Greatest Gaming Moments (Unscripted, Please!)

Daird

Warlord
What's the best moment you've ever had playing any game? Doesn't have to be some badass heroism; feel free to express your epic fails as well.

For me, it was NCAA Football 2010. I'm a diehard Penn State fan, so I started a Dynasty Mode. Things were going great, up until I played Indiana. I'm down 20-10 at the start of the 4th quarter, and a quick touchdown and field goal for the Hoosiers leave me staring down a 30-10 deficit with 4 minutes to go.

A several play drive enables me to score a touchdown, but even the announcers say all it does is prevent me from losing by as big a margin. I get the ball back with a minute to go, say "Screw it, I'm gonna lose anyway", and chuck the deep ball. Touchdown! 46 seconds left, but I'm only down 6 and still have all my timeouts.

After failing on the onside kick, I stuff three run plays and get the ball back. 26 seconds left, ball at my 20, no timeouts. I call a deep outs pattern, and one of my receivers sneaks by the secondary. It's just pitch and catch from there. Touchdown, extra point, and a 31-30 win that I still can't believe I was able to pull off.

A friend and I were playing the disaster that was Dead Island. From the first minute it was barely playable and I had to play it 100% muted because there was a loud grinding noise that overpowered everything else. Regardless, we didn't have anything else to play at the time so we powered through it.

We get to a part where you have to drive a jeep (well, you don't have to...) around narrow roads in the jungle. I'm driving while he's in the passenger seat and we see one of the big guys in front of us so I decide to run it over. As I do this, the jeep hits a rock and awkwardly hits the zombie, throwing the jeep down a flight of stairs that leads into a small storage area. We get out of the jeep and it teleports us... in front of the vehicle. The vehicle that is now taking up the staircase.

We simply shrugged our shoulders at this and figured there was another way out, so we began exploring. There was no other way to escape. We spent a good twenty minutes trying to blow up the jeep or at least push it out before giving up, and my friend was seriously contemplating just not playing the game ever again since there's no way to suicide or anything like that. Meanwhile, I was laughing my ass off as I thought of ways to escape.

It took about an hour and a half, but I finally glitched my way onto the roof of the storage building and parkour'd my way onto some rocks until I got back to the road. I then entered a new region so he wouldn't have to go through the process too since it was really hard to accomplish.

One of the funniest moments in a game I've had. It was the sole redeeming experience of that game.

I suppose it would have to be pretty early so as to make an impression, so either from some Amiga game or before that, in my old Amstrad cpc6128.

Amstrad: Beethoven's "Moonlight soanata" playing in the copy i had of Jet Set Willy. It lured me in and created a great atmosphere.

Amiga: Amiga was just 1000 years ahead from anything else at the time, particularly Amstrad. I still recall all of the three first games i had. The very first was Rodland, some sort of bubble-bobble styled platformer beat'em up. Centurion was my first strategy game :)

Overall most memorable moment? Maybe during Another World (on the Amiga), or Cruise for a Corpse (another classic Delphine game).

I think probably my proudest moment in gaming came in team fortress classic. It was in a clan game and i was playing as a scout. Each game was for 30 minutes. I was as quick and nimble as they came. I captured hundreds of control points and killed numerous enemies, despite me being a lowly and weak scout. At the end of the match, we won, and at the top of the tree was me. My stats read thus:

Kills - 76
Deaths - 0

At the end our opponents all congratulated me on a job well done. Even the administrator said he had never seen anything like it before. I thought i was just lucky, but it definitely ranks as my best gaming moment.

Most probably the first time I played the Planescape : Torment's ending.
This was just one of the most moving, unforgettable piece of gaming ever done.

Obtaining two World Records that I didn't record on a shooting game.

It was one of the first times playing Morrowind. I was in the top of the mountains, then night came down with this impressive star-filled sky and i saw the silhouette of some cliff racers flying against the remaining crepuscular light westward far over the horizon. I think it was the last time i said "wow!" while playing a videogame.

EU4 multiplayer where I was Litvonian Order where I dismantled HRE by convincing Brandenburg and Bohemia to leave Austria because of Austria's incompetence. Later in that same game I allied with Bradenburg and Austria and we had a coalition war/crusade against Ottoman, with help of players Russia, England, Milan, France, Spain.

It was one of the first times playing Morrowind. I was in the top of the mountains, then night came down with this impressive star-filled sky and i saw the silhouette of some cliff racers flying against the remaining crepuscular light westward far over the horizon. I think it was the last time i said "wow!" while playing a videogame.

I'd have to say I might answer the same thing as you. The night sky in Morrowind really grabbed me when I first played the game. Even 50 hours in I'd still stare at the sky and the moon all the time. When I think back of playing Morrowind, my most prevalent memory is pretty much that. Nothing had compared to this prior, it really felt like suddenly we were getting into some pretty epic looking games.

Well, I have other moments, but I wanted to underline that one.

And lets not forget the music which contributed a lot to the whole experience. Morrowind soundtrack is among the best and most atmospheric music ever in any videogame IMO.

EDIT: Along with Severance/Blade of Darkness BTW...

