1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

greece is unraveling

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by holy king, May 5, 2010.

1. Lay_Lay

Lay_Lay King

Problem with the Europe thing is, you guys let too many stupid countries into your club. Next time try a smaller alliance with just the cool kids. No dweebs.

2. storealex

storealex In service of peace

Now the same people who didn't pay their taxes riot in the streets, protesting against the system that their own curruption brought down.

When the Greeks realise that you can't have a welfare state, while actively undermining it, I'll be ready to support them. But as long as they're rioting crybabies, I say let them join the third world which they seem to long for, and let's have an EU without them.

3. stormbind

stormbind Retenta personam!

We have that. It's called the United Kingdom :D

4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

:goodjob:

The amount of self-entitlement coming out of Greece makes me sick.

"But we invented civilization! We deserve better than this!" Shut the hell up and pay your taxes :mischief:

5. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

Guess who was right about the idea to create a European fund?
    • DAX (Frankfurt) : +4.20%
    • FTSE100 (London) : +4.25%
    • CAC40 (Paris) : +5.72%
    • S&P Mib (Milan) : +7.68%

6. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

Wow, that's an impressive one-day stock performance that accurately reflects the future of the eurozone.

7. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

That's about as accurate as the collapse of last week.
    It's called speculation. Economists have proven it can only damage the economy as it generates financial bubbles but as banks rule this world governments have no choice than to let them do.

8. Verbose

Verbose Deity

It's been a while since stock exchange rates reflected actual economic performance, at least with accuracy, wouldn't you agree?

What it might reflect is that the jittery herd-animal known as "the investor" today feels less scared than he did yesterday, which was the point of the excercise - some reassuring stroking, whispering sweet nothings into his furry ears, and impressive flexing of muscle to wow him.

Of course, if in a year's time the might look at Greece/Portugal/Ireland/Spain again and decide their economies aren't turning around, or not fast enough, and go into a funk again.

9. The Imp

The Imp Kinslayer

I made a killing today. I had a feeling friday that the Euros would set up some bailout of sorts to deal with the Greek Crisis, along with the other wobbling economies, so I bought some options for AIB, at a discount, turned around and sold them today for a clean 50% profit... I don't know how stuff like that can possibly be allowed to be legal, but i'll take it :)

10. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

Don't worry Eurozone, these two are here to save you!

11. holy king

holy king Deity

the end is nigh.

12. Merkinball

Merkinball Deity

It's still a house of cards...

13. Verbose

Verbose Deity

Hardly. What it is, is a fair-weather sailing design, and it needs serious reinforcing for the course.

14. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

And a crisis was the only way to fix it. It always was.

15. Merkinball

Merkinball Deity

If you say so. But I doubt it. I'd say that this is more analogous to a band-aid on a sucking chest wound. You've got three countries that are very nearly as bad off as Greece, and it's still unclear how Greece will respond to the demands put on them by the IMF and the EU. All this is is Europe trying to back up its currency. I mean, Greece is analogous to the state of Michigan so it's not a terrible loss. But even when you get past Greece the solvency and fiscal standing of Europe is terrible. It's a house of cards resting on borrowed money that it, nor the US, has. And it's going to get worse before it gets better.

16. Gigaz

Gigaz civoholic

The imperial couple will strike hard and expensive against civil unrests in the outskirts of the empire. :eek:

17. Merkinball

Merkinball Deity

The question invariably becomes: How will the imperial couple respond when the chicken comes home to roost?

18. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

like all other elected officials they pray that the chicken will come to haunt their successors :mischief:

19. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I agree. And I like the last line. That should be a U.S. campaign slogan. Shut the hell up and pay your taxes. :goodjob: