1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Grigori City names

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Hobelhouse, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Hobelhouse

Hobelhouse Chieftain

Why are they all named after FF7 cities? It's hilarious, but I just wonder why?

2. Neomega

Neomega Deity

never made much sense to me either.

3. phizuol

phizuol Warlord

Try making unique city names for 20 some civs. I imagine that had something to do with it. =)

4. loocas

loocas Prince

I think only Dan Brown can figure out the connection there.

5. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

You mean invent a connection?

(Sorry. Pet peeve of mine.)

6. WCH

WCH Prince

Well, eclectic cultural references are good in a game like this. See all the Monty Python images, or the Lovecraft references... FF7 is a reasonable extension of that principle.

Also, Grigori's distinctiveness is "adventurers," so connecting it to an RPG is as sensible a connection as any.

7. Verdian

Verdian King

I always thought it was connected with the adventurer mechanic. A band of adventures led by a spikey haired hero going out to save the world! Of course, I also tend to promote my adventures so I have a warrior, mage, healer, thief, and ranger... :p

8. Psychic_Llamas

Psychic_Llamas Wizard in the Making

you could also ask 'why are most of the Kuriotate Cities named after Warhammer cities?' :p

its difficult to make up that many city names!

9. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

10. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Deity

The names really surprised me at first because western fantasy geeks, especially those who make full games out of it, tend to despise FF7.

11. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

I didn't even notice that the Grigori city names were from FF7. :lol:

12. Opera

Opera Deity

May I ask why?

13. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

Because FfH2 seems saturated with western fantasy geeks? :mischief:

14. Elyssaen

Elyssaen Chieftain

Final Fantasy 7 is the quintessential jRPG, which is the Japanese's take on what an RPG should be (cf. Realmz, a classic Western RPG). The jRPG is less about open gameplay and actual roleplaying, and more about participating in a pre-written fantasy story.

Fans of Western roleplaying games often take the attitude that the jRPG is something of an abomination that doesn't deserve to call itself an RPG, on the basis that you can rarely influence the story, your characters are written for you, your actions (at least the important ones) are written for you and there's no roleplaying to be had.

I think they're both fun genres, though the aforementioned fans have a point that the jRPG isn't really an RPG – it's more of an interactive fantasy novel.

15. Opera

Opera Deity

Okay, thanks; I never thought about that this way... I like both genres too, so I don't have any issue with FF7 city names in FFH2 ;)

16. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Deity

And FF7 isn't any old JRPG. It's mainstream. It's the center of a fandom that makes places like RPGcodex look reasonable. It's chock full of a lot of the JRPG tropes that many people hate, and you don't need to have played the game to know about them - just listen to the millions who have as they gush about FF7.

If you hate JRPGs in general, you won't find a more convenient scapegoat.

Some people even resent FF7 for opening the floodgates with its popularity, for showing japanese developers that they can make money by shipping their crap across the pacific and letting it loose like so many plague rats. This is total bull of course, since JRPGs have been all over the place since before FF7 (Dragon quest, Lufia, Breath of Fire, wild arms, suikoden... I could go on...) but many of those games are obscure to the kind of people we're talking about.

17. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

Hush! You shall not Name the Name of the Holy Temple of the LORD!

RPGCodex be with you in gaming as the earth, and onto the holy heavens. Amen.

18. JonathanStrange

JonathanStrange PrinceWithA1000Enemies

If you think FFH2 city names are diverse, you should look at the Evermore or Jubilee or Sludgehome city street names - even with a map it's difficult to get from the Planar Gates to the local Holiday Inn.

19. Tielby

Tielby Prince

:rotfl: