Guess the Civs in the 2nd expansion - One World!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Firaxis randomly charged me with coming up with 9 new civilizations for One World, I think I'd choose:

1. Portugal (Last major European colonial power and a perennial civ.)
  2. Zulu (They're a fixture for better or worse. I miss Shaka, tbh.)
  3. Majapahit (Indonesia; would fill that geographic region and they possess a lot of cool options for a well-flavored civ.)
  4. Sumeria (Need another ancient Mesopotamian civ. I prefer Sumeria over the Hittites.)
  5. Kongo (For more African representation on top of Zulu. The Kingdom of Kongo was relatively large and long lived and doesn't get mixed up with Songhai like the Mali would.)
  6. Inuit (Would be an interesting civ that could thrive in tundra/ice. For the argument on whether they really count as a civ, I'd say if Polynesia can get in, so can they.)
  7. Hebrews (Israel, whatever you want to call it. Long overdue for inclusion. Plus, how cool would this be for a leader screen?)
  8. Nepal/Tibet (It isn't that controversial; if it is, China can get over it - after all, the region/culture/people do exist. Would be cool because we don't have a strong mountain civ [Carthage mountain crossing plays second fiddle to the free harbors and Inca was a missed opportunity] in game and there is no one representing the Himalayan region.)
  9. Plains Indians (Comanche, Apache, Lakota, Sioux; any tribe in the west, really. I'm leaning towards calling it a specific tribe in order to match the Iriquois.)

If Firaxis randomly charged me with coming up with 9 new civilizations for One World, I think I'd choose:

1. Nepal/Tibet (It isn't that controversial; if it is, China can get over it - after all, the region/culture/people do exist. Would be cool because we don't have a strong mountain civ [Carthage mountain crossing plays second fiddle to the free harbors and Inca was a missed opportunity] in game and there is no one representing the Himalayan region.)

Are you kidding me? The inca are an INSANELY strong mountain civ! Stick them next to some mountains and they will run away with it.

Are you kidding me? The inca are an INSANELY strong mountain civ! Stick them next to some mountains and they will run away with it.

They play too much upon hills. I'm talking a UA that interacts with mountains in a unique way, not just a UI that gets a bonus when placed next to them.

I don't think civilizations like the Australia, Nepal, Vietnam or any of those will be in the next DLC. They're just nonessential. Here's a list of civs I think won't make it to the next DLC:

1 - Australia & New Zealand (Let's face it. The British Empire ruled Australia and New Zealand (besides, Australia & New Zealand didn't have a long interesting known history). Before they ruled Australia, it was filled with the Indigenous Australians and the Torres Strait Islanders which IMO weren't important at all.. well, maybe kinda)
2 - Nepal (We could use another 'mountainous civ' but at that time, Nepal was ruled by India)
3 - Vietnam (The Khmer Empire already ruled over Vietnam, most of it anyways)
4 - Swaziland (Didn't go to war much; isn't Civ about expanding and 'fighting' over land?)
5 - Minoan civilization (We don't know much about it. I know that they vanished into thin air (not really) but I think the Greeks are descendants of them?)

If any one of these civs gets into the next DLC, I'd be shocked. Now here's a list that I think will make it to the next DLC:

1 - Portugal (Why not? They were the first to sail to India, invented the caravel and the astrolabe, and they found Brazil)
2 - Brazil (There are no current South American civilizations yet. Incas didn't count, unless you count Incas as Peru or Chile but I'm talking about modern times. Brazil won independence from Portugal and formed the Empire of Brazil which later fell within years. Plus, it's got the Cristo Redentor and Cristo Redentor is a world wonder in Civ5)
3 - Canada (Sure! Sid Meier was born in Ontario, so why not Canada, his home land?)
4 - Khmer Empire (Best south western Asian empire besides Siam which wasn't really an empire at all. Plus, Angkor was their capital and Angkor Wat is a wonder)
5 - Zulu or Mali (More African civs, I'm yelling at Sid. 2 African civs weren't enough; Ethiopia and Songhai. Why not return Zulu or Mali? (yes I know Songhai took over Mali) )
6 - Native Americans (We only have one; Iroquois. I think it's time to get more Native American civilizations like the Olmecs, Inuit, Apaches, Algonquins, Sioux, Cherokees, Dakotas etc. We can't forget the people that once use to live here.. well, here in my homeland)
7 - Prussia, Holy Roman Empire or Polish-Lithuania (This is for you Polish (yes I read the replies). Why not HRE or Prussia? They both helped Austria (or Austro-Hungarian) during the Napoleonic Wars against the First French Empire. HRE and Prussia were I think, ancestor of modern Germany? (I meant the country not the people) )
8 - Sumer (First civilization on Earth, or was it?)

