1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Groups for Euro 08

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by kalif, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

It's unbelievable how Germany managed to get such an easy group considering the 16 qualified teams. It's almost as if the ranking was already known even before playing:

1- Germany
    2- Croatia
    3- Poland
    4- Austria

About group C, well, it's a mess, a more predictable one considering seedings though. I can already tell you that none of Italy, France, the Netherlands and Romania will win this euro. They will all kill each others while teams like Germany will play friendlies against Austria. I predict no team of Group C to survive the quarter finals.

2. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

I don't think Group B is significantly less tough than A or D. C is a totally different matter, of course, but the other three are quite well distributed.

Take Group D as an example. Sweden is no better than Poland, Spain is no better than Germany, and Greece no better than Croatia (more likely the other way round in that case...). That leaves Austria with the home advantage against Russia who outside of their fake lawn in Moscow got such great results as 0-2 in Israel and a magnificent 1-0 win in Andorra.

I think it's all too common here to underestimate certain Eastern European teams. And to overestimate others. The Czech Republic for example is certainly not better than Croatia or Poland, nevertheless most people in this forum would likely say so. Romania is also underestimated, too bad for them they got the group of death.

As a spontaneous prediction with the status quo of early December 2007 (but figuring in the home advantage) I would say:

Group A:

Switzerland
    Portugal
    Czech Republic
    Turkey

(with the first two and the last two most likely to switch)

Group B:

Germany
    Croatia
    Poland
    Austria

(with Poland unlikely to make it and Austria also only with a true home miracle, but neither is impossible. Croatia is also pretty much as good as Germany)

Group C:

France
    Netherlands
    Italy
    Romania

(but it could really go any way, though Romania winning it is unlikely albeit not even impossible)

Group D:

Spain (to me the clearest favourite for a group win of all)
    Sweden
    Russia
    Greece

(quite a gamble on the last one, of course, in fact I'd say all three have about the same chances to make it behind Spain, but only behind them)

3. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

Underestimating us.... honestly poland hasn't been this strong since maybe '86.

Now to recall poland's world cup moments, '74 when we knocked out Italy :lol: and came 3rd place in a 1-0 win over Brazil. '78 when we knocked out Mexico in a 3-2 win, and in '82 when we came first in group a knocking out both Cameroon and Peru, and came 3rd place in a 3-2 win over France.

Of course we have had a curse over euro cups, which is finally broken, so let's see how we do in our first ever euro :D

4. Quildavyr

Quildavyr Man of sick jokes!

What a lovely group...
    One swiss,one portuguese,one czech and one turkish.Nihahaha!!!

5. dionysos2048

dionysos2048 AntiSarko

So happy we meet Italy again! It'll be intense.
    Great to play Holland and Romania as well as they guarantee quality football games. Surely it'll be more interesting than playing Switzerland, S Korea or Togo as we did last world cup. Anyway only one team will win the competition so it doesn't matter how hard the group stage are. Any team from that group can qualify.
    I've got only one hope: That Domenech shuts his mouth until the games...

6. kryszcztov

kryszcztov Deity

I predict it exactly otherwise. Both France and Italy suffered in their respective groups in 2006, while Germany, Spain and Brazil cruised without any problem. I think that teams having a good chance to win are Germany, Italy, France and the Netherlands. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

7. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

We are doomed. :(

8. El Koeno

El Koeno Emperor

I'd say Czech republic is better than Switzerland, but I haven't seen them play in a while.
    Makes sense.
    Italy doesn't make it? Interesting. As a Dutchman I support you conclusion that we'll make it though. ;) Seriously though, this group is too close to call.
    Group D:

Spain has one of the strongest teams in Europe these days, so yeah they'll make it. Sweden and Russia could be close.

9. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

Certainly not, read my post again. ;)

And I said it's not impossible that Poland can make it, I just consider it not too likely. That is not due to underestimating Poland but due to thinking alot of the current squads of Germany and Croatia. I don't think Poland has comparable quality.

The defense with Bak, Zewlakov and Baczszysnki is decent, but not great.

