Greece First Look (Pericles) Video

- And that is why Freddie also gets bonus against city states. I think they are pretty equal in strength.

- Greece and Germany will not be friends. Barbarossa does not like Civs that interact with city-states.

- Greece led by Pericles is strong with great people, culture and city-states.

I think the big difference is that Frederick will want to use his bonuses to conquer city-states whereas Pericles will use his bonus to befriend city-states.

I like it. Definitely the "Culture/Government" Civ.

I think the Hoplite definitely affects game play. It's a normal spearmen by itself but as long as it's stacked up it's basically a swordsman unit in the ancient era. You will always be thinking about making sure you're moving them together and thinking ahead to make sure your opponent can't scalpel out the middle one or something. Definitely more than just stat bonus that affects gameplay.

I like the other bonuses because they're really flexible. You can basically go towards any time of game with the extra wildcard slot and lots of culture bonuses.

Wait, no GP bonus for Greece under Pericles? :confused:

In any case, Greece seems somewhat bland to me, but certainly a strong, easy to play, culture-focused Civ.

Well, this civ looks BORING. I'm usually not this emphatic but I can't hide it: the Hoplite is bland, the Acropolis is another "get extra yield" thing and the LUA seem generic. Even Pericles sounds tired.
I'm not saying Greece is weak or overpowered. I'm just saying it could benefit from a little more personality.

Acropolis getting bonuses from other districts, especially city center and requires hills. This means unique city planning, which is good.

Extra Wildcard slot is very interesting, actually. It gives flexibility and you can make some unique combinations of policy cards.

Btw Hoplite gets +10 strength when next to another Hoplite. That is very strong ability.

Yes, I would say so. A wild card slot is more flexible since it can be any card.

I don't think that's true. I think "Wildcard" is a specific type of policy, which applies to great people generation. It also appears from the information out so far that Wildcard policies are only available a few policies down the tree, but military policies are available almost immediately. So one's not strictly superior: Germany's would be available earlier and would help with production / unit XP, while Greece can generate extra GPP.

Could Sparta be its own stand alone civilization as opposed to an extra leader?

If Pericles civ was named 'Athens' yes, but I cannot imagine separatr civs of 'Greece' and 'Sparta'.

Also yeah I probably won't play this civ much,as their bonuses seem fairly boring and on top of that I'm not interested in ancient Greece at all.

Wait, no GP bonus for Greece under Pericles? :confused:

In any case, Greece seems somewhat bland to me, but certainly a strong, easy to play, culture-focused Civ.

That extra Wildcard slot can be leveraged for Great People.

I don't think that's true. I think "Wildcard" is a specific type of policy, which applies to great people generation. It also appears from the information out so far that Wildcard policies are only available a few policies down the tree, but military policies are available almost immediately. So one's not strictly superior: Germany's would be available earlier and would help with production / unit XP, while Greece can generate extra GPP.

No, it has been confirmed that you can put any card in a wild card slot. So a wild card slot can have a wild card, a military card, an economic card or a diplomatic card.

I agree, especially compared to how unique some of the recent revealed civilizations have been (Norway, Kongo, India), Greece seems very tame. It's good to have another Culture-focused Civ, however. But we really need to see some Science civs!

yup, exactly what i said as well in my previous post.

It's not bad. Actually it even sounds pretty strong. But there's no originality in the civ mechanics. You'd play it like a civ that doesnt have any bonuses but just do better.

All things considered, it might what they were going for. Greece as a entry civ wth which you cant do anything wrong.

Would make sense though it seems boring for us civfanatics

Could Sparta be its own stand alone civilization as opposed to an extra leader?

With the civ named "Greece" it's very unlikely. More likely Gorgo will have her own announce in the end. She seem to be planned as a surprise.

You can put any card to wild card slot as you can see from the video. So wildcard slot is simply better.

I hope will see a Gorgo + Persia + Second Invasion of Greece scenario pack as DLC, in terms of content it’s kind of close to the Civilization + Scenario Pack from Civ 5 DLCs.

With the civ named "Greece" it's very unlikely. More likely Gorgo will have her own announce in the end. She seem to be planned as a surprise.

I still think this is right, but the (non-Leader) abilities of this Greece are so heavily Culture-focused, it'll be interesting to see what they can do with Gorgo's ability. Presumably she would be militaristic?

I still think this is right, but the (non-Leader) abilities of this Greece are so heavily Culture-focused, it'll be interesting to see what they can do with Gorgo's ability. Presumably she would be militaristic?

Clearly, Gorgo brings the trireme UU :lol:

This is the first Civ to really make me go ... ooo I want to play that

My, my, Pericles has gone and done quite some ageing since Civ4 times! Well, only natural, I guess...

Anyway, I just hope there will be enough hills for all those Acropolises :)

Top Bottom