Resource icon

Greek World for BtS 3.19 1.1

Krugi

At heart
Latest version: v1.1

Download: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/greek-world-for-bts.25917/

This is a faithful port of the Greek World scenario, written by Rhye, that came with the original Civ4. The most intrusive change I have made was to grant Babylon, the Celts and Phoenicia, which were not present in vanilla, access to both of their uniques.

In addition to Rome, Macedon and Achaemenid Persia, you can also play as any of the larger civilizations, i.e. Phoenicia, the Greek Cities, Babylon, Egypt, India, Judea and Parthia. The last of these is special due to not spawning regularly in 600 BC -- they will be given a few units somewhere west of the Caspian sea, if and only if you select them.

Aside from making the Parthians playable, v1.1 also fixes the Worldbuilder segfault as well as an issue with Parthia, and enables custom assets by default (so you can run this with e.g. Blue Marble installed).

With the most current version of the scenario, the MD5 hash of the zip archive should come out as
1c:02:bc:73:3f:01:5c:d7:6a:e5:cc:5e:fe:67:3c:55.

Unresolved Issues:
  • Civilizations may sometimes acquire or build settlers in spite of UNITCLASS_SETTLER being set to NONE for them.

Last edited:
Nice work! :thumbsup:
Many classical history mods focus so much on adding units, buildings, and techs, but doesn't care enough about historicity as GW does.

I love this scenerio though seems like the Phoencians bug the map. Only half the cities and roads are there when you check on it in worldbuilder

I'm attaching a fix for the Phoenicia bug (Babylon was also broken), the Settler bug and some lesser bugs that cropped up in the debugger:
• Removed goody huts from [34,29] (near Cyrene) and [22,39] (near Ziz), and switched a goody hut in [56,25] (near Larsa) with a city ruin in [56,24]. The one near Cyrene was perhaps harmless since the Greek colonies aren't playable, but it still seems like a bad idea to let a goody hut be consumed while the scenario loads. The other two huts had crashed the game when playing as Phoenicia or Babylon respectively. These issues already exist in the original scenario – except that none of the affected civs are playable.
• The west-east direction of three river segments was set to "north" – only west and east are allowed. I've changed them all to west, which seems like the most logical direction in each case. The segments are north of [16,24], [37,28] and [37,29]. These minor issues are also inherited from the original scenario.
• The XML for disabling settlers wasn't working because comments were placed where the parser can't handle them. (Such problems are pretty unpredictable; best to play it safe with comments, or check with an assert DLL from time to time.) Some of the XML for initial civics had the same problem, and also a few tech prereqs and event triggers – though they may still have been loaded correctly.
• The Odeon was used as the Seleucid and "Greek Cities" replacement for Theater but has the building class Colosseum; this doesn't work. Odeon replaces Colosseum now – which had already been the case for Greece.
• Disabled the Best Defense quest because it references the Great Wall.

The archive includes only the files that I've modified.

Attachments

• GWBTS-bugfixes.zip
    96.8 KB · Views: 53
I had no idea there were so many bugs in it, thank you so much. Im glad you found my other post in the main page for Civ IV modifications. I try to make all civs playable without a minor nation status. I found out the Seleucids and Persians just crash the game so i had to set them back to non playable

You're welcome. In my book, the issue with the comments is a bug in the original game, or at least a major shortcoming – an XML parser should be able to handle comments everywhere. I think I've come across some XML issues every time (well, that would just be a few times) that I've run a non-DLL mod with an Assert or Debug DLL.

I started a greek colony game (made them playable) and made a few edits before i started playing via the world builder. All AI seems to be happening historically, that's good. I just had 3 civs DOW me at once and you know what that means. Pulling out 10 units stacks straight out of their behinds! I cheated a few times and gave myself alot of new units and a few lost cities back. I prefer just doing peaceful things and keeping 3 - 4 unit garrison per city. Which is obviously not enough to win a war.

I gave all Egyptian cities a library because when i played them they were researching very slow. And i gave all greek colonies a market because the last time i played them they were severely short on funds

So the only civ not playable at the beginning are the Seleucids? I think they may be an emerging faction later in the game

So the only civ not playable at the beginning are the Seleucids? I think they may be an emerging faction later in the game
Looks like it; there's e.g. a line
if (iGameTurn == 54) or (iGameTurn == 55): #Seleucia spawn​
under "Macedonian events" in Assets\Python\GreekWorld.py.

I wasn't so sure there even was emerging civs in civ IV. I hardly played much of it to know that. A good steam sale and 5 months later brought me back where i left off in the civ series

I have a nice game going but it appears there's only 140 turns per game. My screen says 99 TURNS LEFT after 40 turns. Will this give me the one... more... turn option or will the game really end after 140 turns? Before i get deeper into my game i'd like to know

There should always be a one more turn option - it's practically hard-coded into the game.

Top Bottom