Grenada 1983: Rescued from Rape and Slavery

El_Tigre

Prince
http://www.ep.tc/grenada/

Isn't it sad how often history is distorted into a simple black and white tale? :(
Well, not if it is as hilarious as this piece of crappy propaganda! :lol:

Remember: "THINK! THINK AND STAY FREE!" (from the editorial)

Have a look around, there are more state-issued comics on this website, for example about drugs, nuclear power,...

DISCLAIMER: Note that I'm making fun of the pamphlet, but not of the US invasion itself. I'm looking forward seeing similar examples of blatant and overdone propaganda...

Or tell me about the "history of propaganda" in your state in general. When did it happen, and on what subjects? In your opinion, what propaganda campaign was the most successful? Who was the best propagandist of all times? Which campaigns failed utterly?

:lol: CIA should have looked for some acceptable artist at least.

This should probably have gone into the "Funny Pictures" thread in the Humor & Jokes forum.

Almost as amusing as the duck and cover videos :D

DBear said:
This should probably have gone into the "Funny Pictures" thread in the Humor & Jokes forum.
Sure, if you want to, you can have a quick laugh and then forget the whole thing. But maybe, just maybe, this comic makes some people wonder about the fact that even a modern democracy like the US deems propaganda a necessary political instrument. What does that imply for the importance of propaganda in any political regime?

rmsharpe said:
Yeah, Grenada would have been a paradise under the communists. :rolleyes:
El_Tigre said:
DISCLAIMER: Note that I'm making fun of the pamphlet, but not of the US invasion itself.

Just to make sure that nobody else thinks this is a partisan thread:

Spot the difference!
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Is propaganda an indispensable instrument for non-democratic regimes?
Should propaganda be a legitimate weapon in the arsenal of democracy?

I'm amused by the WWI films depicting a giant ugly gorilla wearing a Prussian infantry helmet. This kind of thing was shown in America, Britain, and Canada.

Trouble was, it backfired and created too much anti-German sentiment, which made it difficult to sign a reasonable peace settlement at the end.

There's no propaganda in it whatsoever. Communism being perhaps the most evil, vile form of government ever devised by man, Grenada was saved from sure torment and oppression. That's fact, given the nature of communism.

El_Tigre said:
Or tell me about the "history of propaganda" in your state in general. When did it happen, and on what subjects? In your opinion, what propaganda campaign was the most successful? Who was the best propagandist of all times? Which campaigns failed utterly?

VRWCAgent said:
There's no propaganda in it whatsoever.

Riiiight... The images are infact correct then?

@Hitro Translation please :p

Reminds me of Dune where Leto comments on how their propoganda corps are the best and thats a significant reason for his popularity.

Microsoft Propaganda...

"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Operating System!"

Attachments

• BILL.JPG
    BILL.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 288
This is the best propaganda poster I've seen so far. Germany 1944. It combines dozens of German anti-American clichés (organized crime, negroes, jews, corruption, the bombing campaign,) into one easy to understand - and quite frightening - image. At the same time, it counters Allied propaganda: The guy with the trumpet ears is holding a poster with the text "USA will save the European culture from going under."

Excellent artwork, too!

Seen it before, quite a good poster. It's in my big old WW2 book (got from a charity shop, no longer published).

My scanner's been unused since I bought the thing months ago, so here's my favourite:

Apologies for scan quality. This poster would've given many in Europe cause for thought. Why fight? If you're reading this poster, odds are you're not in a camp. Wouldn't Stalin's victory be more dangerous than German one?
This was prior to D-Day. A Nazi propaganda poster that manages to make a pretty damn good argument in favour of Nazi victory without even lying- that is a good poster.

El_Tigre said:
This is the best propaganda poster I've seen so far. Germany 1944. It combines dozens of German anti-American clichés (organized crime, negroes, jews, corruption, the bombing campaign,) into one easy to understand - and quite frightening - image. At the same time, it counters Allied propaganda: The guy with the trumpet ears is holding a poster with the text "USA will save the European culture from going under."

Excellent artwork, too!

Its interesting to note the figure is wearing a KKK hood yet so many modern say KKK use Nazi symbols and flags. One would think Nazis would have sympathized with the KKK since they were both anti-semetic, anti-black, and pro-Northern European.

I dont think the nazis were that anti-black. blacks surely were considered as an inferior race but not in the same level as jews or gypsys. In fact there were some blacks in the nazi army and even some ones in the waffen SS IIRC.

VRWCAgent said:
There's no propaganda in it whatsoever. Communism being perhaps the most evil, vile form of government ever devised by man, Grenada was saved from sure torment and oppression. That's fact, given the nature of communism.

The inability to differentiate between fact and opinion you demonstrate is the reason why propaganda is so effective...

Dell19 said:
@Hitro Translation please :p

Since Hitro doesn't seem to have seen it, I'll explain:

Angela Merkel is the new German chancellor.

The above is an election slogan of the SPD (her political opposition).

Merkelsteuer - das wird teuer.
Merkel-tax - that will be expensive

Referring to the proposed increase of the Mehrwertsteuer = VAT

There's another layer to this, a play on words to a popular bonmot:

"Frau am Steuer - das wird teuer"
Woman at the wheel - that will be expensive

about women supposedly being bad drivers.

In one slogan, you've got several related but different slurs against Angela Merkel:
- she's to blame for higher taxes
- she's a woman, so she'll cause a crash at the wheel (of the state)...

Get the picture? A very talented propagandist thought of this one... though it didn't work: she still got elected.

Top Bottom