1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Greatest athlete of last century

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by holiday_hawk, Jun 13, 2008.

?

Greatest athlete of the 1900s

1. Muhammed Ali

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Babe Ruth

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Wayne Gretzky

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Michael Jordan

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Other

27 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. holiday_hawk

holiday_hawk King

I would have to say Muhammad Ali, he is like my favorite athlete ever and he was just so good its kinda scary

2. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

Cristiano Lucarelli? ;)

3. holiday_hawk

holiday_hawk King

Yeah if there a European athlete i probably haven't heard of them so thats why there not up there, but if you think one is the best say who it is i would love to learn more about European sports, history and sports are my passion and i love knowing more about both

4. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

Well, tennis is played in the USA as well :) . So:

Ken Rosewall (lost a decade+ of Grand Slam titles because of the anachronistic anti-pro rules, but can anyone guess what he would have done in the Sixties?)

But Suzanne Lenglen achieved a level of domination in her field few, if any can even dream of.

EDIT: By the way, ever heard about Pelé?

5. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

I always thought Jim Thorpe was the classical benchmark of great "athlete".

Since he played about 30 sports and was very good at all of them.

6. holiday_hawk

holiday_hawk King

He's another good one, not only did he play like 30 sports but he also played almost all positions in them he played RB, QB, TE, a little WR, and i think even some K in football

7. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

And in the same vein:

It often gets overshadowed, because his significance as a social icon and American hero is so much more important, but Jackie Robinson was a VERY talented athlete (three sport all-american athlete in college).

8. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

Other...

Eric Heiden would be my choice

9. raketooy

raketooy professional Coke drinker

I would say Pelé. He is the greatest icon in football and football is the greatest sport.

10. holy king

holy king Deity

pele? maradona?

who the hell is babe ruth...

11. philippe

philippe FYI, I chase trains.

Eddy Merckx

No doubt about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Merckx

learn and be amazed.

The French ruined his record though, he could have gotten 8 tour de France victories :mad:

12. A Revolutionary

A Revolutionary Beating the Drums

Heard of Bill Russell?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Russell

Eleven titles in a thirteen year NBA career is pretty good. Celtics in the 1960s were the only dynasty in NBA history. Everything else is just a great stretch by a great team.

13. holiday_hawk

holiday_hawk King

Heard of Bill Russell, I'm a huge C fan, and Russell was great but he also played in a different world then Jordan and if I could choose any team of 5 ever my first pick would definitely be Russell but M.J. was better

Yeah i'm kind of ashamed for forgetting Pele, but what do you mean who's Babe Ruth, i thought everyone knew him he's the greatest thing baseball has ever seen could play every position, he was out homering entire clubs, although he really sucked once he got older and should have put the bat down a few years early than he did when he was in his prime he was unstoppable

14. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan The Ruler of Cattle

yeah, Jim Thorpe. He did everything, and was uber good at every sport he tried.

15. Arwon

Arwon

Sir Donald Bradman, obviously. Dominated cricket more than any other player has dominated a sport at any time.

His batting average of 99.94 stands so far above everyone else in history it is amazing. The guy in second place, Pollock, had an average of 60.97 and there's a big cluster just below him in the high 50s. how often do you find a sport where one player has nearly doubled the achievement of their nearest elite comparison?

Ali's the only one that comes close and that's only because his isn't a statistics driven sport.

16. holiday_hawk

holiday_hawk King

Wow i know nothing about cricket but you don't need to know anything about it to know that having 33% better average is really really good

17. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

Football has become statistics driven, and no one in Europe or South America has got the notice? :eek:

18. holy king

holy king Deity

nope, never heard of him. i know there was this italian american player joe dimaggio that was pretty good because he's constantly mentioned in american sitcoms, but babe ruth?
    i dont think a lot of people outside the usa have heard of him...

19. Arwon

Arwon

I disagree, Babe Ruth is famous the same way DiMaggio is, a lot of people who don't know the sport have heard of them.

Goals per game. Same as basketball or Ice Hockey. Ballsports are easily compared, next to Boxing or Cycling.

Anyone who knows rugby better than me, who'd be the best rugby player ever?

20. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

That one is tough since there are so many great Rugby players. I really cannot say since their are many that could be put up there. But is really hard t really say who dominate the game, since their are too many different aspects of Rugby, since a great forward does different work to a great back men, so it is nearly impossible to say.