Great Works crashed

otaman1

Prince
I'm currently making a Great Works mod. I've implemented currently one new Great Artist and an existing Great Writer. I played test it and after turn one the game crashed. Why did it crash? Was it because I was using an existing Great Person? Here are the codes for each file:

Great Work File
Code:
<GameData>
	<GreatWorks>
		<!-- GREAT WORKS LITERATURE -->
		<Row>
			<Type>GREAT_WORK_ROMEO_AND_JULIET</Type>
			<GreatWorkClassType>GREAT_WORK_LITERATURE</GreatWorkClassType>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_GREAT_WORK_ROMEO_AND_JULIET</Description>
			<Quote>TXT_KEY_GREAT_WORK_QUOTE_ROMEO_AND_JULIET</Quote>
			<Audio>AS2D_GREAT_ARTIST_ARTWORK</Audio>
			<Image>GreatWriter_Background.dds</Image>
		</Row>
		<!-- GREAT WORKS ART -->
		<Row>
			<Type>GREAT_WORK_ABRAHAM_AND_ISAAC</Type>
			<GreatWorkClassType>GREAT_WORK_ART</GreatWorkClassType>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_GREAT_ABRAHAM_AND_ISAAC</Description>
			<Audio>AS2D_GREAT_ARTIST_ARTWORK</Audio>
			<Image>GW_Abraham_And_Isaac.dds</Image>
		</Row>
	</GreatWorks>
</GameData>

Great Work Text File
Code:
<GameData>
	<Language_en_US>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_WORK_QUOTE_ROMEO_AND_JULIET">
			<Text>"O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]
It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]
Like a rich jewel in an Ethiop's ear."</Text>
		</Row>
	</Language_en_US>
</GameData>

Object Text File
Code:
<GameData>
    <!-- Great Works -->
  <Language_en_US>
	<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_WORK_ROMEO_AND_JULIET">
      <Text>Romeo and Juliet</Text>
    </Row>
    <Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_WORK_ABRAHAM_AND_ISAAC">
      <Text>Abraham and Isaac</Text>
    </Row>
  </Language_en_US>
</GameData>

Unit Text File
Code:
<GameData>
	<Language_en_US>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_WILLIAM_SHAKESPEARE">
			<Text>William Shakespeare</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_REMBRANDT_RIJN">
			<Text>Rembrandt Rijn</Text>
		</Row>
	</Language_en_US>
</GameData>

Unit File
Code:
<GameData>
		<!-- Great Writers -->
	<Unit_UniqueNames>
		<Row>
			<UnitType>UNIT_WRITER</UnitType>
			<UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_WILLIAM_SHAKESPEARE</UniqueName>
			<GreatWorkType>GREAT_WORK_ROMEO_AND_JULIET</GreatWorkType>
		</Row>		
		<!-- Great Artists -->
		<Row>
			<UnitType>UNIT_ARTIST</UnitType>
			<UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_REMBRANDT_RIJN</UniqueName>
			<GreatWorkType>GREAT_WORK_ABRAHAM_AND_ISAAC</GreatWorkType>
		</Row>
	</Unit_UniqueNames>
</GameData>

I also have GW_Abraham_And_Isaac.dds so that's not the problem. It's also spelt the way I spelt it

Was it because I was using an existing Great Person?

Explain this please. If you're assigning more than one Great Work to a Great Writer/Artist type then yes, the game may crash. (just an assumption by me, though)

Do you have logging enabled? If so, check the Database log, it might help.

I would assume it is because you are over-using Shakespear, try giving the Romeo and Juliet's Shakespear a unique ID (you can keep calling him William Shakespear though I believe)

I would assume it is because you are over-using Shakespear, try giving the Romeo and Juliet's Shakespear a unique ID (you can keep calling him William Shakespear though I believe)

This is what I plan to do once I get my mod up and running. It's kind of frustrating how each great artist corresponds to only one great work. It puts a limit on how many works by each artists you can include without doing stuff like 'Picasso12". I'm planning on adding a bunch of Van Gogh paintings. So far my list of possible names to call him are Vincent van Goh, Vincent Willem van Gogh, Van Gogh, V. Van Gogh, and V.W. van Gogh.

