Greeks Strategy

MorteEterna

Prince
After some games finally I have found my old strategy with greeks that I used for my first 30-40 games if not more, It was near this strategy and I hope this will work for you. This is hard strategy but if you learn that you will never lose.
However, you can change this, perhaps choosing 1 warrior - 1 hoplite, 1 hoplite - 1 warrior, or whatever you want.

Well, start building 2 hoplites to explore, to get gold and free settler. After build a new one and fortify that in your capital (if you want build another hoplite to explore). Now grow to 3 pop and research masonry as fast as possible, after that build 2 hoplites to finish the army and grow to 4; research alphabet and work on 4 forests if possible in Athens to get the library in 5 turns. Now build another city as fast as possible if you haven't done this before, while you research irrigation. Build the new city and you will finish irrigation in 2-3 turns and you will be the first if you follow that. Now when you have your new cities with 3 pop work only on science to get literacy before other players. After that continue your hoplites in new cities (or do that before literacy if you aren't sure). From now you will gain a lot of gold for the surplus of technologies, and remember, never work on gold, only science.
If one is attacking you, you can rush your units fast with your gold (you will have by now about 200 gold maybe, you can use that to build if you want barraks in athens before the library to make yourself sure that they can't rush you (send from athens your veteran hoplites to new cities and send from new cities normal hoplites to have 3 veteran armies). Grow in athens as much as possible but researching with other cities so that won't be a problem. If you have built your barracks in the capital you will have a defence of 36:

+50% veteran
+100% fortification
+100% walls
+50% palace

And in other cities 22,5 (if you need built 2 armies each city or an offensive army, as catapults). Never change government, after libraries build (you will be in the industrial era very fast to get your bonus 1/2 cost of libraries (20) temples, you need those fast to have your culture. Set 1-2 scientists on your best cities, you don't need with your science to research suddenly a tech (if you need you can do that).

You have to follow this tech line if you want to be advanced, you can change this in case something happens that could block you:

Masonry
Alphabet
Irrigation (you can get it fast with your science)
Writing (if you get the free spy you can decide to stay in your capital to defend corthouse and walls)
Literacy (+1 each city become useful with your science)
Mathematics (free catapult to defend yourself in case of attack, if you want sell it)
Navigation (Explore to get the artifacts, best are arch of alliance and atlantis using greeks)
Engeenering (+1 production)
Invention (free great person)
Steam (free cruiser)
Railroads (+2 production)
University (if you want research this before Steam)
Metallurgy
Combustion

Now start producing a lot of tanks while you continue with your technology race, you will have a lot of gold and technologies. However build also univerisities, you need those to get your beakers. By the year 1700-1800 you can have 1600 beakers / turn, remember if you aren't sure to build riflemen if you need, and with your gold you won't have problem if you can defend yourself. If you need build walls also in other cities and other buildis, as acquaducts or harbors. Rush also markets if you want to switch to build tanks.

no, that was just left out. you can research it without pottery, but you're gonna pay the tech jumping penalty (and you're beaker count from the previous turn has to be enough to get those two in less than ten turns for it to show up)

no, that was just left out. you can research it without pottery, but you're gonna pay the tech jumping penalty (and you're beaker count from the previous turn has to be enough to get those two in less than ten turns for it to show up)

Well, really you can't research masonry without pottery, because it's a prereq.

However, I don't remember everything about this strategy, but I can say that if I wrote "masonry" it means pottery then masonry, without skipping too many technologies (when possible, obviously).. Pottery is not a good example, but you should try to get every bonus

I did something different with the greeks. To make a story short I horsed Rush and Currency rushed. I used Athens as a pure growth city(courthouse use all GL and PL) to make Athens a big and powerful city. Used ai Caps as settler farms. Rushed any techs I thought I can get first. Made currency and republic a priorty to get free market and Trade post in a nice sand gold city. Using any gold I have to make my science, gold, and culture production stronger (libraries, banks, temples etc). Democracy and the court house is strong.

Top Bottom