1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

gueirila warfare/terroism

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by hossam, Jun 6, 2007.

1. El Koeno

El Koeno Emperor

Missionaries etc. are units, but they don't represent armies either, so I don't see the problem there.

Something like submarines, I guess.

2. winddbourne

winddbourne Prince

Seems like guerrilla units are (by common consensus) not military units. Maybe they could be be used like spies, via the espionage system, to attack the "culture value" of a square over time.

They could be seen in turn be military units that came too close, by other guerrila fighters (who could fight them) and by spies/diplomats.

3. Grimz101

Grimz101 King

4. Chengora

Chengora Chieftain

They're definitely military units (covered by Geneva Conventions, carry arms, etc.). But they are more than simple military units, which is why I think everyone is throwing in suggestions. So, at the very least they need to be able to attack regular units, although the attacking "culture value" of a square idea is interesting. Or do you mean the percentage in the population that's of, say, a conquering civ's population?

I'm kind of divided on the whole hiding thing. Yes, in many places guerillas hide in jungles and other difficult terrain. But the chief way they hide is by being indistinguishable from the general population. They tend to hide among people more than they hide among the terrain, since they tend to get more resources from the people than the terrain. Plus, from a game balance side, is a unit that hides from regular troops too powerful? Hiding is one issue, but I think more often than not it's the political consequences of acting that prevent any actions.

Also, interesting thought: if an opponent is using partisans against you, do you have a right of hot pursuit, and how can that be modded? Or is that simply open borders?

5. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

i would like to see industrial age barbarians get a facelift. They would begin spawning barbarian spies, now called terrorists, and would commite espionage against all players - even blaming other countries for their acts. A terror cell should be invisible, revealed by marching a spy unit across it or something of equilivance. Once its learned that there is a terror cell operating, the other AI should have a -2 (saudi arabia) to -8 (united states) "Your supporting terror networks" penalty.

Once discovered, you should have the option to allow the terrorists to work from your nation which you would fund them with resources or gold per turn, as they attack enemies with espionage.

You should also have the chance to save face internationally, by declaring an anti-terror campaign in which you would be given a number of turns to eliminate them, if done so you gain a +1 to +2 bonus with nations who hate terror. If not, you gain a penalty, that after say, 10 turns of "supporting terror" will cause other nations to declare war on this premise.

When a terrorist attacks you, you should be able to send out a spy unit to "investigate" the site of the act which would highlight on the map where the cell is located, exposing it to the globe.

Likewise, if the terrorist is working for someone, there should be a % chance that your spy reveals who its working for, and weather or not it succeeds it should ALWAYS tell you "This terror cell is working independantly" or "This terror cell has recieved funding".

Even if it was less intricate, and was merely a "barbarian camp" spawn that is invisible except to spies and uses spies to sabotage different nations would still make the game more fun.

6. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

the idea sounds complicated, but i like the last thing. i always wondered why there shouldn't be rebels or revolutionaries or crazy nationalists running around in your natio the industrial/modern era.

i also like the idea of blaming another civ for something. perhaps this can be applied to espionage too, where you can blame another civ for your evil work.

7. thadian

So from looking at this thread if guerilla is used or moded in, it should have a unique promotion called "scare tactic" ranking from 1-3 on exp. It wouldnt be a very powerful unit, but it would have the ability...

"Scare Tactic - Unit loses this promotion, and target unit in adjacent tile loses a promotion as well", weather you choose or random i have no idea. Demoting enemy units would be the purpose of these units, as their goal is to weaken and soften enemy troops for the real assault. Maybe instead of a new promotion, the guerilla should have to sac itself to demote.

Terrorists should be barbarians of industrial and further eras who use espionage instead of military (but would spawn military when their camp is discovered).

There should be VERY little interaction with them, and should range from giving them resources-gold-techs etc to commit sabatoge, to paying them to leave you alone.

There should also be an option to declare a 5 to 10 turn terror campaign that would let you offset a +1 to +4 or +2 to +8 negative penalty by defeating them, as nations who fund terror are not generally tolerated. You should also be able to declare a 5 to 10 turn terror support option, where you accept the penalty in the long haul in exchange for the terror camp and militia to join your forces.

At minimum, terrorists should simply be barbarian spies - even without a new game system to focus on them, barbarian spies would be more than a hassle to everyone - even if you couldnt interact with them at all, it would add a new frontier to an era where barbs are obselete.
    (even if a few barb cities on an off island go unchecked the whole game, its unlikely they will pester anyone, which makes them not barbarians after all).

I would also like to see a mod where several nations start with one city, one worker and some troops. You wouldnt be able to settle in this setting, rather build yourself by culture bombing or conquer of barbarians.

8. thadian

Or they could hide their nationality and appear as barbarians? Remember those units in Civ3 that had "Stealth"?

9. 1889

1889 Mayor of H-Marker Lake

@thadian, sounds like far too much effort to include an element that is really not as historically important as people currently think. Simply adding barbarian spies in the late game sounds really cool though. That gives espionage an important defensive role as well.

10. thadian

yeah, i never build spies unless i think im being sabatoged. Barbarian spies would make espionage a LOT more important. To be honest, sometimes in the industrial era, every 20-30 turns ill open the world builder and manually add some barbarian spies (one in each nation, including mine)