For me it was the first time playing pokemon firered when I finally beat the champion. It made my eight year old self feel so great.

For me it was the first time playing pokemon firered when I finally beat the champion. It made my eight year old self feel so great.

Same here, but with Pokemon Red, and then Pokemon Crystal again.

I just played a game of The Resistance a couple nights ago where I managed to become a good guy as a traitor by helping pass the second mission, and then I proceeded to destroy the next 3 and win the game without drawing too much suspicion. A lot of my other great moments came in the Battlestar Galactica boardgame with awesome reveals.

If we are talking about video games, probably beating Crono Trigger for the first time back in the 90s. As a kid, I always got close to the final dungeon but I never finished the game. I would always be doing side-quests, preparing for the final journey, trying for 100% completion, but I would never take the last step. So when I finally got around to finishing off Lavos, and actually saw the ending to a RPG that I dearly loved, it was a sweet moment.

One of mine would have to have been on one of my friend's Feed The Beast: Unleashed minecraft server (Feed The Beast is a massive Modpack that contains, among others, Twilight Forest, Mystcraft, Industrialcraft II, Thaumcraft, Buildcraft, Thermal Expansion and Forestry).

Basically I finished building a massive Mesoamerican-themed base around a vanilla Jungle Temple I found during my initial exploration, had already been to the Nether and gathered up stuff I needed there, and had finally been able to finish my custom Modular Powersuit (Modular Powersuits basically lets you build your own customizable Iron Man armor in Minecraft), with diamond plating on all parts, Long-Fall boots from the Portal Gun mod (unbreakable, same armor as Diamond, and negate all fall damage), Jet pack/glider wings on the Power Suit torso, and a heavily upgraded power fist with Railgun & field tinker module (let me turn the jet pack on and off whenever I wanted to, among other things), and full-out walk/sprint assist on the power suit legs (lets you walk at 2x normal walking speed, and run as fast as a fully-powered minecart).

Well, once I got the power suit done, and built a bunch of Thermal Expansion and IC2 machines, I felt ready to make a Twilight portal and venture into the awesome, but highly dangerous, Twilight Forest realm. When I created the portal and jumped through it, it looked like the game froze because it took about 5 minutes for the Twilight Forest to load, which never happened to me before. Just as I was wondering why that was, the map finished loading and I found out why: My twilight portal came right out in the middle of a Naga Courtyard, which is a boss arena in the twilight forest housing a rather nasty serpent boss.

As soon as the Naga lunged at me (it's roughly on par with the Ender Dragon in terms of attack damage and hit points), I dodged to the side and activated my rail gun, and started blasting away. Less than 3 minutes later, the Naga was dead, and the courtyard was mine to claim! As an added bonus, said Naga Courtyard had a Thaumcraft Barrow Hill at the Western edge, which makes for a handy Experience farm, and I was able to use my Twilight portal to bring some of the Twilight Forest's herdable animals back to my Overworld base.

Unfortunately, after I built a nice Mayan-style palace in the Naga Courtyard, my friend's server crashed, and he never bothered bringing it back again, so all my hard work was lost. :(

I have screenshots on my Flickr account if anyone wants proof. ;)

Playing the original Halo on my X-box; I forget which level, but I was making my way through a corridor, which exited to my left, and the only thing I remember ('cuz it was years ago), was shooting at a banshee, and it exploded as it crash landed coming straight at me, making me walk backwards back into the corridor, and it followed me into it, so I sidestepped and it crashed, on fire, into the wall, IIRC. It looked so much like it could've been straight out of a preview teaser trailer. :lol:

In Hearts of Iron 2, the AI sometimes creates giant stacks of doom that make the ones in Civ3 look like a joke. I remember the British parking 150+ divisions into Hong Kong, with an equal number of Japanese divisions across the strait.

The best one ever was when America packed 400~ divisions in Saigon (their only captured province in Vietnam; I was the USSR and had steamrolled over Japanese-occupied China) and I nuked their army, wiping out 90% of their army in one swoop.

COD Black Ops, S&D Firing Range, tied 3-3 in dieing second, I was last man standing and planted the bomb while prone and the last guy walked up in front of me and shot me but I panic placed a claymore right after planting and killed him instantly after he killed me, winning the game.

Lobby went wild. Probably was funnier to watch than it is being described, but it was up there for all time moments on a shooter game.

Operation Flashpoint, breaking out a Russian POW camp, stealing a helicopter that just landed and flying out of there only to run into mobile AA that wrecked my heli and either crash-landed or parachuted out, can't remember....either way my legs were broken as a result and I had to crawl several in game kilometers back to the nearest US base while dodging Russian patrols with disgustingly good-sighted AI. I made it and felt for the only time like one of those Special Forces badasses who survive and write a book about it.

Yeah! OFP (and Arma 1,2 and 3 of course, which are really good sequels) has given me some great moments too. You have this felling of continuous danger being alone behind enemy lines knowing that at any time a single bullet coming from anywhere could terminate you...

Also the randomness of some battles where most of the time you dont have very clear what is going on, or where the enemy exactly is, hearing shots everywhere and explosions and seeing smoking columns... It is like being in a war documentary.

Top Bottom