Greece First Look (Pericles) Video

The video itself shows the player using non-purple cards for wildcard (which I hadn't realized myself could be done)

This is possibly something that gets lost in translation, but the very definition of a "wildcard" is a card that can be played as any suit or number, so it's only natural that you can play any sort of card in the wildcard slot.

They aint gonna pay the art team a week's worth of salary just to use their fruits in only some dumb scenario.

What art? we haven't seen any art yet. What if no animation is ever done for this, only a static model for the scenario, or not even that?

An entry in a Beta mode civilopedia means nothing to me. If Gorgo's theory of being a DLC is the right one, why was not Jadwiga also there?

Everything we haven't seen is speculation. We've seen leaders in past Civ games that are only playable through scenarios, with no art whatsoever.

I don't like the idea of multiple leaders if only 1 Civ is going to get it in the vanilla game. Unless they start puting them after DLC or expansions.

The interesting thing with Greece is that IF they get extra wildcard already with Chiefdom they can get great people before anyone else. This is because you get wild card policies before Political philosophy, which has first governments that have wild card slots.

Hoplite should get bonuses from all adjacent hoplites so if you have one hoplite adjacent to 4 hoplites (which is simply two behind and one at each side) you will have a 45 strength unit in the ancient era. With the hoplites behind you can quickly switch your hoplites allowing wonded to heal while the frontline recive its bonus.

I wonder if this is the Civ the Pete Murray got nerfed? Maybe too much culture when coupled with those Colossal Heads from La Venta.

As for Gorgo leading Sparta rather than Greece, she showed up on the leaderboard before Pericles. If she lead Sparta, she would have been further down the board alphabetically.

The interesting thing with Greece is that IF they get extra wildcard already with Chiefdom they can get great people before anyone else. This is because you get wild card policies before Political philosophy, which has first governments that have wild card slots.

I am thinking that the extra wild card does work with chiefdom since the bonus is for all governments.

if this bonuses only applies to hoplite units rather than "units with the hoplite promotion", that would mean an extremely narrow window of utility.
Yes, that was my reaction, too.

As I am picturing it, this would push you to rush to that tech and quickly turn out a group of hoplites and then use them very aggressively during your window of opportunity... but probably not against city states.

I can imagine a lot of games where the biggest benefit would be blowing barbarians out of the water (assuming they are not in the water).

I don't know... I think this civ was created more to play against, than it was created to play.

What art? we haven't seen any art yet. What if no animation is ever done for this, only a static model for the scenario, or not even that?

An entry in a Beta mode civilopedia means nothing to me. If Gorgo's theory of being a DLC is the right one, why was not Jadwiga also there?

Everything we haven't seen is speculation. We've seen leaders in past Civ games that are only playable through scenarios, with no art whatsoever.

I don't like the idea of multiple leaders if only 1 Civ is going to get it in the vanilla game. Unless they start puting them after DLC of expansions.

In no iteration of Civilization has the Civiliopedia contained information on a scenario, unless you were actually playing said scenario. Otherwise it would just be confusing.

Gorgo will be a second leader for Greece and will ship with the game on October 21st. Civ VI will have multiple leaders for other civilizations that will most likely come through DLC and expansions. Everything we've seen thus far indicates this.

Nice Greece and cool leader. But I can't be the only one disappointed in the lack of scientific bonuses for Greece. It is one of few most umportant civs for history of science and even the word 'eureka' is theirs. Ehhh...

If they were to be both science and culture focused they would be more similar to china thought

Big fat meh for me. Also, if this bonuses only applies to hoplite units rather than "units with the hoplite promotion", that would mean an extremely narrow window of utility.

What is a "hoplite promotion"? Do you mean a unit upgrade? The hoplite is a unit in the game, not a promotion. The bonus would apply to all hoplite units. I don't see the problem with this. It encourages the Greece player to build their unique unit.

Sorta depends. Going by the civic tree, you won't have any wildcard policies if you beeline political philosophy. You'd need to deliberately branch away to get any of the wildcard (+gpp) policies.

It might mean it's more appealing for Greece to do so, but it's probably not as big of a difference as it may seem at first.

I am thinking that the extra wild card does work with chiefdom since the bonus is for all governments.

Yes, but you will not have Wildcards to put there. So on discovering Code of Laws you'll use the Wildcard slot for either additional Military or Economic card. It's still huge, though.

At 45 strength the hoplite can fight swordmen effectivly and have nothing to fear from mounted units for a long while. It do not need any resources, come pretty early and is cheap to produce and maintain (ancient units only cost one gold per turn).

Yes, but you will not have Wildcards to put there. So on discovering Code of Laws you'll use the Wildcard slot for either additional Military or Economic card. It's still huge, though.

Yes, I meant wild card slot. The slot will be there with Chiefdom, allowing the player to use an extra card earlier in the game. Definitely a strong bonus.

At 45 strength the hoplite can fight swordmen effectivly and have nothing to fear from mounted units for a long while. It do not need any resources, come pretty early and is cheap to produce and maintain (ancient units only cost one gold per turn).

It has 25 base strength, 35 if another Hoplite is nearby. It's still weak against Swordsmen, which have bonus against anti-cavalry units, but could deal with them and just destroys anything else.

Hoplite has base strength of 25. It gets +10 if next other Hoplite and only gets +10 more if its fighting against cavalry units.

Top Bottom