Greek Mythology Quiz

Nahuixtelotzin

Huey Tlatoani
1. Who is the mother of Zeus?

2.Which god accidentally kills Hyakinthos with a discus and makes the killed become the plant with the same name?

3. Why and how got Semele killed by Zeus?

4. Name the 12 deeds of Herakles.

5. Oaths among the gods have to be sworn on what and what happens if they break their oath?

6. How are the revenge goddesses, the Erinyai, born?

7. Which semitic gods are said to be the origin of the myth of Adonis and Aphrodite?

8. Which animal is the original form of Artemis?

9. Who gave the milk to Baby-Zeus? (Bonus: Which other god got the same milk?)

10. Which old god is said to be unable to lie? (Bonus: Who took advantage of this?)

Originally posted by Nahuixtelotzin

Rhea.

Hera, as she was jealous of Semele, and Zeus' other mistresses. Hera told Semele to approach Zeus in the same manner that she had, and Zeus took offence at this and burned her to death with the fires of a lighting bolt.

I'm not sure what you're after here, but they were originally considered to be the personifications of the curses put upon guilty criminals.

Funny, this thread appears and now I can't find my book on Greek myths.

3. Semele was a human who saw Zeus in his true form and as humans cannot stand the sight of Gods, she died. She was Dionyus's mother. I think her relatives told her to look, as with Psyche. Or Hera.

1. The Nemean Lion
2.The Lernaean Hydra
3.The Cerynean Hind
4. The Eurymathian Boar
5.The Augean Stables
6.The Stymphalion Birds
7.The Cretan bull.
8. Diomedes' wild mares.
9. The Amazon (Hippolyte) belt.
10. The cattle of Geryon.
11. Apples of Hesperides nymphs.
12. Cerberus.

6.Uranos's blood?

7. Ishtar and Inanna?

8. Wolf? If not that, a bear?

I've got a question as well. Four of the Gods are said to represent the four elements.:
Zeus is fire
Hera is air
Hades is Earth
Who is water?(Funnily enough, it is not Poseidon)

Blackadder: Nestis is the answer, or Persephone, but that mol the same...

1. Correct by Hamlet
3. There's always more than one version I guess. Here's mine: Hera told Semele that ahe should urge Zeus to approach her in his real form. And well, a lightning generally isn't too good, when it strikes...
4. Correct
6. Correct, Uranos' blood
7. Ishtar is right, still there is Adonis to find (1 point for Knight-Dragon)
8. Correct, a bear

Rhea a.k.a. Ops
2.Which god accidentally kills Hyakinthos with a discus and makes the killed become the plant with the same name?
Apollo
Zeus had sworn her any favor. Hera tricked her into asking to see Zeus in his full glory as master of the thuderbolt, which of course a mortal could not survive.
4. Name the 12 deeds of Herakles.
kill Nemean lion, kill Hydra, Captue golden Arcadian stag, Capture Ermanthian boar, dispose of the Styphalian birds, Get the girdle of Hippolyta, clean the Augean stables, capture minoan bull, capture Diomedes' mares, get tGeryon's oxen, get golden Hesperides apple, get Cerberus.
5. Oaths among the gods have to be sworn on what and what happens if they break their oath?
The river Styx
Fron the blood of Uranus, when Chronus maimed him.
7. Which semitic gods are said to be the origin of the myth of Adonis and Aphrodite?
Ishtar (Astarte)(Innini) and Tammuz
8. Which animal is the original form of Artemis?
Bear
9. Who gave the milk to Baby-Zeus? (Bonus: Which other god got the same milk?)
the goat Amalthea, later Dionysus also recieved this milk.
10. Which old god is said to be unable to lie? (Bonus: Who took advantage of this?)
Phobeus Apollo, Phaeton took advantage of a sworn favor, but that does not seem be taking advatage of the truth telling atribute?

Lefty: You got all correct, except for 10. I was thinking about another god at #9, Aigipan, but Dionysos is correct too, I didn't think of it. At #10 I was thinking of another, older god...

Top Bottom