, but I don't like it conceptually.

6. pandasnail

pandasnail Chieftain

I guess I'm the only one, but I quite like it, just for its ability to get me lvl 3 spies real quick if the right AIs are in the game, which at least seem to be way better at assassinating/not getting assassinated than lvl 1. I admit that I don't have math on that, and also that I pretty much never play for a pure culture victory that isn't already capital-based (and not even many of those).

7. tu_79

tu_79 Chieftain

I did a pretty intensive great works game, without caring where AI placed my GW, and I got no work stolen, even with England in the game. Maybe they were all in my capital, but I doubt it.

8. Zanteogo

Zanteogo Chieftain

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates this feature. I guess it's time to turn off spying all together.. it's a shame because I don't mind the other features of espionage.

Any chance we can get an option to just turn this feature off?

9. Galbias

Galbias Chieftain

I like it, it's good to have more uses for spies and grab some GWs if you have extras and don't care about the diplomatic consequences. I could see why you'd want to have an option to turn it off though.

If we're talking about espionage as a whole, I'm not sure I like advanced spy actions, several of them are more about hurting the spyee rather than helping you and can get your spy caught before s/he even has a chance to steal a tech (or gw).

10. Zanteogo

Zanteogo Chieftain

Ya, the advanced spy actions have a side effect of alerting the empire and moving in their own counter spies. It would be nice if there was a way to just steal tech and not do the other spy actions.

11. ElliotS

ElliotS Chieftain

I love the feature. I also love seeing the a build Parthenon in a non-capital city, as it's a garunteed nab.

Does it work against Egypt? Seems like a good counter.

12. CrazyG

CrazyG Chieftain

It works really well against Egypt

13. vyyt

vyyt Chieftain

I miss the diplomats, true, but I do not miss the other features as I usually find them annoying when being spied upon and useless or boring when I am spying on someone else. A thing to note is that the police stations become unavailable, so you have less means to counter the Crime unhappiness - actually I should probably report this at GitHub, it seems to be an oversight.

14. Lifariz

Lifariz Chieftain

VP just by itself doesn't have enough anti-spy measures. Maybe we can have more anti-spy measures? Wouldn't mind seeing enemy spies drop like flies because they tried to steal your dough.

15. Enginseer

Enginseer Trade Agreement

Honestly if you made the capital able to lose great works. Players would actually spread out their Great Works to prevent people from stealing them. Instead you have at most a lot of slots for tourism bonuses in the capital and then ignoring everything else.

16. Strigvir

Strigvir Chieftain

And deal with the nonsense of the interface, which is a cultural overview window, on turn-by-turn basis. Very great idea. Besides, most of the percentage tourism bonuses work on a single city, and some of them only work in capital, which makes the choice of a single tourism city trivial. So even allowing for spies to steal from capital won't change the paradigm, only make spies more annoying. And that ignoring how tech steal (from which you technically won't lose anything) is mechanically different from GW steal. 16 spies tech stealing will only supply a tech to 16 civilizations, while 16 heists completely empty out GWs you have in a city, and that only 1 steal from each spy.

17. tu_79

tu_79 Chieftain

In fact, I agree with Enginseer. If it becomes too annoying, maybe reduce stealing likeliness, but right now, with everything focused in capitals there's little strategy.

18. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

You can't do that. I don't have access to the net code and there's only two possible values that can go through: diplomat and spy. I hijacked that code to make the great work theft code function.

A safe place for great works in the capital is by design in any case. Tourism is supposed to be a tall-specific yield: punishing players that go wide and try to tourism without tall infrastructure will get poached.

G

19. Funak

Funak Chieftain

I just pretend like art-theft is not in the game. Really don't like the feature, but what can you do?