This is not what I want in the next DLC. I do want Australia and Cuba and presumably Mexico. I would love to play as Gilgamesh and defeat the Babylons in the 12th century BC. I never got to play as Poland (even in the WW2 Scenario in Civ4) because I didn't like how they were defeated so easily. Only if I can freeplay them.

We only have one Native American Civ??? :huh:

5 - Zulu or Mali (More African civs, I'm yelling at Sid. 2 African civs weren't enough; Ethiopia and Songhai. Why not return Zulu or Mali? (yes I know Songhai took over Mali) )

You forgot Egypt and Carthage, though I'd agree, 4 African civs is a little low when we're at the point of a good deal of DLC and one full expansion pack.

Zulu is almost definite, but Mali's unlikely (though definitely worthy of inclusion).

However, Kongo, Benin, and Great Zimbabwe are other big name and significant pre-colonial African kingdoms and empires and I'd like to see at least one of them (in addition to the Zulu).

You forgot Egypt and Carthage, though I'd agree, 4 African civs is a little low when we're at the point of a good deal of DLC and one full expansion pack.

I don't normally include them as part of Africa, since they had more to do with the Mediterranean than Africa itself. Similar to how I include the US as Europe in terms of civs

7 - Prussia, Holy Roman Empire or Polish-Lithuania (This is for you Polish (yes I read the replies). Why not HRE or Prussia? They both helped Austria (or Austro-Hungarian) during the Napoleonic Wars against the First French Empire. HRE and Prussia were I think, ancestor of modern Germany? (I meant the country not the people) )

The HRE never was much more than a political entity. For most of its relevant history it was held by the Habsburgers (i.e. the Austrians in the game). If you want to represent the historical power of the HRE at its beginning (i.e. under Charlemagne), then its better to include the Franks as a civilization. (Although people might confuse that with France).

Prussia is the heart of modern Germany (even though post-WW1 much of original Prussian territory is in Poland). I see no point is representing them separately. I mean Bismarck was a Prussian.

I think there may be some room for a Polish civ. (Although I am going to cry inside if they call it Poland-Lithuania.)

OK, so they've announced Poland, so I doubt that any of the other civs in otaman1's post will get in. (Holy Roman Empire certainly won't, seeing as it was absorbed into the Habsburg Empire which is represented in CiV by Austria).

Portugal is rather obvious, although I think that yes, they'll include it. It would be great if they included Zulu or Kongo seeing as there are no sub-Saharan civs currently (except for mods, some of them Firaxis standard, but still).

I think they've also announced Assyria.

Indonesia isn't really one civ. As for Inuit, it's similar to Kongo in that it's more of a tribe than a civ, but they would both make good civs. Firaxis, take note. You might just make a civ that makes snow tiles actually do something.

That African scenario is in, so expect at least two African civs: Zulu and Congo, perhaps!

OK, so they've announced Poland, so I doubt that any of the other civs in otaman1's post will get in. (Holy Roman Empire certainly won't, seeing as it was absorbed into the Habsburg Empire which is represented in CiV by Austria).

Portugal is rather obvious, although I think that yes, they'll include it. It would be great if they included Zulu or Kongo seeing as there are no sub-Saharan civs currently (except for mods, some of them Firaxis standard, but still).

I think they've also announced Assyria.

Indonesia isn't really one civ. As for Inuit, it's similar to Kongo in that it's more of a tribe than a civ, but they would both make good civs. Firaxis, take note. You might just make a civ that makes snow tiles actually do something.

Assyria isn't confirmed, but the Siege Tower with Yellow and Sand colors screams Assyria to me.

If it follows the same pattern as G&K, there will be some civs that tie into the scenarios. So, Zulu seem pretty likely. The Civil War scenario is focused on the Eastern theater, so maybe the Eastern Band Cherokee or Seminoles or Cree.

I'd say that Brazil and Portugal tie into the global trade routes and tourism stuff very well.

There is 9 total again. So the game will have a total of 43 civs. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom