Greatest Cities UI

FramedArchitect

Reluctant Modder
Adds a city ranking system that is displayed in a new World's Greatest Cities screen (available via the Diplo Corner pulldown menu).

At the dawn of each new era, the highest ranked world city becomes a World's Greatest City, which allows that city to build a Triumphal Arch.

The Arch is a National Wonder that begins a Golden Age and provides some happiness. Each Civilization can only build one Arch.

Downloads
Greatest Cities v.11

Compatibility
Vanilla; Gods & Kings; Brave New World

Attachments

• TopCities01.jpg
    TopCities01.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1,011
  • TopCities02.jpg
    TopCities02.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 838
  • TopCities06.jpg
    TopCities06.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 925
That's pretty cool. What does the Triumphal Arch do, and can one city build multiple arches if it is top ranked several eras in one game?

Looks interesting! I'll check it out for my next game.

Here the German Translation, for this Great Mod.

I added my Translation to "TopCities_en_US.xml" (--Beginn German Translate--)

Is it possible to make it so that when the early game that when a foreign city is the "Greatest" but you haven't met them it displays "An Unknown City is the Greatest City of the x Era?". Sometimes it's a spoiler in a sense.

Here the German Translation, for this Great Mod...
Thank you Andre, I'll add your translation to the next update.

Is it possible to make it so that when the early game that when a foreign city is the "Greatest" but you haven't met them it displays "An Unknown City is the Greatest City of the x Era?". Sometimes it's a spoiler in a sense.
It's certainly possible... I always allowed the current greatest city to be revealed because its fame would seem to make it known throughout the world.

It might make sense on a Pangea map, but less so if the Rhodesian city of Salisbury is on another continent, across the ocean before anyone has researched Astronomy.

Hi FramedArchitect

Just dropped by to say that I really like your mod - it's on my default list for each game, and there is many reasons for that.
It's well balanced - adding a cool new feature, which is good enough to try to fight for it, but at the same time not strong enough to give someone a winning advantage or throw the game rules upside down. You can still win not having a greatest city at all, but if you've earned the Triumphal Arch, you know it's a reward for developing your city instead of just pumping soldiers and settlers out of it.
It's well written - I have absolutely 0 conflicts with other mods both in single player and in multiplayer using mpmpm, and judging by the length of this thread it is bugless.
The scoring system makes sense, allowing versatile approach to the city, and the bonus for winning multiple award is smart - you still get something, but it doesn't make you op comparing to the other civs.
It is simple and light, yet introducing something refreshing to the base game. In short words - I can fully recommend it to everybody.

If I was to think about any potential improvement, I would agree with TPangolin's comment.
It is surprising in the ancient or classical era to get to know that an unknown city somewhere in the great unknown world, is the greatest, and it may also reveal your opponents too early - before you even meet them, taking a bit of the exploring fun away.

Top Bottom