Guess the map 14: We mapped our sky before we mapped our Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gelion

Retired Captain
How to guess the map:

1. Someone posts a map, and you try to guess what the map's supposed to represent.
2. Person who guesses correctly gets to post the next map guessed on, or they can declare open floor, and then the thread is left dormant for several months it's first come first serve to post the next map.
3. The longer time it takes, the more and "better" hints the person who posts should give.
4. Map should be reposted at the top of every page. A default page is 20 posts long.

If you're making a map and need guides on all the island countries in the Caribbean Sea and the Indian and Pacific Oceans, here you go:

Spoiler :

Here's the blank maps put in every thread, copy-pasted from last thread:
Spoiler :

Old threads also link these three sites, so check them out if you want:

Ancient threads:
Guess the map
Guess the Map II: witty sequel titles failed me
Guess the Map III: The Map Lover's Paradise
Guess the Map IV: A Thousand Cries for "Hint Please!"
Guess the Map V: A Map is Worth a Thousand Words
Guess the Map VI: Retroactive Cartographer
Guess the Map VII: Bhutan vs. Peru
Guess the Map VIII: Didn't Color the Island Countries
Guess the Map IX: The Richese are no match
Guess the Map X: "Portugal? Going to live it up down ol’ South America, huh, Mikey?"
Guess the Map 11: New map at least once per year
Guess the Map 12: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Hate Mercator
Guess the map 13: Mercator maps are cool, actually

Our first maps were indeed of the night sky. First question coming in the post below.

No hints yet, here's the first map:
Mapofmyseriousstuff.png

No hints yet, here's the first map:View attachment 604040
Is this climate-related? I notice that the white patches are regions of the world that receive so little precipitation that they are classified as deserts (which don't have to be hot; they just don't get much precipitation).

(excellent OP and thread title! :yup:)

Is this climate-related? I notice that the white patches are regions of the world that receive so little precipitation that they are classified as deserts (which don't have to be hot; they just don't get much precipitation).

(excellent OP and thread title! :yup:)

It is certainly climate related :)
(I am tempted to take your compliment as my customary CFC title. Thank you :D :hatsoff:)

Areas in countries contributing towards climate change?

Something about temperature/heat absorption of the environment?
I tempted to say it is somewhat related, but finally it is as related to climate as anything else.

White = deserts.
Dark blues (more than one shade) = rainforests (whether tropical or temperate).

Is vegetation part of this?

White = deserts.

I think you're right.

So maybe something like intensity of green (chlorophyll) reflectance, or net oxygen production?

White = deserts.
Blue does correspond to many rainforests, but its not that. I think its time the scale was introduced:

Red - less
Blue - more
White - none

Not really, but somewhat loosely related.

I think you're right.
So maybe something like intensity of green (chlorophyll) reflectance, or net oxygen production?
No, its not related to oxygen or its production.

Related to rivers?
Not directly.
Even so, whatever this map tracks also seems to follow the courses of major rivers, e.g. the Amazon, Nile and Indus are all blue, but the Tigris/Euphrates and Rio Grande are red/orange.

Would exploring differences between these rivers (e.g. with respect to some type of human impact?) therefore be informative?

Cool map.

Blue: places likely to see more dramatic changes in coming years.
Red: less dramatic changes

Even so, whatever this map tracks also seems to follow the courses of major rivers, e.g. the Amazon, Nile and Indus are all blue, but the Tigris/Euphrates and Rio Grande are red/orange.
Would exploring differences between these rivers (e.g. with respect to some type of human impact?) therefore be informative?
I would say that it is more useful to focus on where these rivers are located.

Cool map.
Blue: places likely to see more dramatic changes in coming years.
Red: less dramatic changes
would be my guess as well
You would be half right! :) Correct on the blue. Red needs reformulation to be 100% exact.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom