Votes: 7 8.0%
  • No I wait for rubber

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • I may do if I can be bother to

Votes: 25 28.7%

• Total voters

apparition

Warlord
For a long time I ignored guerillas and tried to get by until I had rubber until one day I decided to use them in the historical war and it worked wonders.

I harrased (and killed) units, captured workers and disrupted supply lines. This gave me the advantage over an equal foe.

Appariton, plz enlighten me on their uses. 6 - 6 - 1 stats is not very good and its pretty much a penalty unit for ppl without rubber.

They're cheap and before tanks come along none of the enemy units funning around have a defence strength to withstand that 6 attack.

They're not front line invasion units but they're good for creating havoc and giving the AI a real bad day prior to sending in your invasion force.

Remember that power comes from infrastructure. Theirs too

Originally posted by apparition
They're cheap and before tanks come along none of the enemy units funning around have a defence strength to withstand that 6 attack.

Infantry are avilable at the same time, cost just as many shields, and are 6.10.1, require rubber, i see no reason why you should ever build one assuming you have rubber, they are used so if you don't have rubber you have some kind of decent unit

EDIT: by the poll what do you mean "wait for rubber"? it appears at the same advance as guerillas are availble

"it appears at the same advance as guerillas are availble"

I don't think so. From memory you get guerillas at the same time as riflemen

Ah now I remember why I have lots of them.

guerillas are the endpoint of up of upgrades for early offencive units. So I have lots of them because they do not require building and as I stated earlier they are there for harrasment prior to invasion.

I have them just becuase I had alot of Medieval Infantry, and warriors, ect. lying around.

It would be cool if guerrillas were "land privateers". And to make it fair, when the guerilla is killed, there is a chance it will show it's true colors (tribe)

I think the only reason why they exist ist because many people complained (I agree with that!) that Spearman have a really good upgrade path, while Warrior - Swordsman had not much fun at all in modern times.

Now the path is:

Warrior -> Swordsman -> Medieval Infantry - > Guerilla.

Do not know how TOW Infantry and all these new things from C3C are integrated in those upgrade paths...

But the Guerilla is not a very good unit.

It has only 2 reasons to exist:
-> upgrade for osolete Warrior-tree-units

after the upgrade they are still... obsolete however... :)

-> poor man's infantry if you do not have the resources needed for normal infantry.

I only ever have Guerillas from upgrades of Medieval Infantry/Longbowmen - and that only if I have Leonardos or money to burn: the upgrade costs 150 gp w/o Leonardo in Conquests! Thats usually not worth it for me, I'd rather disband the MIs or use them as token holding units.

Guerrillas are not just units to build when you lack rubber and they are not useless units.

You are all forgetting that they get 1 free 0 range shot at any attackers on their stack. For this reason alone I put at least on guerrilla in all my border cities even if I have rubber. Put a guerrilla in a barricaded fort along with some artillery and a couple of infantrymen and you've got an excellent defense system!

Plus guerrillas upgrade to TOW infantry later in the game.

Originally posted by mintyfreshdeath
Missunderestimated? What's the definition for missunderestimated?

With only one S: misunderestimated.

For the definition you'll have to consult George W. Bush. :D

I like them for when an ai lacks rubber, they'll still build a unit that looks acceptable for my tanks to crush.

Originally posted by Moff Jerjerrod
You are all forgetting that they get 1 free 0 range shot at any attackers on their stack.

But that free shot has an attack value of just 3 and only works defensively. Why wouldn't you make more artillery instead? They're cheaper (by 10 shields), have a higher attack value, have a higher firing rate, and can be used offensively.

I agree with what most people seem to be saying. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket and a bunch of medieval infantry/longbowmen lying around, then sure you might as well upgrade them, but I don't see why you would ever build one from scratch if you have rubber.

Originally posted by Dr Elmer Jiggle

But that free shot has an attack value of just 3 and only works defensively. Why wouldn't you make more artillery instead? They're cheaper (by 10 shields), have a higher attack value, have a higher firing rate, and can be used offensively.

However artillery can't capture cities. I understand what you mean by costing less and artillery has it's use but so do guerrillas IMHO. I guess I'm just a combined arms freak. :D

Thanks sir_woland

I forgot another use. Convoy attack as the AI seem fond of convoys of units.

I don't usually "build" guerilla units but I do upgrade my Med Inf when I can. Since I usually have a lot of them, I use them to occupy cities I capture until I can get more powerfull Infantry or Mech Inf into that city. This also allows my to move my offensive units farther without having to wait in that city for defensive reinforcements to arrive.

Other than that I use them like a national guard to fortify on airfields, and in forts over resources. They are great to use as a diversionary force to distract the AI while my main army punches a hole into their territory elsewhere.

They may not be all that powerful, but since I've always got them, I use them.

I tend to get considerable #s of Guerillas from upgrades, and they're be no means useless. The price tag to build to build new ones is too high to make them attractive.

I've never lacked Rubber since I got PTW, and if one day did, I should prefer to build Riflemen for defense - the cheaper cost and upgradeability once I secure Rubber easily beats the weak defensive bombard on the Guerilla. For offense, they could be useful if I couldn't build Cav, but again, lacking Iron or Horses has not happened to me in the Industrial age since I bought PTW.

Top Bottom