Guide - How to change font size

Myrdek

Chieftain
I'm posting this to help out people like me who find the text in this game to be much too small for their monitor. I had the same issue with Civ IV using my 40 inch tv with 1920x1080 resolution.

1- Open your Civ V installation directory

2- Open assets\UI\Fonts\Tw Cent MT

3- Make a backup of the files in this directory

4- Make a copy of the file that represent the size you want to have and rename it to replace the small size
ex: Make a copy of TwCenMT22 and rename it TwCenMT16 (replacing it)

Civ V has adjustable windows for pretty much everything and I haven't seen any issue no matter the size I choose. (Aside from the trademark thingy after the intro)

I hope this will help people with big screens, bad eyesight or that just get headache like I do when reading small fonts.

Thanks ... I'm on a 52"@1920x1080, but I sit about 8' away, so sometimes even the 'large UI' isn't good enough. Guess I could bump down the resolution a step too, but everything is so much sharper at native res.

Any clue on how to modify font colors? Maybe it's just something with my monitor, but the darker reds/purples are rather hard for me to make out, especially when they're against a black background.

I mostly notice it on the combat odds/predicted outcome display.

I'll try increasing font size when I get home from work, maybe the bigger font will make enough difference even without color changes.

Myrdek,

Thanks so much for the help. I'm using a 32" and sitting 10' away!! Talk about a geek....I'm in the chair looking at the screen with binoculars!!!

Anyway, thought I followed every step correctly, but must be brain dead. I saw no difference. I even replaced ALL of the font files with the largest one, by renaming it 5 or 6 times, but no dice! Any other suggestions? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Myrdek,

Thanks so much for the help. I'm using a 32" and sitting 10' away!! Talk about a geek....I'm in the chair looking at the screen with binoculars!!!

Anyway, thought I followed every step correctly, but must be brain dead. I saw no difference. I even replaced ALL of the font files with the largest one, by renaming it 5 or 6 times, but no dice! Any other suggestions? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Not geek. Fanatic. Welcome to the forums :)

Thanks for the welcome. Still dying for some help. I'm old and my binocular arm is getting tired. :lol:

I've tried this and I can't seem to get it to work. Even after replacing all files in the directory with the 24 version, I notice no difference in the text size. Is this Steam compatible?

Just tried it and it works for me, Steam + patch 674

Make sure the file has a .ggxml extension and not a .xml extension

I finally solved this. It didn't work for me because my font backup folder was in Assets/UI/Fonts as well. It had different name from "Tw Cent MT", but the game would still find data in it. When I moved that backup folder on my desktop, It worked. (I was installing the game on the fresh computer, so I encountered this problem again)

I'm posting this to help out people like me who find the text in this game to be much too small for their monitor. I had the same issue with Civ IV using my 40 inch tv with 1920x1080 resolution.

1- Open your Civ V installation directory

2- Open assets\UI\Fonts\Tw Cent MT

3- Make a backup of the files in this directory

4- Make a copy of the file that represent the size you want to have and rename it to replace the small size
ex: Make a copy of TwCenMT22 and rename it TwCenMT16 (replacing it)

Civ V has adjustable windows for pretty much everything and I haven't seen any issue no matter the size I choose. (Aside from the trademark thingy after the intro)

I hope this will help people with big screens, bad eyesight or that just get headache like I do when reading small fonts.
Sorry to ressurect this thread. There is not a single example out there that says WHAT I should rename the files to. I am running at 4k and tried halving all the numbers in the filenames (22 became 11 etc) and the game crashed upon loading. Would appreciate more info on this. Thanks!

You need the same filenames - so renaming TwCenMT22.ggxml to TwCenMT11.ggxml won't work as the game is looking for TwCenMT22.ggxml (not TwCenMT11.ggxml) doesn't find it and will crash. What you can do is delete/move TwCenMT14.ggxml, copy TwCenMT22.ggxml and rename it as TwCenMT14.ggxml and then you'll have a 22pt font everywhere the game uses a 14pt font.

You need the same filenames - so renaming TwCenMT22.ggxml to TwCenMT11.ggxml won't work as the game is looking for TwCenMT22.ggxml (not TwCenMT11.ggxml) doesn't find it and will crash. What you can do is delete/move TwCenMT14.ggxml, copy TwCenMT22.ggxml and rename it as TwCenMT14.ggxml and then you'll have a 22pt font everywhere the game uses a 14pt font.
Thank you once again whoward69; and apologies for the abysmally late response.

Top Bottom