Guess the Demo release date...win a prize

Potentially hurtful statement aside, it's nice to hear there are teens who appreciate something more refined than FPS's.

20 something is not teen. Some of us are already losing hair...

Potentially hurtful statement aside, it's nice to hear there are teens who appreciate something more refined than FPS's.

Sometimes i feel like i'm one of the youngest "hardcore" civ players here :crazyeye: But I don't really know anyone else who would play Civ over a FPS, which is saddening really :(

20 something is not teen. Some of us are already losing hair...

I said over twice as old as me, which would put my age somewhere between 15 and 19 (of which I choose to not specify :))

I'm gonna revise my guess and say it'll be out on the 7th, maybe even the 14th.

I figure they could have a demo out now if they wanted to, since they're essentially letting people play a demo at gamescon. I'm guessing they're holding it back to give limited exposure, wanting to give us a taste rather than several weeks of "free play."

My guess is that it will be out a few days before the release. The only potential a demo will have is to get people NOT to buy it if it falls short. A non-Civ fan is not waiting on the demo to see if he/she will buy. A Civ fan may be waiting on the demo to see if he/she will buy. A demo that comes out early may dissuade some from paying release price that otherwise would have, thinking that they will wait for any found issues to be patched. For those that are waiting for the demo before they buy, then it really doesn't matter when it comes out as long as it doesn't deter pre-release or game-day sales. That would be my thinking - and is only my opinion.

My guess is that it will be out a few days before the release. The only potential a demo will have is to get people NOT to buy it if it falls short. A non-Civ fan is not waiting on the demo to see if he/she will buy. A Civ fan may be waiting on the demo to see if he/she will buy. A demo that comes out early may dissuade some from paying release price that otherwise would have, thinking that they will wait for any found issues to be patched. For those that are waiting for the demo before they buy, then it really doesn't matter when it comes out as long as it doesn't deter pre-release or game-day sales. That would be my thinking - and is only my opinion.

I hope for at least a week before the release day to make people even more excited for the game when it actually does come out.

I hope for at least a week before the release day to make people even more excited for the game when it actually does come out.

A demo MAY get some non-Civ fans on Steam interested and lead to purchase, so there is hope that 2K looks at it from that angle.

A demo MAY get some non-Civ fans on Steam interested and lead to purchase, so there is hope that 2K looks at it from that angle.

Yeah this is true, normally releasing a demo won't do much, how will non-fans play it?, But with Steam, it is advertised and easily available to the whole Steam gaming community, personally I found a game that sounded good on paper, but I wasn't sure, so I got the demo that was available on Steam, played it for a few hours, decided it was worth the £10 to buy it, unfortunately I didn't pay attention to when the "deal" ended for the game, so by the time I finished making my mind up it was £20, but I liked it so I brought it, and then after some much more involved testing I have decided that Infact I dont like it much :D. But anyway, the Demo got me to buy the game (for twice the price too), even though I was not a fan of that company/that type of game/or any pre-quels. So yes releasing a Demo on Steam will get some people to buy the game.

Anyone who is here still undecided if they will get Civ5 and who may be persuaded not to buy it if the Demo falls short, surely shouldn't be here in the first place, this forumn is for dedicated and diehard Civ "FANATICS", if Frixasis packaged a tea coaster in a DVD-Game case and marketed it as the "next installment of Civilisation" most of us hard-core fans would be in the shops on the day it was released & buy it, when we get home we might be disapointed that all it does is hold a drink on a table without marking the table, but we would have blindly brought it all the same, if this doesn't describe you, then your clearly not a True Civ Fanatic.

I found a game that sounded good on paper, but I wasn't sure, so I got the demo that was available on Steam, played it for a few hours, decided it was worth the £10 to buy it, unfortunately I didn't pay attention to when the "deal" ended for the game, so by the time I finished making my mind up it was £20, but I liked it so I brought it, and then after some much more involved testing I have decided that Infact I dont like it much :D. But anyway, the Demo got me to buy the game (for twice the price too), even though I was not a fan of that company/that type of game/or any pre-quels.

Just curious - What was the game ?

Elrikk

That's right. Guess the Demo release date and win a prize package.

The Prize Package includes:

The honour of playing the Demo on the exact same day that you guessed!

A McDonald's Happy Meal*

* Happy Meal not included.

My guess is Sept. 8th

I'll guess the 6th!

There are only a few possibilities: 1st of sept, 2nd of sept, 3rd of sept, 4th of sept, 5th of sept, 6th of sept, 7th of sept, 8th of sept, 9th of sept, 10th of sept, 11th of sept, 12th of sept, 13th of sept, 14th of sept, 15th of sept, 16th of sept, 17th of sept, 18th of sept, 19th of sept, or 20th of sept.:king:

I... win...:cool:

9/11 :cool:

Just curious - What was the game ?

Elrikk

It was king arthur something or another, role playing game probably, and the reason why I decided I didn't like it was because it had no replayability, and if you did something wrong you would feel it later on, like making one decision was always worse than going for something else, also it had the annoying habit of crashing which pissed me off quite a lot, I hate it when companies cant release working games, or even patch game to work sufficiently, ^>^.

I don't get it, why would the demo come out on the 9th Of November, I hope it won't, the game is released in September!!!

I'm 21 and I've been playing since civ2 on PSone when I was about 9 so meh to young people not playing civ. As for demo release the 7th is a good bet as most demo's are usually 2 weeks prior or launch day. If the demo is on launch day I'll probably cry than be happy because I finally get to play CiV. Also does anyone remember the old glitch from civ3 where if you demanded 9999999999999 gold per turn from a cpu enough times you would actually get it? Did that ever get patched out as I still have the vanilla unpatched version on my very old laptop and it still works.

I asked a supporter from 2K Games, and he says they are working to get the demo out "on or around the 14th of september". I'm not sure how well-informed he is or if it is just rumours...

September 10th is my guess. Friday.

one question. if I purchase the game from steam, do i get it the same date as the US release or do I have to wait until europe release since I live in europe?

September 2nd before PAX here in Seattle

Top Bottom