Slovakia    2    0  1  1   1   -2

14/6 8:30om Italy v Paraguay - Cape Town 1-1
15/6 1:30pm NZ v Slovakia - Rustenburg 1-1
20/6 8:30pm Slovakia v Paraguay - Mangaung/Bloemfontein 0-2
21/6 1:30pm Italy v NZ - Nelspruit 1-1
24/6 4pm Italy v Slovakia - Johannesburg Ellis Park
24/6 4pm NZ v Paraguay - Polokwane

hmm... this is a tough one.

Italy has good food but certain other aspects of it are obnoxious. New Zealand has Mark Hunt.

I shall root for New Zealand!

Slovaka is decent, but I don't think they are as good as Paraguay. Having said that, they do have some good players, such as Liverpool's Skrtel, and uhh.. actually, that's the only player of theirs I recognize, except for Chelsea's Miroslav Stoch, who does not get to play too much for the Blues..

Italy's team is aging, they will be lacking Pirlo, and they did lose 2-1 to Mexico just a couple days ago, so this group could be up for grabs for any of the teams except NZ.

Italy's central backs looked slow and uncomfortable against Mexico, from what I saw. I actually expect Paraguay to beat them and to draw against Slovakia. But what's clear is that if Cannavaro keeps starting, Buffon is going to have a long tournament (or play even better than in 2006 for them to advance). And why was Rossi not selected for this team?

Slovaka is decent, but I don't think they are as good as Paraguay. Having said that, they do have some good players, such as Liverpool's Skrtel, and uhh.. actually, that's the only player of theirs I recognize, except for Chelsea's Miroslav Stoch, who does not get to play too much for the Blues..

Hamsik is meant to be a very good player but I would agree that Paraguay are favourites to finish second.

Italy topping the group isn't a foregone conclusion as they lost to Mexico and drew with Switzerland which indicates that they may well drop points against at least one of the other teams in the group.

New Zealand hasn't done to bad in its warm up games, We beat Serbia and didn't do to bad in the other 3, held Chile to 0-0 for ages last night.

I know its highly unlikely, but in football surprises can happen. It could happen that New Zealand comes second in the pool. Italy is ranked 5th in the world, Paraguay 31st, Slovakia 34th. Though New Zealand is 78th we beat Serbia who are ranked above Paraguay and Slovakia.

It could happen! and while we still have a chance then im Confident!

I am watching. That was a very nice header from Paraguay on that goal.

1-1 final score. Another snooze fest if you ask me. The level of football in this World Cup is disapointing.

Not very brilliant football but at least they looked like they cared about winning, unlike other teams. This WC has been terrible so far.

Not very brilliant football but at least they looked like they cared about winning, unlike other teams. This WC has been terrible so far.

I agree.

I have Paraguay 1st and Italy 2nd in my bracket. And then Italy getting eliminated by the netherlands in the second round :p

This was the meeting of the best teams (on paper) in the group... it's not bad for us so far.

However: we held the initiative basically because Paraguay was not contending for it. And, we barely shot on goal (has Gilardino even shot once?), just like at the Confederation.
I don't believe we won't pass the group, but in all honesty I have a lot of doubts on the ability of the team to overcome top tier competition.

At least Italy tried and Paraguay used their limited capabilities to the max. Paraguay is also a fit team. Drew only because a keeper-error.
Italy lacked creativity, but I suppose there are some creative players on the bench.
And Italy usually grows in tournaments so don't write them off yet.

Well, to be honest, and though the performance wasn't particularly inspiring, it was better from Italy than what I expected. But I think a revamp in attack is needed. There's very little creativity in the midfield (which a healthy Pirlo might mitigate) and I'm not sure about any of those 3 at the front. It's tellig when Pepe, which isn't much more than a useful workhorse with some stamina, is their best player on the pitch...

Still, since Paraguay is probably the second best team of the group on paper, the road to the 2nd round should be open, but Italy has to perform a bit better to assure 1st place.

Ah, so now it becomes "who can beat up New Zealand and Slovakia by the most."

Top Bottom