Grecko-Persian Wars

rhettrongun

Prince
---LATEST UPDATE---
Version count is reset to 1. I corrected the spelling... The scenario has basically been updated to support play with the current build of Civ5. I made various other adjustments as well, but they aren't worth detailing. I doubt anyone remembers the 2012 version of this scenario.
I have not playtested every civ. In fact, I've only tested out Persia. Persia works perfect, and it's by far the most memory intensive faction in the scenario. All other civs worked fine in the previous version. With that said, let me know about any problems found with them.
If you have an older version of the map, be sure to select the one that comes up with the suffix in the selection menu.

Known Issues
-There is a bug where all conquered cities are automatically annexed without a hit to happiness. When you save->reload the happiness hit goes into effect. My advice is to work around this by saving->reloading the game after the first turn or so before any cities are captured.

GRECO-PERSIAN WARS

The civs are as follows:
Athens/Paricles
Sparta/Leonidas
Persia/Xerxes
Egypt
Indus River India/Porus
Arab Nomads (Probably almost impossible to even survive very long with)
Massagetai/Tomyris
Turkish Nomads
Deep India/Asoka

The target historical time frame is around 490 BC, though the scenario is set to start at 500 BC. If played all the way out it should be about 437 BC or so (assuming it works correctly). Overall this updated version is far improved over the initial download I submitted a couple days ago.

Research is slower than normal (~100% more costly on avg) & great scientists have had their free tech ability removed. Libraries/Paper Makers/Universities provide a small amount of culture now.
Many techs have been made overwhelmingly costly. This should effectively end the tech tree early in the Renaissance era.

As for wonders, all civs have their historical wonders plus:
Athens has stonehedge
Sparta has the great wall
Indus River India has Manchu Pichu

Oxford University, The Porcelain Tower, Himeji Castle, and the Kremlin are all removed from the game. The Great Library has been changed so that it no longer gives a free tech. It has higher culture and great scientist points to make for this.

To keep unhappiness from getting out of hand colosseums/theatres have been bumped up by 1 each in terms of happiness provided. Barracks provide +1 happiness, and the unhappiness added from #cities is reduced slightly. Natural wonders are also placed at various spots on the map to help with happiness as well.

Attachments

• 2011-07-16_00004.jpg
    2011-07-16_00004.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 2,337
  • 2011-07-16_00006.jpg
    2011-07-16_00006.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 1,718
  • 2011-07-16_00008.jpg
    2011-07-16_00008.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 1,485
  • 2015-06-21_00001.jpg
    2015-06-21_00001.jpg
    459.3 KB · Views: 823
  • Greco-Persian Wars (v1).zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 624
is this on the in game downloader?

Yes, It's probably buried by now though. The easiest way to find it is by selecting scenarios, or ancient scenarios to be even more specific. It's also attached at the bottom of the OP.

okey. how i fix the problem with choosing civs?

Lovely scenario and that .lua file patch worked fine for me. It also seemed to improve my graphics, which had deteriorated in some mysterious way a couple of patches back. I run Civ5 in a Windows 7 partition under Parallels on an iMac, so must execute using DirectX 9. I have been told DirectX 10/11 need native graphics driver access which cannot be done in the partition, but I am not a techie so not sure if that is correct - all I know is I cannot execute 10/11.

Anyway, very creative and interesting mod.

I must be stupid or something, but I don't get this mod to work. I have downloaded it, put the folder in MODS folder, enabled it in the mod browser, but I can't find any special scenario map or some way to play the scenario when I go to Setup game in the mod section single player area.

Gurra09 ... move a copy of the map (GreecePersianWorld.civ5Map) to the Maps folder up at the same level of the MODS folder within the Sid Meier's Civization 5 folder. I don't know why this is sometimes necessary to do manually and other times it is not after one unzips a mod folder.

Playing this scenario as one of the minor civs is incredibly challenging, even at the Prince level. Try playing Arabia, for example. Within about 50-60 turns, maybe sooner, you'll have an unstoppable Persian army all over you, not to mention the raging desert barbs. Right now I am playing the western most of the two Indias and that's also very tough. The problem is that the two Greece powers and Egypt seem to quickly make peace with Persia so you are left playing a minor civ alone against that powerhouse and eventually he falls on you with dozens of units. I am not sure those minor civs are playable, but they are great for practicing defensive tactics.

There are quite a few spelling typos to correct ... Pericles, Damascus, etc. ... but it's a great map layout. If only Civ5 would permit keeping everyone at war with Persia.

