Growing while chopping settler (small tip)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Willburn, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Willburn

Willburn Warlord

Just a little tip i picked up. If you want to grow while producing a settler make workers chop forrest while you build something else. The turn the chop is ready you have to switch fast to settler and then it gets the hammers. Then you just switch back to something else until you have chopped enough to finish the settler. In this way you can continue to grow while "building" a settler.

Update: Leov found an easy and hazzle free way of doing this called the cancel-chop method.

Basically you look for when the worker has two turns left to chop a forrest. Then you select chop so that he has done his move for the turn - THEN - you cancle his orders. Next turn you can chop the forrest finished when you need it. This way you dont have the stress of fast switching etc that can fail sometimes. If you need a more detailed information on this method you can read leov's post here

2. meowsqueak

meowsqueak Chieftain

Micromanagement for teh win!!!111oneonetwo

;)

3. clinton

clinton Warlord

Hope the patch fixes that one...

On a related note, there seems to be timing related issues. Maybe civ4 might be more multithreaded, so you can load your CPU to do things in a naughty order. If I cycle through turns quick, I seem to get messages turns after they should come. If only messages are threaded like this, it shouldn't be a problem. But maybe other things you can push out of normal sequence...

Maybe not...

4. LeSphinx

LeSphinx Bachogwa

Excellent tip Willburn
    LeSphinx

5. Dairuka

Dairuka Prince

My guess is this is an exploit.

Hopefully this gets patched.

6. meowsqueak

meowsqueak Chieftain

I've seen that too - in one turn I built a wonder but I couldn't find it in my city. A few turns later (quick ones) I got a message saying another Civ had built that wonder, which explained why I didn't see it. I don't think there's a serious race condition however - the gamestate remains fairly consistent.

I think part of the problem is that there's a fixed delay between each message that appears, so if you hit 'end turn' before the last message, it just queues them up.

What I miss is the mechanism that was in the tutorial - messages were flagged on the right hand side of the screen by a stack of clickable icons. In the main game, this is missing.

7. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

You can still access the message log for all the events in a turn. If you click a message about a unit or a city, then it even moves you to the location.

8. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

You need to keep chopping to do this. I don't see why it's an exploit?

9. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

It's not an exploit
    example a 'pure chop settler' (only produced when a chop is available) costs ~3 Forests 90 production +10 from food +Production on the 'chopped' turns.

A Settler that is being produced normally with say two chops may stop growth, but requires 1 less forest that can be chopped for something else.

Essentially this means that you can use Forests instead of food to build your settler... possible advantage, but not much of an exploit, because the forests can be used for other things as well.

10. Pvblivs

Pvblivs Scriptor

I see the point why people think this would be an exploit: You time your settler-building according to chops. Your settler is solely built from the woods even if you have just one worker. You've got only advantages by this, the only disadvantage is that the other thing you are building (the barack e.g.) builds some sort of slower. The problem is not the chop, the problem is that it is too easy to switch a building.

I thought there would be some kind of decay for delaying projects. So, for example, the settler could loose 5% of its production per turn it is delayed by another project.

That would be a fair trade-off.

11. paceybaby

paceybaby Chieftain

precisly, i doubt this is actually an error- more a modification to the civ3 we were used to where we'd get the news at the beginning of the turn rather than during the turn which we are used to seeing now- much better this way in my opinion, no more stop start nonsense

12. Not_Bob

Not_Bob Chieftain

yes this is very true, and i like this as well

13. anton_z1

anton_z1 Warlord

There is a decay but you will haev to wait a long long time. Although even considering it an exploit, it is not much compared to all teh bad stuff you get on playing very hard level (Immortal,Diety).

14. pris

pris Chieftain

Just a little tip i picked up. If you want to grow while producing a settler make workers chop forrest while you build something else. The turn the chop is ready you have to switch fast to settler and then it gets the hammers. Then you just switch back to something else until you have chopped enough to finish the settler. In this way you can continue to grow while "building" a settler.

im stupid

do you mean use worker to target forest, then start your settler, then back to the worker /

15. Pvblivs

Pvblivs Scriptor

Head the worker to a forest and start chopping. Wait until there is only one turn left until the woods are chopped (mouseover the worker to watch it). Switch to the settler then and end the turn.

Next turn switch back to previous build and head the worker to the next forrest, wait until there is only one turn left to chop, switch back to settler, end turn and so on until the settler is finnished by chops...

This is weird micromanagement, but for some people it's worth the effort it seems ^^

16. Willburn

Willburn Warlord

You never end turn while building settler. You allways end turn building something else. You switch back to settler at the start of the turn because it takes some time before the forrest is chopped on the turn. (Thats how this is possible anyhow)

What i mean is turn1 start chopping and building barracks (f.ex) turn 3 (on standard) switch at once to settler before chop is finished. later on the same turn chop will give you 30 hammers (on standard speed) to the settler. Then you switch back to barracks (f.ex) and hit enter for turn 4 while continuing to grow. Repeat. (or time it so you get more at once etc..)

Im not sure myself if its an exploit or not. It takes advantage of the fact turn events are not all processed at the start of the turn. Its not a SUPER deadly trick either. It can have its advantages sometimes ofcourse.

edit: Last turn before you build the settler you ofcourse have to end turn with settler production.

17. Merzbow

Merzbow Disrecognized Space

This is definitely an exploit then, and a serious game flaw if stuff really happens in the MIDDLE OF TURNS. I mean, this is a turn-based game, not an RTS. Ouch!

18. Merzbow

Merzbow Disrecognized Space

BTW this thread should be in the parent forum, not strategy articles... admins plz move.

19. lastchance

lastchance Chieftain

This is brilliance. Since you're going to have to build that extra Warrior/Archer anyway, growing your city while building the settler seems like a great idea.

20. pris

pris Chieftain

thanks, ill have to try it :)