Greatest 90s rock band

Nirvana. Probably the greatest post-1960s band.

Wow. I was rather ignorant when I made this post...

Anyways, my favorite is Björk, but she is neither a band nor really rock, and my two favorite 90s bands (Portishead and Massive Attack) aren't really rock either. So I'd have to go with Radiohead.

Wow. I was rather ignorant when I made this post...

Anyways, my favorite is Björk, but she is neither a band nor really rock, and my two favorite 90s bands (Portishead and Massive Attack) aren't really rock either. So I'd have to go with Radiohead.

I didn't even realize this was a necro thread until this post.

It's kind of weird looking back at past posts to see how you've changed. Although my music tastes for the 90's is pretty much the same. I think even 2 years ago I would have went with Tool. My mood for bands can vary from day to day of course depending on my mood. I don't listen to metal that much anymore (I'm more into classical), but when I think of the 90's, I think of grunge and metal. I listened to almost no pop music from that decade aside from a couple songs you couldn't escape from like Macarena and Boombastic.

I may have seem harsh on Nirvana earlier, I do like them. Although I'm so sick of Teen spirit. I heard Dumb on the radio today, and it's a decent song. But I just can't say Nirvana dominated the 90's. They were a bright flame that burned bright, but burned out quickly. I can say they dominated a couple years, but not a decade.

I was into Korn back in the 90's too for their first couple of albums (the first part of their third album was decent too), but I'm not going to say they were one of the greatest. I just thought they deserved a mention. I liked the deftones too.

edit: I almost forgot what my user name was here. It should be no surprise I picked Tool. Undertow is a good album, and it doesn't get as much recognition as Aenima or Lateralus. I agree with a mod above not to link videos with no comment. A comment helps to know why the video was posted in the first place. Speaking of videos, I present my screen name. It's not really a song, just some trippy stuff.
re-edit: I forgot part 2

Link to video.

Link to video.

Listen to this album; if you don't get an epiphany at the end, you have no soul.

No one mentioned SoundGarden?

Pffffff.

Good to know some folks have taste; nothing against Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Screaming Trees, Radiohead, or others, but Soundgarden is just intense. I so regret not going to one of their reunion gigs; next tour they do I will go to or die haha.

I am a big Queens of the Stone Age Fan, and since Self Titled and Rated R were both recorded in the 90s, I would give them a 3rd place (Soundgarden, Nirvana, Queens).

Soundgarden is the second best grunge band. Songs like Limo Wreck, Slaves and Bulldozers or Superunknown are incredibly powerful, but they have too many songs which I would describe as meh to be the best.

RHCP are one of the most overrated bands of all time. I like them too but they're nowhere near the top.

Deftones deserve mention too.

The '90s were pretty good. Not as good at the '00s, but way better than the '80s or earlier. That said, my vote goes to Pearl Jam. Ten was the closest thing to a "perfect" album released in the '90s, IMO.

the 80s, 90s, and 2000s all had their awesome moments in music. The later 90s were some of the worst years for rock music. Rock didn't get good again until the funk-punk, electroclash movement gave it new energy starting in the early 2000s but not gaining much mainstream influence until the late 2000s. The problem with rock today is that the vocals are over-produced. You get these awesome edgy amplified guitars combined with an autotuned voice. Most people don't hear it, because it's not like T-Pain, but proper autotuning that's supposed to be subtle. Nevertheless the crystal clear, concert-tuned pitch is a dead giveaway and doesn't sound good for the genre.

Autotuning sounds better with pop and dance because the instrumental timbres of synths go better with electronically adjusted vocals. And I can see it's place when used well in modern dance fusion rock bands who followed the Happy Mondays tradition. But in rock that's trying to be rock, it's awful.

Never been a particularly big fan of 90s rock, nor much of what the 80s had, for that matter.

Stan Bush & Barrage released "Heaven" in 1998, so I can legitimately call them a '90s band... and, being the greatest band of all time, that makes them the greatest band of the '90s.

The '90s were pretty good. Not as good at the '00s, but way better than the '80s or earlier. That said, my vote goes to Pearl Jam. Ten was the closest thing to a "perfect" album released in the '90s, IMO.

I don't even know what to say to this.

Soundgarden is the second best grunge band. Songs like Limo Wreck, Slaves and Bulldozers or Superunknown are incredibly powerful, but they have too many songs which I would describe as meh to be the best.

RHCP are one of the most overrated bands of all time. I like them too but they're nowhere near the top.

Deftones deserve mention too.

I assume you picked Nirvana?

As for Soundgarden, their earlier work is sort of "meh", but from Louder Than Love (practically in the 90s....) to Down On The Upside, they don't really fail to impress. Good to know that someone appreciates the awesomeness of Slaves And Bulldozers, song is great.

Top Bottom