Oh, and thanks otaman1 for posting your xml stuff. I'm new to modding so it was helpful to see it.

This is what I plan to do once I get my mod up and running. It's kind of frustrating how each great artist corresponds to only one great work. It puts a limit on how many works by each artists you can include without doing stuff like 'Picasso12". I'm planning on adding a bunch of Van Gogh paintings. So far my list of possible names to call him are Vincent van Goh, Vincent Willem van Gogh, Van Gogh, V. Van Gogh, and V.W. van Gogh.

Oh, and thanks otaman1 for posting your xml stuff. I'm new to modding so it was helpful to see it.

You do know you can make a William Shakespeare_2 and say
Code:
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE_2"> 
<Text> William Shakespeare</Text>
</Row>

Code:
</Row>

Nice!!! I didn't know that. That will allow me much more flexibility with my choices.

Explain this please. If you're assigning more than one Great Work to a Great Writer/Artist type then yes, the game may crash. (just an assumption by me, though)
Yep. That's what I meant. Shakespeare's in the game, and I'm trying to implement another one of his plays.

Do you have logging enabled? If so, check the Database log, it might help.
I'm not sure. I might.

Yeah, I believe that's the issue.

Well, you're welcome

Code:
</Row>
Great! Never actually thought of that. I'll try it out.

Great! Never actually thought of that. I'll try it out.
Make sure when your coding your 2nd William great writer code it like this:
Code:
<UniqueNames>
		<Row>
			<UnitType>UNIT_WRITER</UnitType>
			<UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_WILLIAM_SHAKESPEARE_[B]2[/B]</UniqueName>
			<GreatWorkType>GREAT_WORK_ROMEO_AND_JULIET</GreatWorkType>
</UniqueNames>

What size (dimension) is required for Great Works of Art?

Okay, so I got my Great Work of Art to show up in game, I attached it as a free Great Work by building a "Unique Palace". However, I gave the Unique Palace 2 slots and a theming bonus, but in the "Your Culture" section of the Tourism interface, only one slot shows up in this screen? In the City View building list, it shows 2 slots though.

Using IGE, I went into the next era and created a Great Artist to see if it would give the theming bonus, and it did give the theming bonus. It shows up in the City View building list as having 2 Great Works of Art with a theming bonus of +2. But still in the "Your Culture" section of the Tourism interface, the Crystal Tower only has one slot showing, with nothing indicating a theming bonus, or the fact that the second GWoA is placed in there as well.

I must be missing something I should be adding regarding the Tourism interface in the XMLs

Okay, so I got my Great Work of Art to show up in game, I attached it as a free Great Work by building a "Unique Palace". However, I gave the Unique Palace 2 slots and a theming bonus, but in the "Your Culture" section of the Tourism interface, only one slot shows up in this screen? In the City View building list, it shows 2 slots though.

Using IGE, I went into the next era and created a Great Artist to see if it would give the theming bonus, and it did give the theming bonus. It shows up in the City View building list as having 2 Great Works of Art with a theming bonus of +2. But still in the "Your Culture" section of the Tourism interface, the Crystal Tower only has one slot showing, with nothing indicating a theming bonus, or the fact that the second GWoA is placed in there as well.

I must be missing something I should be adding regarding the Tourism interface in the XMLs

The "Your Culture" tab is quite hideously hardcoded, so the top buildings (Museum, Palace, etc) have a predefined ammount of slots. This means that any override that changes that number isn't showed well. Also, buildings other than Wonders, the Hermitage and the Oxford University won't show up in the left part either...

So... check this. It's a modification of the CultureOverview.lua that you may have to add to your mod if you want it to show the extra slots on the left.

The "Your Culture" tab is quite hideously hardcoded, so the top buildings (Museum, Palace, etc) have a predefined ammount of slots. This means that any override that changes that number isn't showed well. Also, buildings other than Wonders, the Hermitage and the Oxford University won't show up in the left part either...

So... check this. It's a modification of the CultureOverview.lua that you may have to add to your mod if you want it to show the extra slots on the left.

darn it, thanks for letting me know!

Learning LUA is the next thing on my list after I update my existing stuff for BNW

Top Bottom