Most of the creative players in midfield and offense either do play in Germany now or have done so recently so I am quite familiar with most of them and think that - given the direct comparison with most German and some Croatian players - they are good but not as good. Examples are Krzynowek and Smolarek, who are both decent but very inconsistent. Kuba Błaszczykowski, probably the biggest current Polish talent, has been mostly a disappointment at Dortmund so far.
    The one new guy who really managed to shine there this season so far is Mladen Petric - who is a Croat...

And so far of course means it might look different next June, but my prediction was explicitly a current form one. ;)

Also a joint team effort might do alot, but that's not exactly been a strength of Poland recently, just think of the last World Cup.

10. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Well, not the worst possible group. Apart from Spain it is probably ok, and Greece has a chance of going through :)

11. Echse

Echse Warlord

very interesting are also the possibilities in the knockout stage:

Quarter finals:
    QF1: Winner Group A vs. Runner-up Group B
    QF2: Winner Group B vs. Runner-up Group A
    QF3: Winner Group C vs. Runner-up Group D
    QF4: Winner Group D vs. Runner-up Group C

Semi finals:
    Winner QF1 vs. Winner QF2
    Winner QF3 vs. Winner QF4

Italy and France will play twice against each other before loosing the final versus Germany :D

12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Group D is the easiest, IMO.

They have a horrible international record though, especially in big competitions.

13. kalif

kalif am start

nobody in germany will underestimate poland. at least i hope so. we have seen how they topped their group in the qualifiers, and didnt forget the great fight between our teams at wc 06. but like hitro - and i am hoping i dont sound too arrogant - i also dont see the same individual class compared to our team, except boruc of course, who is in my opinion one of the best keepers in the world. but lets wait and see..

i just remebered having a beer with a pole after that wc 06 game, who said with tears in his eyes, that he now needs to wait for another 4 years to reach anything. i told him its probably only 2 years until we see again at euro and they can take vengeance. crap, shouldnt have said that. bad omen...

14. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

Just think of this euro cup qualification...

I agree, our defense is the best, Krynowek and Smolarek are incosistent, Krynowek is a midfielder though.

No, your thinking bout last world cup ;) I say let this Euro decide...

Agreed. They always qualify, but they never go through...

Lately we had great goalkeepers! Dudek, Boruc, and Kuszczak. Fabianski plays for Arsenal, so you know he's good.

:lol:

15. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

Yeah, but then I have to think of the last qualification, too. The one for the World Cup. Poland went through without any hassle. I actually thought they might get decently far. And then they were a massive disappointment. Hence my comment with regards to team effort. Recently Poland has not impressed in that regard, i.e. with regards to getting all that is possible out of the team. Unlike for example Greece during the last EURO or Portugal during the World Cup.

I just think that for a team that has decent but not World Class players overall (just like Greece in 2004) that kind of thing is essential. I doubt Poland will be able to pull it off, but it's not impossible.

16. Marla_Singer

Actually, I just realized that this is not a usual euro with 4 groups, but actually a euro with 2 groups (AB in one side, CD in the other). Indeed, the playoffs are in such a way that the "winner" of groups A and B will meet the "winner" of groups C and D in final.

Germany is guaranteed to not meet any of Italy, France, Netherlands and Spain before the final ! Quite frankly, Germany couldn't have an easier draw than that... even if it had paid for it ! If Germany fails to reach the final, it would be a major failure.

17. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

Is that setting for real? That would mean they excluded the possibility of both hosts reaching the final.

18. Marla_Singer

19. kalif

kalif am start

this system is indeed strange and hasnt been used anytime for aslong as i remember.

but marla, are you already starting some kind of psycho-warfare here?
    whats next, accusing platini was being cheated by franz for adapting this system? ;)

why is everybody talking us into being favorites for this tournament? i see the czechs, portuguese and turks as also capable of going to the final. and not just because they are on the "easier" side of the table. oh well, people are already looking for alibis for the case that germany eventually will reach a title...same procedure as always.

20. ThERat

ThERat Deity

now I know that UEFA is just as dumb as FIFA. Why did they decide to have such strange settings for the Euro. This means that the semis are potentially the same matches as during the group stages. Why wasn't there some mixing between a/b and c/d?

Imagine, Germany would have been pulled out 1 turn later and ended in group C as well and we would have all favourites in c/d. What utter crap :confused:

What I would like to see in future is a real draw of each knock out stage. This way, the playing for certain places in the group would stop. And this should be done for all major tournaments. More fun really