Greece First Look (Pericles) Video

That extra Wildcard slot can be leveraged for Great People.

Or extra production for military units.:undecide:

I was hoping from something more unique. From the top of my head:

-Delian League: Extra Great People Points for each allied city-state.
-The Age of Pericles: Extra GP points during golden ages.

Still, a straight-forward culture-focus Civ that I will most certainly enjoy playing.

A fairly large boost to culture for every vassal does seem quite strong given that the culture tree is essentially another tech tree, though that largely depends on how easy it is to acquire multiple city-state alliances. Seems like it's the kind of thing that other Civs could easily block or negate if they really wanted to.

In civilization.com's blogpost they refer to the historic acropolis being fortified position and having defensive bonuses, I wonder if units on it get some defensive bonus but it wasn't mentioned in the video..

....fortified settlement built upon a hill or higher ground. The hilltop location provides strong defensive capabilities..

I'm really liking this iteration of Greece (despised them in Civ V!) and I'm super happy to see Pericles return. I love the focus on culture and city-states as well as that extra wild card policy. It all fits together thematically and in terms of gameplay seems to lend itself to my play style to a T. The Acropolis district is just icing on the cake. :D

So many civs I want to choose for that first game... :cry:

In civilization.com's blogpost they refer to the historic acropolis being fortified position and having defensive bonuses, I wonder if units on it get some defensive bonus but it wasn't mentioned in the video..

....fortified settlement built upon a hill or higher ground. The hilltop location provides strong defensive capabilities..

Well, considering you'll build them on hills, you'll get the natural modifiers from those. :goodjob:

I really think Gorgo/Sparta is a scenario-only civilization. It could be something like a Peloponnesian War Scenario where you will be able to choose between Pericles and Gorgo.

Pericles is very frequently represented wearing a helmet to signify his status as a general. Dunno if the actual guy would've worn it when doing his oratory, but it's very iconic.

Yeah but it is weird to have on top of his head all the time anyway. While wearing civilian clothes.

Nice beard though. Greeks are known for their generous body hair, so I expected to see some hair on those arms. But just a minor detail.

I really think Gorgo/Sparta is a scenario-only civilization. It would be something like a Peloponnesian War Scenario where you will be able to choose between Pericles and Gorgo.

It's possible of course, but it'd be weird to include her in the Civilopedia then. And all the other hints to multiple leaders for Civs...

I really think Gorgo/Sparta is a scenario-only civilization. It would be something like a Peloponnesian War Scenario where you will be able to choose between Pericles and Gorgo.

They aint gonna pay the art team a week's worth of salary just to use their fruits in only some dumb scenario.

There's no reason to put scenario leader in civilopedia or leaderboard.

Ehhhhmmmm not too much of a fan of this Greece's version, to be honest. Is not underpowered by any means, but its bonuses are a tad too bland for my tastes. Anyway, let's get into the meat of their design:

UA: 1 extra wild card slot regardless of government

Undoubtely powerful, even more than Barbarossa's UA considering that they are only two goverments with more than one wildcard slot, and that both are very late game (Democracy and Fascism).

UU: Hoplite unique unit that gets bonus for adjacent hoplites.

Big fat meh for me. Also, if this bonuses only applies to hoplite units rather than "units with the hoplite promotion", that would mean an extremely narrow window of utility.

Unique District: Acropolis. Replaces theater district, gives extra culture, especially when adjacent to city center. Must be built on hill

Another pretty bland design. Little room for min-maxing, no unique city district project... turboMEH.

Leader UA: Bonus culture from being a suzerain to a city state

Well, since this is a percenteage based bonus rather than flat, this could end up being truthly powerful, and it would force Greece to play more towards the diplomatic game. I like this one! Still, I am a little disappointed to see how Greece has no science bonus or whatsoever, but well, that's life.

I like strong bonuses that still make you work or plan to maximize the affect, so I think this is perfect. The bonus for city states is very powerful (+5% of your CIV culture output for each Suzerain) but only if you are successful at working the city states (versus civ 5 which made it too easy for Greece to dominate city states IMHO making easier to work the city states in the first place).

The Hoplite bonus is powerful, but again you have to use the Hoplites properly to get a +10 bonus (powerful).

The Acropolis District (hoping is powerful - haven't seen the bonus yet) is still challenged by having to place it on a hill and the extra bonus is on a hill next to a city center. Again city planning should be fun.

The wildcard bonus is great, I hope that means it starts from chiefdom, so you can pick and choose strategies early on. The extra culture has synergies with the extra gov't policies as culture will drive acquiring new policies.

I am looking forward to this, Greece is my favorite so far.

No, it has been confirmed that you can put any card in a wild card slot. So a wild card slot can have a wild card, a military card, an economic card or a diplomatic card.

The video itself shows the player using non-purple cards for wildcard (which I hadn't realized myself could be done)

The wildcard is very interesting, especially early because it allow Greece to run combinations of Cards no other civ can and especially run great people cards before other civs can.

The acropolis do have a negative, they need a hill which tend to be rather good for production but in return it may be a significant improvment over the theater district which have amongst the worst adjacency (but then they do have great works).

The Hoplite gets stronger and stronger the more you have of them, however as a ancient unit they do not get any great general bonus. Naturally this unit can be used to build a large empire early on.

The extra culture from city states is very nice and given that better governments mean more influence with cs states Greece synergy is very strong.

Btw Hoplite gets +10 strength when next to another Hoplite. That is very strong ability.

Yup, the narrator got it all wrong claiming that "the hoplite will give you the power you need to defend your territory from early aggressive civs". Well, it's good for defense too, but if you already have an army that strong :satan:

Big fat meh for me. Also, if this bonuses only applies to hoplite units rather than "units with the hoplite promotion", that would mean an extremely narrow window of utility.

It's +10, which is very strong (although the bonuses don't stack for 2 adjacent Hoplites). It immediately turns fight against regular Spearman into Major Victory.

Another pretty bland design. Little room for min-maxing, no unique city district project... turboMEH.

It alters city planning significantly.

(versus civ 5 which made it too easy for Greece to dominate city states IMHO making easier to work the city states in the first place).

Well, Pericles' bonus culture shoots you up the civic tree faster, which awards envoys. So there is some synergy there still.

Top Bottom