Playing this scenario as one of the minor civs is incredibly challenging, even at the Prince level. Try playing Arabia, for example. Within about 50-60 turns, maybe sooner, you'll have an unstoppable Persian army all over you, not to mention the raging desert barbs. Right now I am playing the western most of the two Indias and that's also very tough. The problem is that the two Greece powers and Egypt seem to quickly make peace with Persia so you are left playing a minor civ alone against that powerhouse and eventually he falls on you with dozens of units. I am not sure those minor civs are playable, but they are great for practicing defensive tactics.

There are quite a few spelling typos to correct ... Pericles, Damascus, etc. ... but it's a great map layout. If only Civ5 would permit keeping everyone at war with Persia.

Thanks for the feedback first off.

As for the issue you bring up, I could have swore that I made Persia permanently at war with everyone in 1 of the last updates I did for this scenario. Do you have version 5?

I know the permanent war feature was definitely broken in older Civ 5 versions, but this was something that was fixed in either the last major patch or the one before that even. I hope Firaxis hasn't managed to make this a broken feature again in their hotfix.

I'm thinking you probably have been playing an old version of the scenario. A quick check revealed the permanent war is working as far as 16 turns into the game. The old bugged version would have allowed peace after turn 7.

I also boosted the strength of all of the lesser factions and corrected some of the more glaring typos in my last update. I'm not sure if it is possible to win as 1 of them, but there should at least be more of a chance than before. My guess is that playing as 1 of the India groups, or perhaps the Turks gives the best chance to annoy Persia.

I am now playing version 5 and have gotten fairly far along playing the India-Porus side without anyone's making peace with Persia (I think). What happens though is that the two Greek sides and Egypt all declare war on each other and hence become so distracted that they do not put any pressure on Persia from the west. I don't think there is anything you can do about that.

With the Turks you can take a city or two and Persia does not seem to mount a major counter, but there is a serious gold problem I have not yet worked out how to overcome. Will go back and try that again.

Arabia is fun to play, bit perhaps impossible to hold the line against the inevitable counterattack. I am going to try it again and build more early units and see if Damascus can be rushed. I did figure out you have to trade for some iron right away and upgrade the warriors. The only local source is a 2-iron way out in the desert and it takes too long to develop it and the raging barbs (which in general is a good thing in this scenario) make it pretty tough.

Playing India-Porus seems to be a good challenge and decent balance. I have managed to take Persia's two nearest cities (Poura and one other) and so far am dealing with their counters. Getting the two additional iron near Poura helps.

Good scenario!

Glad to see that.
I noticed the same thing when I did my 16 turn test run the other day, as I was playing the Turks. The gold problem can be dealt with by trading the extra fur they start with for 7 GPT to someone. Even then I was still losing a small amount, but the 25 gold each time from sacking barbarian encampments more than made up for the small loss.

How did you do it that the time does not proceed in 50 years steps??

Have you made a mod for that? If you did, can you post that one without anything else?? Would be really glad :)

I made an update to the standard game speed located under the <GameSpeeds> xml section. There is a months/turn line that can be modified. I noticed there are even Calendars the game has in the database that allow you to mess with things at the week level. I couldn't quite figure that out though.

It's a very small mod and wouldn't take long, so I can post it easily. The only problem is that I don't know what you would want the month progression to be set at.

If you want to try it yourself here is the xml data:

<GameData>
<GameSpeed_Turns>
<Update>
<Set MonthIncrement="3"/>
<Where GameSpeedType="GAMESPEED_STANDARD"/>
</Update>
</GameSpeed_Turns>
</GameData>

The section necessary for the month progression can then be adjusted to whatever you might have in mind. I went with quarters for the Grecko scenario.

A note on playing as 1 of the 3 new civs:

The game won't allow them to be selected without some extra effort on your part for some reason. To play as one you will have to start a game, then exit to main menu, and then reload the scenario as the new civ you want to use.
If this doesn't work, keep shuffling in and out from the game setup to the main menu until you find something that works.

i went to load the game but there wasnt a specific map ?

It looks like this is a very common problem with playing downloaded maps. This is posted a short ways up in the thread:

Gurra09 ... move a copy of the map (GreecePersianWorld.civ5Map) to the Maps folder up at the same level of the MODS folder within the Sid Meier's Civization 5 folder. I don't know why this is sometimes necessary to do manually and other times it is not after one unzips a mod folder.

To fix the map not showing up for people, go into ur mod properties in ModBuddy On the content tab you will create an entry.

Type, Name, & Description are all variables which can be w/e you like. Filename is the path for your map in this case Maps/GreecePersianWorld.Civ5Map. After doing that everyone whom downloads your mod should see the map in the list as the "Name" variable. hope that helps :D

Nice looking scenario btw

Thanks a lot! No wonder people kept asking about the map not showing up. I somehow managed to never learn that part of publishing a mod I guess.

Top Bottom