1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Greek Rifleman

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Unit Graphics' started by bernie14, Jul 16, 2012.

1. bernie14

bernie14 Filter Manipulator

here comes the greeks, three varieties, tested in RED (thanks Gedemon!!)blends included

DOWNLOAD

2. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Great ! Glad to see you've got a base to test them ;)

3. Patum333

Patum333 Chieftain

Unbelievable! Bernie you are the Master of skin performance. These units looking so alive. Very BIG compliment :thumbsup:

P.S. Can't wait for more :clap:

4. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

These are great! I really like them!

5. Palaiologos2

Palaiologos2 Prince

Excellent indeed.
    Just a question though. Does the unit appears in game like this? With all three varieties?
    Its just that the guy No1 has a 1850-60s uniform yet dressed in Khaki which was only adopted in the 1910s. The second guy is definetely from the Balkan wars(is that a sword he is carrying? Only officers had those), while the third guy is an evzone light infantry man roughly late 19th century. Since the rifleman represents pre WW1 infantry in Civ I guess the Balkan wars guy can be left out. And if you want to keep things accurate I suggest you recolour the 1850 guy like this(far left):
    http://odimotis.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/greek_army_uniforms_1850s.png

6. Palaiologos2

Palaiologos2 Prince

7. bernie14

not really, these are three variations (skins and gr2s) that can be mixed and matched according to xml or, as more elegantly demonstrated by gedemon, sql changes (see rifleman.sql in RED) so how they are displayed in game depends on how you set that up....you can use only one, or a mix of two or three in varying numbers....

ya got me! :p the first guy is in khaki, i'm :blush: to say because i just was tired of blue coats!!!....well, technically, the change to khaki was 1908-10, still "pre-ww1"....:mischief: but i admit the more "accurate" late 18th century greek rifleman would definitively be wearing blue :) ....the guy with the sword is supposed to be an officer.

the more accurate blue coat skin is attached

perhaps, the evzone and blue coat can be used as the rifleman and khaki one and officer can be used as great war infantry...

Attached Files:

8. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

yes, I was pondering this kind of change. We don't have great war ethnic unit yet, one possibility in R.E.D. would be to change the basic rifleman to Napoleon era musketman and move the rifleman to the position of great war infantry.

that will allow a more visual difference in the musketman -> infantry line will keeping gameplay inaltered...

9. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Is there a tutorial for recoloring dds files? For instance, how did you change the color to blue for the Greek rifleman? What program would I need to do that?

10. Nutty

Nutty Deity

Photoshop and The Gimp (free) support DDS files through plugins, Paint.NET (also free) supports them out-of-the-box. AFAIK, they all have color replacing and rebalancing functions. There isn't a Civ-specific tutorial, but there isn't really anything Civ-specific necessary. You just replace the diff DDS (you won't need to change the sref if it's a straight recolor).

11. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

I can't find an easy way to recolor the dds files. What I want to do is just change the base colors of the uniforms to more green and Khaki colors to better represent WWI infantry. Something so they wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb on the battlefield. :lol: I am sure bernie 14 knows how to do it easily. We'll see.

12. bernie14

it is not difficult, but cant be done with files in dds format.....the secret to easily changing colors is LAYERS.......i use corel PSP, but i beleive that photoshop or gimp will give u the same capability. this is what you do....

take your regular dds file and and save it in a format that allows LAYERS.
    Now copy that layer and paste it as a NEW layer. Erase the areas that you do NOT want to alter.....adjust the color of what is left....
    Conversly, you could select ("rope") that areas you are interested in and copy as new layer..

pictures are worth 100 words, so here you go

this is the greek texture in psd with my layers......

by turning off the olive layer, the blue layer is revealed

to chage the color, select the layer you want to work on, go to your "adjust"....you could adjust your color by changing hue or "colorizing"......you can increase and decreased saturation, lighten and darken.....other useful tools include "add noise" (for texture), soften/blur, sharpen, etc......

I will sometimes copy multiple layers and play with the tools/transparencies....

if a picture is worth 1000 words, the an example is worth a million.....i have attached the "greek_layers.psd" to the end of the post so you can play with it.....if it is not in a format you can use, let me know and i will see if there is a more suitable format :D :D

Attached Files:

13. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Thank you very much for that informative post. I'll give it a try. I saved the layers.psd file. From the screenshots, I see what your doing, is coloring everything seperate and then adding it back together again. It would be nice to be able create WWI German Pickle Haube GW infantry from your German Riflemen. With layers/recoloring it can be done. I'll just have to learn how to do it.

My lights just went out and I lost the rest of this post. Anyway, what I wanted to ask is if you have an Arabian Rifleman kicking around someplace? I could use Persian or Indian I suppose. Let me know.

Is there anywhere template for WWI infantry?

14. bernie14

i could probably post a "quickie" ww1 german type dds, but it will use rifleman anims....

help me choose HERE!!!! SEE post #99

dont know for sure, but danrell's infantry units could probably work as templates, i have a french foreign legion template finished if that would help...

15. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

JTitan was looking for one. I sent him WWI infantry/Four stacker destroyer unit graphics from my CiIV mod. He said he needed a template for the infantry. Maybe your foreign legion one would work. He said something about not being able to get the bone structure to work right.

Also, your rifleman units. What icon are they tagged to for worldbuilder icon? When I add them to my worldbuilder map, they show up with a settler icon. Someone suggested this has something to do with what's in your .fxsxml files. Is that the case? Really this is a small matter, but I was curious.

The more important thing for me is to make sure they show up in Strategic View. I have code for this, which I will add. It is unbelievable the things that have to be dealt with when modding. And I am only just a humble beginner.

A set of WWI infantry could be done with rifle anims. That would be fine by me. I can ask JTitan him about the FFL template you have, see if he can use that.

About post #99. For Arabia rifleman I pick #1. In my mod I added Songhai as the Kabyle Algerian Berber tribes. #5 would make an excellent Berber rifleman for Songhai. Persia would be #4 or #7. #7 looks like an immortal. Babylon #2. Egypt #3, kinda looks like a Mameluke. That would make an interesting musketman. #6 could work for the Mongols or the Huns.

16. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

bernie14 can you post the french foreign legion template? Then I'll send a link to JTitan, so he can download it and try it out. Thank you for offering, and it will be hugely appreciated. :)

17. bernie14

here is the legionnaire template

18. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Thank you bernie14. BTW your riflemen look great in my scenario. They really dress up the map.