Groups for Euro 08

What I would like to see in future is a real draw of each knock out stage. This way, the playing for certain places in the group would stop. And this should be done for all major tournaments. More fun really

oh come on...have another one of those boring drawing shows? admit, you liked the wiener boys' choir :)

oh come on...have another one of those boring drawing shows? admit, you liked the wiener boys' choir
:lol: yeah right...indeed the show was awful. Well, I should have known better than to expect something with style from our southern neighbours. Their English was also quite atrocious :rolleyes:

I am not talking about a show, but a draw. That can be done in 10 minutes time once all 8 teams have qualified. Directly on the pitch of the last match if needed.

I wouldn't be so sure about Romania "failure"...

Remember Euro 2000, group A: Germany, England, Portugal and Romania.

It was the Hell group on the paper and Romania beats England 3-2 and Germany 3-0.
I really think Romania will be a hell of an opponent.

Are you really sure about the AB - CD thing? it would be very strange!!!

:lol: yeah right...indeed the show was awful. Well, I should have known better than to expect something with style from our southern neighbours. Their English was also quite atrocious :rolleyes:
yeah, we can't do stuff with style, unlike our northern neighbours. just remember that classy WC opening ceremony :lol:

Weird, weird, weird. If both the group survivors win their uqarter finals, they'll meet each other in the semis.... This once more proves that one has to be an imbecile, before one can have a function at the UEFA......

About the group C: LEt's not get too excited. At the last 2 ECs, us Dutchies were always in these so called death groups, but nevertheless survived anyway. And last time, Italy didn't survive a group with a couple of Vikings.

Romania, though a strong team, will not become champions. So basically, Italy, France and Holland will fight for 2 spots. No big deal, still a 2/3 chance. Italy is a slow starter, so I guess we are lucky to meet them first.

yeah, we can't do stuff with style, unlike our northern neighbours. just remember that classy WC opening ceremony
Luckily I didn't see that one, but I could imagine that it was just as awful...I wonder who needs that crap anyway...I mean 40 minutes of . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. . before they start to draw. Platini's idea of getting all the past winners...really exciting :sleep:

edit: Now I remember you are talking about the Lederhosen opening...my goodness, that was real Bavarian culture

edit: Now I remember you are talking about the Lederhosen opening...my goodness, that was real Bavarian culture

indeed I was. You can't get much classier than that :ack: the Kaiser really outdid himself with that one :mischief:

indeed I was. You can't get much classier than that :ack: the Kaiser really outdid himself with that one :mischief:
What about the Wiener boys choir with lederhosen dancers as background... That would be a show to watch!!! :mischief:

About the group C: LEt's not get too excited. At the last 2 ECs, us Dutchies were always in these so called death groups, but nevertheless survived anyway. And last time, Italy didn't survive a group with a couple of Vikings.
And some of those Vikings won the WC 2002 "Group of Death".:D

Getting posted in the "Group of Death" can work against the on paper stronger teams and for the weaker ones, on paper. The latter carry no burden of expectations, have nothing to lose and everything to gain, and they know from the start they're going to hunker down and go to war.

The bigger teams at times seem to assume they just have to put their shoes out on the pitch.

Though I think it's also true most teams with a really rough time in the groups even if they go through have a tendency of being spent, of having been forced to peak too early to make it all the way.

I'm quite surprised they prevent the possibility of a Swiss-Austria in Final.

However, i wouldn't be surprised if they wanted it to happend in quarter final, hoping that Switzerland finish first of its group and Austria second...

For everyone saying "this particular team can't win", remember Greece in 2004!!! Everyone was seeing France, Czecs and Portugal winning the tournament, Greece beat them all.

it's typical of a championship organised in two countries.
It already happened in Japan/Korea. But at least, at that time there were 8 groups.
And don't tell me Austria and Switzerland are so distant to prevent moving to each other!

yeah, we can't do stuff with style, unlike our northern neighbours. just remember that classy WC opening ceremony :lol:

rofl...and damn, i had already supressed this from my memory. that show had such a high cringe factor, really embarassing. i mean they were not only lederhosen guys, who run around in millions on the street of germany day in day out, but they also had those cow-bells in front of their sack and did these strange moves... :lol:

ok, wiener boys choir all the way :goodjob:

but those shows in general are hardcore

Germany is guaranteed to not meet any of Italy, France, Netherlands and Spain before the final ! Quite frankly, Germany couldn't have an easier draw than that... even if it had paid for it ! If Germany fails to reach the final, it would be a major failure.

If Germany is guarenteed to not meet Italy, France, netherlands or Spain, then that means Poland and Croatia can as well? But still, The AB, CD thing is really strange to me.

If Germany is guarenteed to not meet Italy, France, netherlands or Spain, then that means Poland and Croatia can as well? But still, The AB, CD thing is really strange to me.

There's a handy PDF-match schedule on the UEFA website, that makes the whole thing a bit more clear. Though I'm quite sure that people have made some interactive Excel ones as well.

Group C is a peach! :lol: I might just enjoyed this Euro Cup afterall!

It's actually quite fun being a neutral, no nerves about the draw, only laughter when the big teams get drawn together!

^^^ I am not saying it's ideal, just making the most of a bad situation! :)

Top Bottom